It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earlier Date Suggested for Horse Domestication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It is a long way from Kazakhstan to Kentucky, but the journey to the Derby may have started among a pastoral people on the Kazakh steppes who appear to have been the first to domesticate, bridle and perhaps ride horses — around 3500 B.C., a millennium earlier than previously thought.

The archaeologists wrote of uncovering ample horse bones and artifacts from which they derived “three independent lines of evidence demonstrating domestication” of horses by the semi-sedentary Botai culture, which occupied sites in northern Kazakhstan for six centuries, beginning around 3600 B.C.
Source

I find this interesting. Archaeologists have pushed back the date for the domestication of the horse by 1000 years. New evidence has been uncovered in the region long thought to be the origin of horse domestication. This is the earliest evidence to date, however I think that they will eventually find more evidence that will push back the date even further. My personal belief is that the horse was domesticated possibly as early as 6000BC, but no evidence of this has yet been found.

Just goes to show you that our history constantly being revised. They are finding signs that humans were more advanced than we previously thought. Who knows what else is buried under millennia of dirt and cataclysm, that we will never find.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So, as an example for others, a Subject I ran across and wished to bring to ATS for their observation dealt with the early timeframe of Equine Domestication. I searched the Archives and found a similiar topic, which despite having little attention, still carried forth the same message. Here's a New Post, applied to an appropriate topic which is currently making, or taking up, space in ATS already. It may even grow to a full page or more of relevant materials in time, and allow for those seeking any of this information ONE PLACE to find it, apposed to many, Threads.

Archaeologists discover earliest known metal bit

The earliest known metal equestrian bit has been unearthed by archaeologists in Israel.

The bit was discovered in an equid burial site at Tel-Haror, and had probably been used on a donkey.

Archaeologists led by Professor Eliezer Oren, from Ben Gurion University, made the discovery in a layer of material dating from 1750 BC to 1650 BC, known as the Middle Bronze IIB Period.

It is among a growing number of sites in the Near East yielding the remains of horses and donkeys.

But

“Until the excavation at Tel Haror, archaeologists had only indirect evidence for the use of bits,” he said.
“An example of this indirect evidence is wear marks on equid teeth at the fortress of Buhen in contexts dating to the 20th century BC. “At Tel Haror, we retrieved the actual metal device.”

I found it interesting how the use of the Horse, and family members, has spread in the region as well.

Other discoveries in recent years in the Near East have painted a picture revealing the extensive use of donkeys and horses in ancient cultures.

The Vulture Stele, in Mesopotamia, dating to 2600BC to 2350BC, known as the Early Dynastic III period, portrays an equid pulling a chariot-like vehicle.

Various Mesopotamian manuscripts dating to this period mention the horse, donkey, hemione and hybrids such as the mule.

From Sumeria, terracotta reliefs from the early second millennium BC show equids pulling a chariot and a human riding horseback.

Hittite art from the 13th century BC, in modern Turkey, show a larger species of equid, perhaps a horse, pulling a chariot with three soldiers, in contrast to smaller equids in Egyptian murals pulling chariots with only two men.

Horse bones were found at Tell el-’Ajjul, in Israel, in contexts dated to around 3400BC and, in Turkey, at Bogazkoy, from the 17th century BC.

Archaeologists excavated donkey remains at Tell Brak in Mesopotamia dating between 2580BC and 2455BC.

Egyptian donkey burials dating to 2000 BC to 1550 BC, known as the Middle Bronze II periods, include those found at Inshas, Tell el-Farasha, Tell el-Maskhuta, and Tell el-Dab’a.

From similar time periods in the Levant – the area including most of modern Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian territories – archaeologists have excavated donkeys at Tell el-’Ajjul and Jericho.

I find it a little strange that we are finding the dates for the regional use of Horses and Donkeys dated as they have been, but I am sure there is a reason for this which will be clearer, as time progresses.

I trust any and all, who may have similiar materials for consideration, would also include them within this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

Shane
edit on 18-6-2012 by Shane because: speling

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Howdy Shane

What do you find strange in these finds?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You'all might find this interesting
horsetalk.co.nz...-JXScLCv7N
Tried to post some passages from this article, but it crashes my browser.
It's fascinating that horses were domesticated in Saudi Arabia 9k years ago. The level of domestication shows that they were working with horses far earlier.
edit on 20-6-2012 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I am looking for some specific information Hanslune.

It's part of something I started in 06, and keep looking for relevant finds to build a case.

It all revolves around Metal Working, Agriculture, Livestock Domestication, and some of our more Specific Bloodlines on the Planet going back to The Time Altantis was removed.

Thrace, and the Steppes Region is where it will be found to have picked up from the "Golden Age".

It will one day, all point to there.

The best thing is, I got about 20 to 30 Various threads that will be ONE at some point. At least thats the intent.
As for Punkinworks

I am posting your Link and Text for all. OK?

Evidence for horse domestication: the picture gets clearer

Scientists have in recent years unearthed startling evidence on the early domestication of the horse.

Scientists believe a simple thong-style bridle was the first used in domesticated horses

A thong bridle is simply a leather thong draped over the gap between the teeth of the lower jaw and knotted under the chin, with the trailing ends acting as the reins.

Plains Indians in the United States called this a war bridle or racing bridle and it most likely is the type of bridle that was developed first.

Evidence comes from research into the Botai culture in Kazakhstan, the world’s largest landlocked country, situated in Central Asia.

The research made headlines in 2009, with news that evidence uncovered suggested that horses in the region were both ridden and milked.

It was suggested the evidence pointed to the very beginnings of horse domestication, pushing it back to 5500 years ago.

You see Hanslune, We are now in Kazakhstan.
A Very good article though. I liked this.

“There is no question that there are similarities in the Plains Indian societies and some cultures on the Eurasian steppe that depended heavily on the horse, but we must take care in carrying that analogy too far,” Olsen said.

And the Saudi Aspect is yet pushing things further back.

The discoveries in Al-Magar, in Saudi Arabia, are equally startling.

They not only push evidence of horse domestication back to about 9000 years ago, but may also point to the very roots of the Arabian horse breed.

There is quite a full account of the items being found there.

Nice page to add Punkinworks

Ciao

Shane

edit on 21-6-2012 by Shane because: My Bad

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shane

I am looking for some specific information Hanslune.

It's part of something I started in 06, and keep looking for relevant finds to build a case.

It all revolves around Metal Working, Agriculture, Livestock Domestication, and some of our more Specific Bloodlines on the Planet going back to The Time Altantis was removed.

Hmmmm so what sort of 'bloodlines'? What do you mean by 'The time Atlantis was removed', do you mean the date in the story by Plato??

Thrace, and the Steppes Region is where it will be found to have picked up from the "Golden Age".

It will one day, all point to there.

The best thing is, I got about 20 to 30 Various threads that will be ONE at some point. At least thats the intent.

Golden ages are difficult to find but good luck, let us know in the future, what you found

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You absolutely never know what "pops" up when searching archives for materials.

Here two offerings are found, about the Horse.

And I did wonder, at one time, why the drawings denoted dotted horses. I guess we have that answer now.

Cavemen had spotted horses – and they painted them

The black and white spotted horses found on cave paintings existed during the last ice age, some 25.000 years ago, according to a new research published by scientists from the University of York.

The ancient Dalmatian style painted horses have puzzled archaeologists and paleontologists for years now, as they were unable to figure out just what they described – horses seemed to be out of the question, and most believed they were actually abstract or symbolic drawings thought up by Stone Age artists.

However, new DNA analysis of bones and teeth from over 30 prehistoric wild horses has shown that some shared a gene that would have caused the unusual dotted patterns that have been witnessed on these murals.

In another link,......

Cave-painters of horses were 'realists'

That means ancient artists were drawing what they saw around them, and were not abstract or symbolic painters - a topic of much debate among archaeologists - said the findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

By analysing bones and teeth from more than 30 horses in Siberia and Europe dating back as many as 35,000 years, researchers found that six shared a gene associated with a type of leopard spotting seen in modern horses.

Until now, scientists only had DNA evidence of monochrome horses, such as bay and black.

One prominent example that has generated significant debate over its inspiration is the 25,000-year-old painting, "The Dappled Horses of Pech-Merle" in France, showing white horses with black spots.

"The spotted horses are featured in a frieze which includes hand outlines and abstract patterns of spots," explained Terry O'Connor, a professor at the University of York's Department of Archaeology.

"The juxtaposition of elements has raised the question of whether the spotted pattern is in some way symbolic or abstract, especially since many researchers considered a spotted coat phenotype unlikely for Paleolithic horses," he said.

"However, our research removes the need for any symbolic explanation of the horses. People drew what they saw."

And it reminded me, that yeah, some depictions of the Horse are actually quite old, although it doesn't demonstrate Domestication at this point. Likely more, Meals on the Hoof, so to speak.
Go figure, France is in the mix as well.

Just a parting Photo for effect.

Ciao

Shane

new topics

top topics

join