It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coconut Oil - The Healthiest Oil on the Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

1. Promoting your heart health
2. Promoting weight loss when and if you need it
3. Supporting your immune system health
4. Supporting a healthy metabolism
5. Providing you with an immediate energy source
6. Helping to keep your skin healthy and youthful looking
7. Supporting the proper functioning of your thyroid gland
etc. etc.

[promotional link removed]

[edit on 8-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
can you run an internal combustble engine on coconut oil i,ve researched vegible oil an the like but never this oil thank,s

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm no nutritionist, but I was under the assumption that extra-virgin olive oil was the healthiest. I've never used coconut oil before, I wonder if it's good for deep frying?

Peace

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
There are many healthy oils, rice bran oil and fish oil are very good for you too.

My favourite though, is macadamia oil

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I love virgin coconut oil. I have bought 5 lb tubs from Tropical Traditions. It's wonderful for frying chicken and shrimp and of course, any candy. I agree with the first post, it's a Good Thing.

Only use virgin.

Edit to add links: Article on Coconut Oil
Tropical Traditions

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
An adjunct to this -- avoid Soy like the plague. Soy is now in almost everything. Soy is poisonous in a number of ways. It appears the soy industry subverted Coconut oil labeling it as unhealthy (10-20 years ago). The truth is now out. Coconut dissolved the cellular membranes of parasites and destroys them. The book - www.wholesoystory.com... - details the evils of soy although it is written as an axe to grind the information, I believe is correct. Soy is part of the general health conspiracy with a side effect being the repression of alternative oils.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I love coconut oil-The cosmetics companies have done a good job telling everyone they need oil-free products (and demanding the FDA to not consider esters oils) when plant oils are the best possible thing you could use, even with severe acne.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Gaw, I have just recently become interested in Coconut cremes and oils. remembering days of old on the beach when I was young and healthy, I knew it was really good for the hair and skin but now I can even use it in cooking? Great!!! Thanks OP, I will look into it, I just hope they are not genetically modified coconuts used in the processing...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Go to the Tropical Traditions website linked in my post.
No, I don't work for them, I just did a lot of research to get to this company.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
I love coconut oil-The cosmetics companies have done a good job telling everyone they need oil-free products (and demanding the FDA to not consider esters oils) when plant oils are the best possible thing you could use, even with severe acne.

Are oils really good for the skin? I have heard that if you have any form of skin conditions you should steer clear of any oils or lotions that are scented.

Anyways does Coconut oil taste all that different than say vegetable oil? Seems like I could give it a try if it has some benefits.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

There's no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil. You are being ripped off.
www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

There are no GMO coconuts in the Philippines. Not yet, anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
There's no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil. You are being ripped off.

www.google.com...

No I'm not, I was thinking of Olive oil. It's VIRGIN coconut oil. I'll change my post. Read my links and you'll see it's virgin.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Coconut oil is delightful to cook with. I could not argue with that.

I would feel remiss if I did not tell you what happened with me and 29 other people while working a medical mission in Jamaica a few years ago.

We stayed in an abandoned British army barrack and hired two native women to procure and prepare our meals for us.

We were fed well and the food was exceptionally tasty.

After a few days most all of us developed the screaming poops. Our medical team said it was due to eating so much coconut oil and that we would be OK almost immediately after the first onset of the "condition".

Coconut oil has a place in my kitchen right by the olive oil. I also enjoy using coconut milk in cooking also.

Just watch out when changing over to coconut oil completely. It could prove embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thank you for this thread, it just reminded me of info that a friend had sent me regarding this due to my thyroid condition. Another friend is currently receiving shots and taking harsh meds for a blood clot and this is something I'm going to be adding to my staples.

Also, ty Benevolent Heretic, I will be checking out your link as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The most reliable source of information I have found on cooking oils in general and coconut oil in particular is in the following book:

Fat chance : surviving the cholesterol controversy and beyond
By Dennis Willmont. Copyright 2005 Willmountain Press, paperback, 271 pages.

Since this is a self-published book you will have to either buy it from his website (that's what I did) or send a check to the mailing address:

Willmountain Press
496 Pine Street
Marshfield MA 02050
(781) 837-3455 ... the website is: www.willmountain.com

Mr. Willmont's background is unconventional but he proves he does know his science. His book has an extensive references section, and shows an awareness of related work in the nutrition field done by other authoritative and more well-known writers such as Udo Erasmus, Mary Enig, PhD, and others. And no, I have no business connection with Mr. Willmont.

For coconut oil, the most important words or phrases on the product label to be aware of are "cold pressed", "centrifuge extracted" and "organic." The first two terms certify that no damaging heat or solvents were ever applied to the coconut, and the term "organic" should be accompanied by the name of the organization which certified the organic status.

For any food grade oil, other descriptive terms such as "extra virgin" and "cold pressed" are insufficient to verify the actual product quality; unfortunately, these terms have marketing value only. As of now, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not require processors of food oils to reveal anywhere on the food label that regardless of "cold pressing" etc, that their subsequent oil processing does involve the application of damaging heat, solvents and what-all. Therefore the key word to look for on the label is the word "unrefined." Current law states that the word unrefined can only be used on food grade oil products if the product is truly unrefined.

Here are some examples of websites featuring "centrifuge extracted" coconut oil:

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

www.coconutoilonline.com

A current list of companies which sell unrefined vegetable oils includes Flora, Omega Nutrition, Spectrum, Barleans, Health from Sun, Eden, Living Harvest, and Coconut Oil Supreme. My apologies to newer companies selling unrefined vegetable oil that I have not listed, but keep in mind that new companies are being formed all the time.

Be also aware that rice bran oil is never organic and never unrefined ... apparently it is not commercially feasible to produce high-quality rice bran oil.

Willmont's above book also confirms in ghastly detail the role played by the U.S. soy industry starting in the 20th century to discredit coconut oil so that soy products could gain market share.

Olive oil: Last month, I went to a Whole Foods market and examined about 15 shelves of olive oil. After checking each item, I found 2 bottles which featured the magic word "unrefined." These were each small bottles in dark glass from small producers, both of which had organic certification. So check the labels carefully ...it's a dangerous world.

[edit on 4/25/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I used coconut oil for a long while, a few years back. As a massage oil, to eat, cook with, on my face, whatever....
Anyway, one day I ate a bit (I would let a teaspoonful melt in my mouth, if I wasn't planning to cook anything that day). It so happened that I was coming down with a violent flu that day. I puked immediately after, and all I could taste and smell was coconut oil and had the sensation of it melting in my mouth fresh in my mind. So NOW.....
I can't stand looking at it, eating it, smelling it, but even if it's the "de-odorized' type, I can't touch it...without gagging and nearly vomiting.
Guess that's just one health product I'll have to avoid from now on lol
I'm ok if I use it in baking as long as I try to distract myself mentally to some degree while I measure it out....
Taste/food aversion, I guess this is called....

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ummmmm double post?
Dunno how that happened. Sorry.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by phoebeflakes]

top topics

join