It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church blasts 9-yr-old rape victim, family for abortion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is why I'm starting to really hate religion. This story is so disturbing.

Doctors and Mother of 9-year-old Rape Victim Excommunicated in Brazil

A nine-year-old Brazilian girl recently conceived twins when she was raped by her stepfather. While abortion is illegal in Brazil, special dispensation can be given by judges if carrying the pregnancy to term would threaten the life of the mother. A judge gave permission to terminate the pregnancy because the girl weighs only 80 pounds and according to Fatima Maia, the director of the hospital where the abortion was performed, "Her uterus doesn't have the ability to hold one, let alone two children." The Catholic Church, however, doesn't see it that way. A lawyer for the local archdiocese told a Brazilian paper that the girl should have delivered the twins through a cesarean section. "It's the law of God: Do not kill. We consider this murder," Marcio Miranda told a Brazilian newspaper. The archdiocese went even further; Archbishop José Cardoso Sobrinho declared that the girl's mother, the doctors who performed the operation, and anyone else involved in the abortion was considered to be excommunicated. The statement has drawn fire from both politicians and the Archbishops fellow theologians. Archbishop Cardoso Sobrinho has responded by saying that the persons had excommunicated themselves through their actions: "I did not excommunicate anyone," he said. "Just remembered the church’s law which says they are automatically excommunicated." Unfortunately, Frances Kissling says, the case isn't that unusual in Latin America, although the controversy over it might be. She puts the recent case in a broader context, citing other cases and their resolutions. She notes also that "No mention was made of excommunicating the stepfather who had raped the nine-year-old child."

Link

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Although I don't agree with abortion, I think the family made the right choice here though.

The girl is nine years old and need her body putting through this. The people in that church should get a grip, if it was there child who was raped and got pregnant with twins would they make them go ahead with the births.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Although I do not agree with abortion (or religion), I believe that a raped woman should have the option.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If they had any decency they should have at least excommunicated the step father who raped the little girl for 3 years. These religious freaks have no sense, logic or reason and are living by outdated rules that are not moral at all. They need to get their priorities straight.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised?

This is outrageous, another reason why the church should have no say in governmental or penal affairs.

That little girl has gone through so much just from being raped, let alone having to bear the children of her rapist, it should be that families full right to abort such an atrocity.

I am pro choice when it comes to abortion, but for the church to condone birth from acts of violence, calling it murder is simply ridiculous.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Why am I not surprised?

This is outrageous, another reason why the church should have no say in governmental or penal affairs.

That little girl has gone through so much just from being raped, let alone having to bear the children of her rapist, it should be that families full right to abort such an atrocity.

I am pro choice when it comes to abortion, but for the church to condone birth from acts of violence, calling it murder is simply ridiculous.

~Keeper

Very well said.

Keep in mind, I am on the fence when it comes to abortion. I can see good points from prolifer's and prochoicer's.

Things like this only hurt the church. You notice they havent spoken out against the actual rape of this child?

Any sane person would have an issue with the step father for raping her, not the child for getting an abortion. especially consedirng, not having one would put her own life at risk?

if the church some how forced this child to have these children, and she died, do you think the church members that forced her, would excommunicate themselves for killing her? I bet they wouldnt.

Religion, such hypocracy and such an old, outdated way of thinking.

there they go again, trying to force there will onto others. That is a big part of the reason I left my church and set out to find my own personal beliefs.

For what its worth "tothetenthpower" If I was a mod, I woould applaud you for what you said. I am not though, so you will just have to settle for a star, and the satisfaction of knowing you have made a great contribution to ATS.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The church should go get fekked on this one

Its got nothing to with them

I mean the poor kid doesnt want to have a child herself, she was raped for crying out loud...she cant support a baby

Sheesh, when will these idiots wake up and have some common sense..

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thank you I appreciate the input.

I agree that the if the church had anything to say about this it should have been about condeming the actions of the father who perpatrated with horrible event.

It seems they would only like to preach love and acceptance when it suits them.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I agree. I think they should be focusing more on the "Do Not Rape" part than the whole "Do Not Kill Embryos" part.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Leave it to the Catholic Church to make you feel worse when you already hurt. I was baptized Catholic so I know this to be certain.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
once again the bs of religion rears it's ugly head- push your beliefs on other people and bully them.
and i agree that they should be hollering about the stepfather and not about the poor little girl who has suffered enough. oh but then again when priests rape little altar boys it gets swept under the rug. religion is bs and full of hypocrisy as far as i'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by draconian45
This is why I'm starting to really hate religion. This story is so disturbing.

.......The Catholic Church, however, doesn't see it that way. A lawyer for the local archdiocese told a Brazilian paper that the girl should have delivered the twins through a cesarean section. "It's the law of God: Do not kill. We consider this murder," he said.

The Catholic Church - what a pack of EVIL hypocrites - they have always been murders.....in fact MALACIDE was once official policy....(technically not HOMICIDE in killing people but rather killing off evil which is different of course). But don't let the hateful Churches make you hateful too

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
HYPOCRISY AT ITS FINEST!
Yet again, we see a story (and such a tragic one at that) where the moment the word abortion comes up, regardless of the context or the situation, it is still wrong..wrong...wrong...

To them the whole world is black and white, good and evil, with no shades of grey. I personally believe what makes us "human" is the fact we can use our God-given brain to decipher and evaulate these shades of grey in their relation to our own morality and codes of conduct.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

To them the whole world is black and white, good and evil, with no shades of grey. I personally believe what makes us "human" is the fact we can use our God-given brain to decipher and evaulate these shades of grey in their relation to our own morality and codes of conduct.

Sure, you can evaluate those shades of gray, just as the Nazis did to conclude that killing Jews was ok, because they REALLY weren't human.
It's that old slippery slope that will get you every time.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by draconian45

You are missing the point.

The reason this child is being made to have a child is because it generates money from the birth for the government.

Government can borrow on a newborns head.

Do not get caught up with the catholic religious nonsense the pope spews for your own good when it comes to this story. Where in a bible did it ever say, "I will command the pope to set the laws of my judgement"?

[edit on 9-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Well truly it is, because of we as a society decide to start witch hunting religious figures, then that would simply create a new anti-religion, which would not change a thing.

Executing anybody for their beliefs is quite stupid, and really it's not this Pope's fault that things have turned out the way they did, they are simply keeping the status quo that has been effect for hundreds of years.

I don't condone violence of any kind unless it in the most desperate of situation and is required for personal survivial.

Religion can be dangerous when people blindly throw their faith into it and take it literal fact. It's not something that should be outlawed because then you are outlawing the divine, of all kinds.

If you were to outlaw christianity you would need to do so with ALL religions regardless of what good or bad they have done.

I dont' know about you, but I like meditating in the park

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree, dont outlaw christianity, my message said, worship as you want freely, I mean, outlaw the corporation type religions who control how an election goes, decides a court case, OWNS A COUNTRY, stops diseases from being cured because stem cell research is agains god, there has to be a breaking point, its ludacris and this has to stop, ok ok, killing the pope might be a bit much, lol, i may have gotten a little heated, but point im trying to make is, ppl should be free to worship not have it forced upon them

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I disagree with some of what you said but agree on some points.

If you could lay eggs, would you lay your eggs in a predators basket?

Metaphorically speaking this is the case with some but not all.

Many seem to believe that christianity = catholicism.

Simply not the case at all.

Anyways im getting off topic. Shame for the girl and totally unforgivable that she be punished even more at such a young age.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
First of all, I am a Christian and am ardently pro life. However, the focus being on the little girl as the bad guy saddens me so greatly. Wholeheartedly, take a stand against sin but also, he that is without sin cast the first stone.

In another thread on this subject when asked why weren't they making as much of a fuss about the rapist as the little girl's abortion, someone said it was because 'what's done is done.'

But isn't the abortion also 'done?' Get off the little girl's neck and go after the rapist with all this pent up energy. I'm disgusted by the fact the little girl is being made out to be the target and the bad guy when the outrage should be place upon the rapist- not her.

Damn. My heart goes out to her. As much as I detest abortion, in the case of a 9 year old rape victim incapable of carrying twins, I can understand.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join