It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Ill. pastor deflected gunshot with Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Police: Ill. pastor deflected gunshot with Bible

news.yahoo.com

MARYVILLE, Ill. – A pastor shot and killed during his Sunday sermon deflected the first of the gunman's four rounds with a Bible, sending a confetti-like spray of paper into the air in a horrifying scene that congregants initially thought was a skit, police said.

The gunman strode down the aisle of the sprawling First Baptist Church shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke with The Rev. Fred Winters, then pulled out a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol and began firing until it jammed, Illinois State Police Director Larry Trent said. Churchgoers wrestled the gunman to the ground as he waved a knife, slashing himself and two other people, Trent said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
An attempt on the part of God to perform a miracle before the eyes of the church goers went awry. The 66 books of the Bible were not a match for a 45 caliber pistol firing in rapid succession. Before God manged to jam the handgun, the pastor was shot dead.

The gunman lost his opportunity to commit suicide ,and so he may mention, like in the recent case, that God told him to try to kill the priest.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/8/2009 by stander]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
We already have a nice little discussion on this running over at www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why not come and join in?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

An attempt on the part of God to perform a miracle before the eyes of the church goers went awry.

That's an utterly ridiculous comment to make in reference to this tragedy. Obviously, the minister used his Bible defensively, but it is not made clear which of the four shots struck and killed him.

I seem to recall in a previous similar shooting, that the church was accustomed to dramas taking place during the sermon without announcement and that the congregation failed to react initially because they thought the killer was an actor.

There are ways for churches to screen visitors to their congregations in a friendly and non-threatening way and also to know in advance if any activity in the sanctuary is planned or not.

We live in very troubled times and security is something that everyone need to take seriously, even at church.

[edit on 2009/3/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The gunman lost his opportunity to commit suicide ,and so he may mention, like in the recent case, that God told him to try to kill the priest.

I'm sure god did tell him to kill the priest
. But the irony of this case is that the congregation thought it was part of the usual "drama" presented during the sermons.....what sort of shows did the pastor put on for the congregations enlightenment...the mind boggles.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

An attempt on the part of God to perform a miracle before the eyes of the church goers went awry.

That's an utterly ridiculous comment to make in reference to this tragedy.

I see that you must be either very thoroughly familiar with the way God's mind works, or you are just making a deeply atheistic remark.

Obviously the priest couldn't be killed by the first round fired. Think about it.

[edit on 3/8/2009 by stander]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Oh my! Heck of a job Goddy!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this at @2:25 this afternoon, before yours and before stormdancer's over in other current events. You might check before you post a new topic.

You're welcome to participate:

Above Top Secret

Thanks

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Sestias]

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I posted a thread on this at @2:25 this afternoon, before yours and before stormdancer's over in other current events. You might check before you post a new topic.

Above Top Secret

Thanks

I did check the first page but came across only "Famed pastor predicts imminent catastrophe," which is now locked, and I figured that the famed pastor must have been someone else, coz if you are very good in predicting the future, you wouldn't miss the vision of a 45 pointing at your face during your sermon, right?

[edit on 3/9/2009 by stander]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I'm sorry but that is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

Above Top Secret

Thanks

I did check the first page but came across only "Famed pastor predicts imminent catastrophe," which is now locked, and I figured that the famed pastor must have been someone else, coz if you are very good in predicting the future, you wouldn't miss the vision of a 45 pointing at your face during your sermon, right?

[edit on 3/9/2009 by stander]

Check my link, included in my post.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here (OCE) :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussions.

Thread Closed

top topics

join