It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor Shot During Service

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Hi Ashley it seems the alleged shooter had been suffering from Lyme's disease, and had left temporal lobe damage.

I didn't know Lyme's could do that.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by Stormdancer777

How tragic. Like others, I am curious to know the motive. Is it a vengeance killing for some unknown, disgraceful act committed by the pastor or was this the act of a deranged lunatic without a cause?

Like everyone else, I wonder what caused the young man to single out the pastor but I also wonder if I'll think it's less of a tragedy if the pastor turns out to have been some major jerk. If he somehow "deserved it", then I've got some repenting to do for allowing myself to think that way.

Whitewave, before you make that ammo run you spoke of in that BTS thread, would you like to carpool?

Hop on in the car,girlfriend.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Seizures of the temporal lobe can have dramatic effects on an individual's personality. Temporal lobe epilepsy can cause perseverative speech, paranoia and aggressive rages (Blumer and Benson, 1975). Severe damage to the temporal lobes can also alter sexual behavior (e.g. increase in activity) (Blumer and Walker, 1975).

www.neuroskills.com...

How sad.

The whole thing is just tragic.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
A pastor is in the position to recieve confessions or be 'in the know' of things and people.

There are laws and reccomendations for 'when to go to the police' with information, when, a person in certain professional capacities comes by way of information or knowledge that if not revealed or addressed would cause harm to others. -I don't recall the terminology and don't have a clue how it applies to priests.

But for motive additions, say the priest found out something about the guy, and the guy caught on that the only thing coming between him and freedom was the priest.

Maybe he thought the priest was going to talk-or found out that he had.
Also thinking the child crime motive and random nut job theroies are just as likely. Unless they are still practicing hypnotism on the weak willed as disposible assassins-and the priest knew something REALLY important.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

if the pastor turns out to have been some major jerk. If he somehow "deserved it", then I've got some repenting to do for allowing myself to think that way.

We all have those thoughts.

If the pastor is totally innocent of any wrong doing, and this kid is sick, I really feel sorry for this poor kid too.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by HugmyRek

Hug, there is a big difference between a pastor and a priest in regards to confessions.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
It's sad to hear of anyone getting killed by another individual

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
This is very sad. But it is no different from anyone being killed, anywhere.

Whether it be the battleground, the street, the home or wherever.

Just because this man was a pastor does not make him any better or worse than anyone else.

We are all flawed, and all deserving of life.

It is not up to us to judge our fellowman, or to cut short his or her life.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Perhaps he went for healing and was told that church did not practice healing/laying on of hands, or he went for healing and was not healed. Either way it might have left him bitter toward the pastor.

As I mentioned in another post I have not been to a Baptist church that does laying on of hands or faith healing so if there are Baptists out there that do please forgive my ignorance. It is sad to hear the young man has a bit a brain damage. I did not know lymes disease could cause that either.

Raist

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

I find it disturbing that you would use the MURDER of a fellow human to further your agenda of spreading hate towards Christian beliefs.

I did not at any point in my post use any hate words, I merely asked some questions.

It would appear that xtians are forever claiming of miracles and faith healing the reality of prayer and how jesusyawhegod saves.

I'm only asking why this man wasn't healed what's your problem with this question, it's perfectly valid considering the outlandish claims that are made to children in order for them to become an xtian.

Why are you so distraught ? I don't understand please enlighten me.

To touch on a previous posters remark now we're talking, why is it such a tragedy that this man is now dead? Xtians are forever harping on about how they are looking forward to the day that jesusgod comes and kills everyone and that thy will then join the jesusgod in the sky.

Surely this man is happy now he's dead, this is what he wanted and looked forward to no ?

What difference does it make whether this man had died today or tomorrow, he's been told that he's going to go to jesus pretty soon as a pastor he was probably telling his sheeple this 3 times a week, that they're all off to the sky soon the end is imminent.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a heartless bastard I find it very saddening when people die, but when the people that die had already told me, that they are ecstatic at the thought of dying and meeting up with their god, I'm obviously happy for them when it happens although it seems to contradict how I should feel.

Please explain why you hold anyone in contempt for being happy for someone who's got what he claimed to have relished.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by deepred

I find it disturbing that you would use the MURDER of a fellow human to further your agenda of spreading hate towards Christian beliefs.

I did not at any point in my post use any hate words, I merely asked some questions.

It would appear that xtians are forever claiming of miracles and faith healing the reality of prayer and how jesusyawhegod saves.

I'm only asking why this man wasn't healed what's your problem with this question, it's perfectly valid considering the outlandish claims that are made to children in order for them to become an xtian.

You can't even say His name. His name is Christ. He is The Lord. And he loves you in spite of yourself.

You asked those questions in such a way as to mock the beliefs of Christians (yes, that's how it's spelled...) You can't cover up your actions by pretending to be sincere. Your intent is clear to those who believe in The Lord Our God.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BostonBill99

You asked those questions in such a way as to mock the beliefs of Christians

If an xtian dies and goes to jesusgod, he gets his wishes no? If I feel joy that he has got what he relished then I would obviously have ad to have accepted his belief.

If however I'm all cut up about the xtian dying, I'm obviously of the opinion he's dead the end nothing, that is mocking his belief. You can't have it both ways my friend.

(yes, that's how it's spelled...)

Obviously my spelling is as equal importance to you as that of the subject at hand, are you now insinuating that the dyslexic are possessed by demons, or ar you trying to deflect the questions I asked ?

You can't cover up your actions by pretending to be sincere. Your intent is clear to those who believe in The Lord Our God.

Surprisingly there is a measure of sincerity about me and often shows through in some of my discussions with less fundamentalist xtians, you obviously won't notice this of course as you have quite a few locks on your box.

How about a sincerity challenge, you answer the questions above sincerely and I will sincerely consider your answers and take it from there?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Oh no. That is so very sad. I ran some Google searches last night for updates and used additional search terms like 'motive' and 'cause' but came up with nothing. Thanks for adding that input.

Even more tragic. So that would essentially make both the pastor and shooter innocent victims if that is the truth and whole truth of the matter.

Like White Wave, my sympathies would have been closed to nil had the pastor been involved in some criminal or violent activity but not only is that not the case, it appears the shooter was suffering from something beyond his control. Almost like a victim of rabies going mad one day. My sympathies all the way around but at least the pastor is in a better place.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Neither can you Moocowwoman, your past actions have made it clear that you despise Christians. So you are not just asking questions or being a well wisher for this man and his family. To play innocent like you are just asking 'a few questions' insults everyones' intelligence including yours. Don't try to play dumb now when your past actions have you clearly labeled a hater. Isn't that why your last thread was closed? It was a hate thread about Christians?

Don't even bother replying to me. I do not wish to hear from such a bigot. I am using the 'ignore' function.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
An appalling number of people who are members of this site which seeks to deny ignorance have delighted in leaping in here to stand around the pastor's body like a lynch mob to shout the same things Our Lord heard "If you are the Messiah, save yourself!"

The total ignorance of what Christianity, the institution some have declared war on is astonishing. Grief is Universal as is concern, it is sad that another pastor, those who so often leave themselves vulnerable to this kind of attack by the necessity of availability to the broken and tormented, should have fallen in this attack in the sight of his congregation, some of whom might have been children.

I note that some now justify their heartlessness by pretending they were asking honest questions.

I, perhaps with a degree of risk, find the following most objectionable.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Let's discuss the topic and not one another.
The topic is: Pastor shot during service.
Why?
I have to say, the first thing that sprung to mind was that this pastor might have been guilty of doing something awful with a child.
The second thing that came to mind was that he might have stolen money from the congregation.
Nothing's to say that this wasn't a random, unprovoked incident, but I suspect otherwise.
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if more information surfaces.

After the promising first line that a member of staff on this forum would then choose to frame questions more fitting to the ignorant ideologues of the past is appalling.

Would it be acceptable were an african american to have been shot to sit back and ask "maybe he was guilty of trying to sleep with a white-man's wife? He might have stolen my neighbour's pick-up truck?"

As it is it seems that a man with a medical condition was brought to a point of extremis for him, the pastor and the congregation we can but pray in the solidarity of the Body of Christ while the crows pick at his body hoping to find another string to add to their war-bows.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari
Would it be acceptable were an african american to have been shot to sit back and ask "maybe he was guilty of trying to sleep with a white-man's wife? He might have stolen my neighbour's pick-up truck?"

Excellent observation and question, Supercertari. Although it did cross my mind as well to wonder if the pastor had been up to no good, your analogy definitely makes us question our own thought processes once you set up the scenario in such a way.

I have to admit, even as a Christian and one who was disgusted by several of the replies in this thread, I was still asking myself 'What might the pastor have done to deserve this?' Good on you for pointing out our hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by HugmyRek

Hug, there is a big difference between a pastor and a priest in regards to confessions.

Granted, but, people with mental problems do not know that; and pastors may be prone to listening.
I get confessions of felony crimes thrust upon me, all the time; for some reason people think I am a safe place to dump their conquests.
Maybe the same for the pastor, is all I am saying.
If he even asked, "how are you doing?" and the guy responded, "I want to blow up the US!" --or something-- then, possibly, I don't know the exact changes in law, but, then possibly the pastor would need to report to police;

And then possibly, in this progress of time from the question to the answer to the deciding what to do about it, the mental man realizes.... "oh crap! shouldn't have done that!"

or, like I see often,
the mental person both unloads his problems on the 'listener' and then targets the listener as the source of the mental patients woes.

Just because there is a difference between priests and pastors, and confession boxes and interpersonal 'chatter', the 'history' of the truth or ideal of pastor/parrishoner relationships; and the embellishment of movies, would still cause a misunderstanding of this to be reasonable.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
People get shot every day. It's a pity but I don't see what makes this threadworthy.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CapsFan8
People get shot every day. It's a pity but I don't see what makes this threadworthy.

It would appear that a pastor has greater value than an Iraqi baby or an afghan priest.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
LOL! Do you guys not keep up with the Middle East forum? As someone else said, if someone farts in a foxhole over there, there is someone on ATS to start a thread about it.

The next thread I see about rape or murder, I'll ask the question, 'So what? Rape and murder happens every day. Not very thread worthy.'

I will be very popular, I'm sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join