It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will get a slice of Antarctica??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
**maybe this needs shifted to another forum**

hi,

i noticed this clip on BBc news about the British claim on Antartica. Its rediculous to me as i personally feel no country should have a claim on this continent.

news.bbc.co.uk...

another falklands in the making!!!

have posted this link to wikipedia as well which states all the claims that have been lodged for this continent.

en.wikipedia.org...

earths only continent without a human population, yet countries feel they have a right to stake a claim. they should just declare the whole continent a national park that can never be touched.

give it time, halliburton will be in there drilling for oil in no time.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by grantbeed]

[edit on 9-3-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I would say give it to Australia. They seem to have the smallest continent.
no Offence to anyone

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The British are not claiming Antarctica, its claiming a piece that overlaps the Argentina and Chilean sections.

Its not possible for one country to own Antartica due to some treaty that was signed years ago, by all the countries that own a slice already

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A bit about the Antarctic treaty:

Antarctica has no government and belongs to no country. Various countries claim areas of it, but while some have mutually recognized each other's claims,[41] no other countries recognize such claims.[5] Since 1959, new claims on Antarctica have been suspended and the continent is considered politically neutral. Its status is regulated by the 1959 Antarctic Treaty and other related agreements, collectively called the Antarctic Treaty System. For the purposes of the Treaty System, Antarctica is defined as all land and ice shelves south of 60° S. The treaty was signed by twelve countries, including the Soviet Union (and later Russia), the United Kingdom, Argentina, Chile, Australia and the United States. It set aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, established freedom of scientific investigation, environmental protection, and banned military activity on that continent. This was the first arms control agreement established during the Cold War.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
:p i should claim a small area
u know.. to store toxic waste

top topics

join