It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Law (not Marshall Law)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Wasn't sure where to place this so mods feel free to move or delete this if it goes against any rules.

I read alot here on ATS and find most conversations interesting. However, I've been getting really irked lately with many incorrectly typing Marshall Law in place of Martial Law.

The word Martial is an adjective used to describe war conditions or relating to the armed forces. Marshall is just a name. Military suspension of free rights is not a law developed by someone named Marshall.

en.wiktionary.org...

Sorry if I come across as rude or anal retentive, but it's been driving me nuts. Thanks for listening.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Oh oh, grammar police

You must have been reading one of my posts, lol....i realised I typed it wrong, but couldnt be bothered changing it

Hope you didnt find my bad spelling offensive

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I see and understand what you are saying... Welcome to the internet where proper grammar and punctuation need not apply.

My question... how is this warranted under the "general conspiracy discussion" section?

Posts in wrong forums really irk me.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I don't think it was you, in fact I'm not blaming any specific person, just trying to inform everyone as I regularly see it come up.

I know these posts make me sound arrogant, but I often make mistakes when typing stuff as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this up.... it drives me crazy too. Being online doesn't mean that we all work together to unravel the language. Spelling included.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Reason I posted it here was this is the forum where Martial Law is most often discussed.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
Posts in wrong forums really irk me.

Ditto! Just go to the Breaking Alternative News section for tons of that.
That forum keeps taking a beating.
ALTERNATIVE = NON-MSM!!![/B]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Novastar824

You should also start a thread about typing errors such as:

Obama verses McCain

more then

Does Obama have duel citizenship?

These kinds of errors are prevalent among posts made by conservatives.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I was actually going to say something as well but then I thought who gives a #@$%.

What bothers me is not that it's spelled wrong, but the fact that the some of the threads come off sounding like they're speaking from a position of authority, like it's inevitable. Just because it's capitalized doesn't mean it's going to happen.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The first thing that came into my mind when reading this thread:

(Whiny Brady voice)
Martial, Martial, Martial!!

Sorry, just had to!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Im not a grammar nazi,but if i got a penny for everytime i heard someone on here spell *loose* instead of *lose* id be a millionaire...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It only irks me when it's in the title of a thread not so much in posts.

And an easy way to remember which Martial/Marshall to use is to just think of Martial Arts like Karate, Judo etc rather than the Marshall who knocks on your door to take your worldly goods when you don't pay your fines. lol

Word associations can help with correct spelling sometimes.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Novastar824

This really irks me as well. Also, they're, their, there. It all just irks me. And, oh, the mispellings I see on the scrolling on the bottom screen of newcasts. It makes me livid. My daughter wears a T-shirt that reads, I luv speling with fonics.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

My question... how is this warranted under the "general conspiracy discussion" section?

THERE IS A BAD GRAMMER CONSPIRACY AGAINST US THAT'S WHY!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

HaHaHaHaHaha!!!!!!

(wiping eyes....I nearly 'loost' my dinner!!!)

However, 'looseing' my dinner on another person, would be somewhat correct. My belt is 'loose', but if I don't win the game, then I 'lose'.

For the OP, et al, this is a funny relief from some of the more serious issues that flit about on the Boards.....

Everyone makes typos....I can say that, after hitting that little 'Post Reply' button, I go back to review....and mostly EDIT just to correct misspellings.

Sometimes, I miss a few. Others do too, I surmise.

No need to be the 'spelling police'.....it is 'frootless'!

new topics

top topics

join