It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens Episode on History Channel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don't know if any of you are watching this show right now, but they were just talking about the possibility that ancient civilizations (Egypt, Iraq, etc) were using electric devices for things like artificial light.

They talked about there not being any light in the tombs in the pyramids, and not enough oxygen for torches, and they went on to say that the Egyptians were using light bulb like devices. They showed an etching found of what they looked like. Basically, it was a flower that was in an enclosed tube, with a string like thing inside the tube, and the stem of the flower coming out a hole in the tube.

Instantly I thought that what they did was light the string (wick), put it in the tube, and use the flower for oxygen to fuel it. I don't feel like it's as simple as that, but it makes sense to me.

Does anyone else know about this? Or did the show not give that explanation to make it seem more mysterious

I feel somewhat smart for coming up with this so DON"T LAUGH AT ME

Just kidding, but let me know what you think.

--C

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I just saw the show and it was great. I knew about 90% of what they were saying since I browse this site daily. But I was definitely glued to the TV. There is already a post concerning the Egyptian Light Bulb. I think there is a few. It contains links to a picture of the glyph.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One guy did say one thing that makes sense. If they did build light bulbs and electric currents (the pots in Iraq) then where is the other evidence. Like the wires, etc... He says you can't build juts one part of it and not have evidence of the other parts.

It truly is mysterious and those pictures are subject to much interpretation.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by mvirata]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

And as for the pots... I know I keep saying this, but they couldn't have carried a charge, the guys who reconstructed them as batteries purposefully changed the designed to make them work.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I was unimpressed with the show. Very much lacking in matter of fact presentation and boring as usual. The History channel always seems to put on lackluster episodes when it comes to the "Alien" enigma.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mvirata
One guy did say one thing that makes sense. If they did build light bulbs and electric currents (the pots in Iraq) then where is the other evidence. Like the wires, etc... He says you can't build juts one part of it and not have evidence of the other parts.
[edit on 8-3-2009 by mvirata]

I actually laughed when the guy tried that as argument. You can EASILY only have one part and be missing all the rest.

Example:
A small group of nomads are trekking across an area and come across copper wires. Not knowing what they were originally used for, they take the wires to the next town to have a metal worker melt them down into pots and pans.

Glass is easily broken up into pieces easily lost in the sands.

Things decay and break down. Life goes on, and we only get remnants of the past, no different than oral tradition (the whisper game).

Very good show. I'm with you... been with ATS for a decent time now, so none of it was new info (actually, watching it, I swear I saw this exact program before).

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I didn't watch the show, though I did want to, I had to go back to school and it conflicted with more important plans, thats all. Hopefully I can catch a rerun.

But about the Egyptians using lightbulbs and there not being enough oxygen in the tombs for torches... This much is false.

I've seen a lot about this before, and there are burn marks on the walls where torches were placed. Whether or not these torches were from the dynasty periods or something archaeologists used in the 1800s, it doesnt matter, the tombs didnt change, if there was no oxygen in them 4000 years ago, there wouldnt be oxygen in there 200 years ago, either.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
AHHHHGGGGHHH

its painful to watch

that show is terrible,

its is filled with massive inaccuracies and almost half truths

its a shame because the subject is valid

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 7H3Y 4R3 C0M1N6

Erich Von Daniken seems to have learned his lesson from his past mistakes. His questions have always been valid, and it is a shame he had to put in some false claims to sell books in the 1970s.

I was also hoping they would interview Graham Hancock, who has a different theory of an ancient civilization and does not use the ancient astronaut theory. They should also do a show on the anomalies of Mars.

It was an entertaining show, and much better than I thought it would be.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I caught it late last night and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I haven't read Chariots...(yet) but the subject-matter is fascinating. I particularly liked the segment on those precisely carved blocks in those ruins just outside of the Mexican site

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Watched parts of it last evening too.
What was the name of the section they referenced?
Despara or something to that effect?
Would like to research it.
Was suppose to be were the egyption priests keept there knowledge of such things.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by MREALE]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks09
AHHHHGGGGHHH

its painful to watch

that show is terrible,

its is filled with massive inaccuracies and almost half truths

its a shame because the subject is valid

I agree, except for the last sentence. The subject is innocent of any validity whatsoever.

I few months back I was chastised for bringing up Hancock's lies about the carvings in Pacal's tomb in Palenque Mexico where VonDaniken claims he's flying a spaceship and Hancock continues the farce in "Fingerprints..."

Apparently, some folks around here got tired of me using the same examples of pseudoscience and how it's practitioners simply lie to their followers.

Well, what did we see this idiotic "documentary" constantly flashing back to?
The same carving of Pacal.

Now you can see why I keep bringing it up - the Maya left glyphs explaining what the carving is - Pacal is falling through the Mayan depiction of the tree of life.

Similarly, in Dendera, there are hieroglyphics explaining those so-called "lightbulbs" right there on the walls next to these carvings.

They are lotus bulbs.

The show was so bogus it was a pukefest. Especially the way they seemed to venerate that liar VonDaniken, who has admitted to forging evidence.

I wonder how many people noticed that they kept allowing the publisher of a fringe mag to act like an "expert" on the subject.

I wonder if that guy is biased in favor of sales???
Harte

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
My 14 year old autistic son and I came up with a theory about my transmission in my 4wd Xterra using the same logic as the magazine publisher....since neither he nor I know or understand how it works then aliens obviously must be responsible, right?

It's insulting to earlier civilizations to think that they were too stupid to work stone. The evidence that they did it is right in your face. I mean come on...ancient astronauts travelled all the way to Earth to pile up rocks? Kinda like cattle mutilation....they sneak around at night just to core out a cows butthole?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I really enjoyed the show last night.. Lots of valid points were made, with factual evidence to back what is there for people to see...
As far a critics, put your head back in the sand it must be a nice comfortable place. BTW, the earth is flat too....

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
Kinda like cattle mutilation....they sneak around at night just to core out a cows butthole?

Now, hold on there Griffinr!

You ever tasted cow butthole roasted over mesquite, shish-kabob style?

Hard to keep those suckers on the stick, until the heat puckers 'em up a little.

Worth travelling a few billion light years for.

Harte

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Even my son commented on the fact that the "expert" supporting all the "facts" was a magazine salesman. An earlier post mentioned factual evidence. Well I agree that stones and carvings are facts but where is the alien visitor evidence?

Again our modern bias makes us believe that the ancients were ignorant in math and astronomy. I would think an ancient would make a modern man look like a blithering idiot in the wild today.

PS: I like my cow bungs rare please

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

The subject is valid, but most of the so called evidence is in fact bogus.

Here's my thing,
there are places around the world, in many cultures, where the gods are said to have come down to earth.

The stuff about the maya was extra painfull.
Pacal was 8' tall what the hell???
maya pryamids are idealized representations of a mountain

pacal built his pryamid after making a pilgramig to a sacred mountain in guatemala. He even duplicated the river that runs under the mountian with a canal under the pyramid.

And the golden items that look like planes are flying fish.

And that rot about Tiahunaco(spelling???) being over 17k years old..

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The subject interests me as well but the show was moronic. It had nothing new to add and no new evidence to support the theory. But my son and I watched the whole thing so I guess History Channel got what it wanted

Lets see something new and valid for a change. And lets try to find an "expert" who isn't in the business of selling a magazine. How about some scientists...archeologists maybe? In my opinion it was the magazine publisher who sort of invalidated the whole thing for me.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I already had a thread going about this. I only mention it here because I noticed some posters were wanting more information. I provided the shows highlights and some good links if you'd like to look:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was a rather uneventful show and didn't show me much I didn't already know about but, there were artifacts I hadn't seen. All in all I think it could have been a one hour special, not two.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

funny....i was under the impression that many scientists and archeologists sell books. does that then invalidate anything they have to say?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
to harte: ( since reply to seems to be non functioning right now)

i would be curious to know that "fringe" magazine publisher's name and qualifications. i didn't get to see the entire show, and i can't seem to find it on history channel's website.

there's nothing wrong with fringe. it's the fringe who are continually keeping the rest of the scientific community at large on their toes. sure they may be wrong quite a bit, but at least their thinking. to show such disdain for the fringe, really is just saddening to me. and as my previous post show's, just because someone sells something doesn't make their opinions invalid. also, you don't have to be working as an archeologist with a degree and everything, to have opinions or study ancient cultures. micheal shermer, whom i saw on that show for 30 seconds, is a publisher...and is frequently used as an "expert" though as far as i'm aware (correct me if i'm wrong please
) is not an archeologist. nor is he a biologist. nor is he an astrobiologist, yet his opinions are used quite frequently in a myriad of shows.

you can't have it both ways

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join