It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very old portuguese coin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have found a very old Portuguese coin dated from 1737.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it is worth. Thank you

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Frosti]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
What a beauiful coin. Nice find.
With these sorts of things it could be worth x amount of dollars but if you don't have a buyer it really does not matter. I would take it to a coin shop for evaluation as it might be a copy or a replica.

With a quick search on eBay a similar one is selling for 125$.

cgi.ebay.com... 317457&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Good Luck

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
there are still lots of copper coins left from the 1700's

have one myself.

cheap as dirt.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It could be a rare coin, or also worthless. I'd be careful about taking it to shops that deal in coins, they may tell you its worthless and buy it cheap off you. It isn't just about the metal content or intrinsic value, it can be the condition (don't clean it or rub at it, handle by the edges only) and how many were minted, or if it's commemorative or of historical value, it's desirability, etc.

You could have the same coin, same year and one could be worthless while the other has an astronomical value, many things are taken into consideration when assessing their value.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
thx a lot, i was thinking on cleaning it up, but maybe i'll leave her just like this. A friend of mine told me that in banks, i can get the real value of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think I have seen a coin like that, maybe on my grandfather's (small) collection.

I think that there are books about old coins that may be useful, we (me and my sister) have been thinking about getting one of those books to see if our coins have some value.

Now I just have to find where did we put the coins.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Frosti

DONT CLEAN IT

take it to a bonafide coin expert for an appraisal

and they will laugh at you, probably not but theyll want to, if you try to cash it out at a bank.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Take it to an appraiser, and get a coin guide for yourself. There are all sorts of price guides you can buy, ranging from national to international coins and the centuries they belong to. This way you can tell if the appraiser is giving you a fair approximation.

I used to collect coins and stamps. Back in the 80's, the famous and rare inverted biplane airmail stamp was worth around $25K-$75K depending on condition. Now it goes for $750K and up.

Price of coins and stamps, like anything else, have to do with supply and demand, as well as the condition they are in.

I still have thousands of stamps and first day covers, including some late 1800s U.S. stamps and an entire set of non-postmarked Hitler stamps.

[edit on 3/9/2009 by pjslug]

top topics

join