It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new cyborg music

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hey all

Thought I should write a post about the coming cyborg culture which will be so extremely superior to all today known kinds of artistic expression.

what do you think the new cyborg music will sound like? since it will be created by machines for machines i think it's pretty hard to imagine. I have made some thinking on my own which I will post here but the actual end result will probably be even better!

A lot of machines seem to work pretty fast and CPUs also seem to become faster and faster for each year. I think it will probably have a pretty fast beat per minute. Machines also seem to like to work long periods of time. It is therefore likely that a song will be very long, maybe like 1 week.

The music will probably be consisting of very complex patterns and would be impossible to write down in notes. We should be prepared to develop a new kind of note system, preferably binary based so that all the new keys can fit in the system.

Repetitive patterns are common amongst machines. This will reflect in the music. In the future, since machines will have the ability to learn, the music will probalby contain some parts with alternative patterns in order to provide stimuli to the machine intelligence. It is also possible that some songs may contain dynamic parts that will change depending on a large number of variables and equations. We need to focus resources and hours to develop this new type of mathematics.

Another interesting aspect is also that since different machines have different types of sensors - all machines does not, for obvious reasons, have audio sensors. There will be a need to be able to translate audio to all other kind of mediums that machines appreciate. I would think that a good start would be to translate audio to light, since both are based on wave length.

Have anyone else experienced that machines of different kind seem to respond well to fast pased, repetitive sounds? I benchmarked my own computer while played different kinds of music. The result may indicate that the computer machine's performance is improved while playing music such as techno or other computer genereated sounds. The best results showed while playing Kraftwerk. Also, my toaster burnt two pieces of bread while performing these tests. This has never happened before since it's calibrated to make perfect toast. Coinsidence or not, what do you think?

Regards,
Kos - believer of machine evolution

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
To be honest that is nothing in comparison to what real cyborg music will sound like. The human bio-processor is uncapable of productng the kind of sophisticated type of music I am refering to.

In fact, the current tone system will have to be abandoned and replaced by a more complex one. For example, let's say that the tone A has a frequency of 40 Hz there would be a need to have a system that describes 40,1 Hz or even the tone 40,00001 Hz.

One thing that also struck me is that the concept of art is really the interpretaton of the bio-processor. Therefore, I strongly believe that we will not be talking about a song or a painting. We will simply be speaking of a piece of art. The piece, that ultimatly will be a string or an equation, can then be input either by audio or visually. It will simply not matter in the future.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
HI kos, interesting to think of what music will be like in the future.
I cant quite grasp what your refering too, wether it be cyborg generated music for humans or for each other. Would cyborgs even bother with music?
If were talking about humans then you first have to take into account our hearing range is 20hz to 20khz & thats at the extreme with most of us not hearing past 16khz or bass frequencies around 40hz upwards.
As for new keys, well we already have the ability to tune to any frequency, its just that it doesent sound right if you know what i mean although i read here that middle A is currently set at 44ohz but for perfect harmonic pitch it should be 432hz which would obviously offset every other note on the musical scale.
It would be interesting to hear a piece of music tuned to those frequencies.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Are you talking about A.I making music?

If so that would be interesting to see what it comes up with, hmmm.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kos!!
To be honest that is nothing in comparison to what real cyborg music will sound like. The human bio-processor is uncapable of productng the kind of sophisticated type of music I am refering to.

Im curious as to what this means.
If we cannot produce the kind of music you mean then how do you know what it will sound like? or dont you - you are guessing?

I also think you would be suprised at just what kind of music we can produce, it may be that you/we havent heard it yet due to trends.

Try listening to some good psychedelic trance, its very creatively written!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm wondering if the opening post is talking about a different version of Trance or a new type of techno or something. That's all that really comes to mind pretty much when I think of something like that. Since a lot of people seem to affiliate the electronica genre with robotics or something of the sort.

Also the only thing I really noticed when playing any genre of music whether it be in Japanese, Classical, or Vocal Trance. It always seems to slow up especially in windows media player

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Music is an expression of one self. I am a musician. AI wouldn't create music for it self, because it serves no purpose to a computer. Humans are "moved" by music. Robots don't need an extension of there creativity. I think in their eyes, music is non productive and would become obsolete. And i say to that, Hell yeah!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Slightly of topic but i just wanted to show you that people push boundries with music all the time.
This guy wrote this while he had leukemia - its called "spiritual healing" and is one of the nicest pieces of electonic music ive ever heard.

enjoy.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Im curious as to what this means.
If we cannot produce the kind of music you mean then how do you know what it will sound like? or dont you - you are guessing?

I also think you would be suprised at just what kind of music we can produce, it may be that you/we havent heard it yet due to trends.

I don't know what it will sound like, I am only making guesses based on my knowledge of machines and robotics. Sure, there are a lot of different kinds of very creatively written pieces of music existing today. However, I believe that a vastly superior intelligence, i.e. future machines, will have different preferences than humans which will reflect in the art that these machines will produce.

I think it is fairly safe to assume that a post singularity AI will have the ability to be "moved" by stimuli, for example music. Therefore, art in any form will not be obsolete. It may be used to improve productivity for example.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher

Seconded, Psy-trance is excellent music. So very different to many other genre's of electronic music and is NOT just a series of looped 'bang-bang-bang-thump-thump-thump rubbish.

I suggest you visit www.ektoplazm.com as it has a lot of free and legal downloads and will hopefully give you a taste of the style.

In regards to computers making music for other computers, i don't really understand the concept, because music is a tool for emotion. Emotion is an organic concept that cannot be recreated.

But good thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kos!!

I see what your saying but i suspect future AI will always be trying to replicate what humans did and so would probably listen to our music.

If your talking about when there are no humans then i suppose it depends on how advanced they are, or how human like they are.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

In regards to computers making music for other computers, i don't really understand the concept, because music is a tool for emotion. Emotion is an organic concept that cannot be recreated.

But good thread.

Upon further thought, the idea that a set path of commands, combined with an element of semi-random notation (when i say random, i mean it in the loosest term because of the structure of western music) could produce something akin to music.

But i'm of the belief, music comes from the heart and soul, and thus anything a machine could produce would be clinical and soul-less.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Machine art will be superior to human art because of the following reasons:

1) The machine will operate on a much higher level of intelligence than humans do because it will be able to process insane amounts of information in extremely short time.

2) The machine will also be able to observe the world which means it will be conscious. (heart and soul as refered to in the post above).

3) The machine will be able to input the art stimuli through a very high amount of medias. Audio and visual impressions will just be two of many possible inputs. Because of this the complexity of a piece of art can be greatly increased.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kos!!
Machine art will be superior to human art because of the following reasons:

1) The machine will operate on a much higher level of intelligence than humans do because it will be able to process insane amounts of information in extremely short time.

Again i disagree. We are affected by mood, vibration, pitch, timbre, notation, frequency - BECAUSE music affects our mind, body and soul.... It affects the air around us and is an acoustical energy.

A computer will only see the binary code (of digital to analogue conversion) and will not appreciate anything.

Data processing does not equate to intelligence. Are you trying to tell me a pocket calculator is more intelligent than a human, just because it can process multiple numbers?

2) The machine will also be able to observe the world which means it will be conscious. (heart and soul as refered to in the post above).

Erm.... no. It will respond to a series of pre-programmed commands, neither questioning or understanding, just serving.

3) The machine will be able to input the art stimuli through a very high amount of medias. Audio and visual impressions will just be two of many possible inputs. Because of this the complexity of a piece of art can be greatly increased.

Apart from pretty algorithms that could create fractal art or such, a computer/machine will NOT appreciate anything. Artificial intelligence is just that.... a parody of something. Would you eat a plastic banana, just because it looks like a real banana?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ok, I can agree that I simplified the ways to input information from a song in the human organism. There are other types of medias that will react to stimuli such as vibration etc. And sure, mood is a variable that may affect the interpretation, but mood is not a part of the art piece.

Of course I don't consider a pocket calculator is more intelligent than a human. What I am talking about here is post singularity machine intelligence. That is, after the point in time when machine intelligence is smart enough to improve itself. This will also lead to machine consciousness.

Imagine one consciousness that will have almost infinte information and processing capability through networks all over the world. A consciousness like this will certainly be far more advanced than a human in almost all aspects.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hello!

I just found this forum so this will be my first post.

Since this seems to be a hot topic, and as i am a big fan of sci fi and has been doing alot of thinking about it i just felt like comment this thread.

Well since the human brain, in certain science-guilds, are considered to be some what of a state machine with a dynamicly amount of states and inputs, i must say that i think kos has something to say about the future development in cyborg technology. And as there are models today for this kind of math (not very advanced) i think the future point onto super AI-future!

Lets say that the first step is to incorporate tools and stuff into workers limbs, like maybe drillingmachines and # into the labour force of mines and stuff. Later maybe scientist will be helped by having a flash device or something and the story continues till we have replaced the brain with articifial stuff. And the i think the revolution of machine-art will happen!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son_of_Neo

Well since the human brain, in certain science-guilds, are considered to be some what of a state machine with a dynamicly amount of states and inputs, i must say that i think kos has something to say about the future development in cyborg technology. And as there are models today for this kind of math (not very advanced) i think the future point onto super AI-future!

Lets say that the first step is to incorporate tools and stuff into workers limbs, like maybe drillingmachines and # into the labour force of mines and stuff. Later maybe scientist will be helped by having a flash device or something and the story continues till we have replaced the brain with articifial stuff. And the i think the revolution of machine-art will happen!

Cybernetic implants is also very interesting!

Slightly off topic, but I had an idea that if enough people around the world would be willing to implant different types of cybernetic sensors which would communicate over the air to a main frame that would collect the data and process it, we would be able to extrapolate the future, assuming the world we live in is deterministic - which all data indicates.

We would then be able to predict the future and also be able to change the variables so that the outcome would be in line with policy.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is a very interesting theory Kos!

The determinism theorem is the centrepiece of Kaos theory (which is very cool).

If we had unlimited amount of sensor data and very very high computal power (due to bio processor main frame technology) we would probably have the power to control the worlds destiny.

This might be done in an itterative process. For example - a limited geographical volume has a limited event-space. So in the beginning of this revolution we will be able to controll maybe 0.00000001 cubic inch, and then a bigger and bigger volume till we controll the entire earth!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join