It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did god put the wrong sun in the sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Creationists and IDs: i would like to know your stance on this little detail:

Why are there no green suns?

The funny answer to that is: "because ours is green." A sun is pretty close to emitting ideal black body radiation. Our sun peaks in the green (as does every blackbody radiator around that temperature) You can make suns reder, you can make them bluer, but ours is as green as they come.

Why are plants green?

Photosynthesis, that miracle, absorbs red and blue light. It cant make anything out of green, and therefore reflects that back.

See? The sun puts out most of its visible light in a wavelength plants cant use. Why would god or an ID do that? He actually messed up with "let there be light" already.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
First of all the sun is not green. It is called a yellow dwarf star. This should be apparent due to the fact that the world is not surrounded by a greenish hue

Second of all, plants are green because they contain Chlorophyll, not because they block red and blue.

Thirdly, photosynthesis has nothing to do with the colour of plants, it is a process in which use the energy in sunlight to convert Carbon Dioxide and Water into sugars. Which in turn, creates chlorophyll.

Fourth point, if the sun put light in a form that plants couldnt use, then plants wouldnt exist on Earth

Almost every point you made is incorrect

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What makes you think that if there is a god that it would do everything the way you consider "right"?

Our sun obviously works, and works well. Plants thrive by it, I understand wholly what you're saying but I must be missing the point, maybe god wanted a green and blue planet? Maybe god didn't really care all that much about earth. Maybe god didn't consciously design every aspect of reality, maybe the randomness inherent in the system is, in itself, by design.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Can you provide proof of any of your claims debunky?

Or can i debunky your thread?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

You do realise chlorophyll is pretty much an enhanced pigment right? Plants are green because they don't absorb green. It's reflected, they absorb all the other spectrum colors, usually.

As to the sun being green, I don't know astrobiology at all so I was just going with what OP said.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Wow, Oz! I didn't know your knowledge-base goes beyond that of weather-related issues.

Why did god put the wrong sun in the sky?

Anyway, back to the topic: Maybe there are other 'universes' with other colored suns. Ours just happens to be 'yellow'. I think that golden sun of ours is just perfect and not wrong in the least!

[edit on 2009-3-09 by pikypiky]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot

You do realise chlorophyll is pretty much an enhanced pigment right? Plants are green because they don't absorb green. It's reflected, they absorb all the other spectrum colors, usually.

Yes that is correct, but the reason they are green is because chlorophyll is composed of green pigment which in a large sense is due to sunlight, but not "green" sunlight like the Op is claiming

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Ok, the light the sun puts out isn't "green" to the eye, every photon contains a spectrum of color, like a prism. What OP is saying, and I don't know how true this is, is that there is more green in the sun's spectrum than any other color. Logically this should mean that plants use that pigment for photosynthesis, plants absorb light which is composed of ALL visible pigment, but they reject the green in the spectrum of color.

The suns light isn't green, it contains green. White is a composite of all the colors of the spectrum, therefore light is white from the sun.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm kind of confused. Your intent seems to be an argument for evolution but you're saying that plants evolved badly. Or is your point that they evolved under different sun?

Actually, sunlight peaks not in green, but in the violet-blue region (about .4nm) but there is really very little difference across most of the visible spectrum. From violet to red the difference amounts to about 6%. That's why, for all intents and purposes sunlight looks white.
eetd.lbl.gov...

There are two kinds of chlorophyll; a and b (how original). Each has different absorption spectra.Chlorophyll b is capable of absorption across the spectrum so to say that green cannot be used is not completely accurate.
www.chm.bris.ac.uk...

In any case, unless you are intending to say that Earth plants evolved somewhere else in the galaxy, they seem to be doing ok.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh wow, I didn't know the bit about two different kinds of cholorphyll, that's nifty.

I knew the sun peaks in violet, duh ultraviolet. I'm just a forgetfull dummy tonight.

star for you

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Everything your eye sees is because of the reflected, absorbed, or transmitted wavelength of the object.

Source

In the same way fat provides the most efficient calories for humans, red light provides the most efficient food for plants. However, a plant illuminated only with red or orange light will fail to develop sufficient bulk. Leafy growth (vegetative growth) and bulk also require blue light. Many other complex processes are triggered by light required from different regions of the spectrum. The correct portion of the spectrum varies from species to species. However, the quantity of light needed for plant growth and health can be measured, assuming that all portions of the spectrum are adequately covered. Light for plants cannot, however, be measured with the same standards used to measure light for humans.

Source

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
hypertextbook.com...

5 sources all putting the peak at 500 nm. That is green.

But i must confess that i didnt put this down very accurately. But doesnt it seem like a bit of a waste to have plants absorb red &blue and not use green. (didnt know that about a & b either. thx phage)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by debunky

It seems those sources all use calculated values (based on estimated temperatures for the sun) rather than measured values for peak radiation levels. I think that accounts for the difference. Apparently the Sun may be a little hotter than the values used for the calcs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that absorption by the atmosphere flattens the curve significantly, reducing the difference between the visible wavelengths.
solar irradiance

I think 500nm can be classified as blue-green, but that is a bit of a moving target.

Blue Light The visible blue light has a wavelength of about 475 nm. Because the blue wavelengths are shorter in the visible spectrum, they are scattered more efficiently by the molecules in the atmosphere. This causes the sky to appear blue.

Green Light The visible green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Grass, for example, appears green because all of the colors in the visible part of the spectrum are absorbed into the leaves of the grass except green. Green is reflected, therefore grass appears green.

eosweb.larc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 3/9/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I got a good question.

First God made heaven & earth 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. 3 And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. What kind of light was this! compared to what he created on day three?

Then on day three God created:

And God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light upon the earth." And it was so. 16 And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also. 17 And God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light upon the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

What kind of light did God first create? What did God mean by let there be light. It must have been something else then the Sun light. God created the Sun on day three.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Please be civil folks. Argue with facts, not with snide comments.

Thanks

Nef.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Thanks piky

I know a bit, but its a long time since I did anything like this. Last time was in college which was five years ago, lol....thats why I asked Phage to come here, he's the real expert

To the Op, were you refering to the sun being green or the green spectrum within the sunlight...bit confused

new topics

top topics

join