It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama 'too tired' to give proper welcome to Gordon Brown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

To use a variation of your name HeIsOnlyHuman.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Giving DVDs to Gordon Brown is a heck of a lot better than giving him 4 Chrome polished 24 inch rims with gold plating for Gordons G-Ride......LOL

[edit on 8-3-2009 by 38181]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
DVDs?!

What the hell... they're printing money at the other end, couldn't they have bought something more appropriate?

Come to think of it, there was also the whole Hilary Russian reset button gaffe as well.

Heads of state need to start giving symbolic, classy presents rather than tacky gimmicks.

Ceremonial sword exchanges only from now on plz...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Everyone is human and everyone is going through a hard time at the moment.

Visiting foreign members of state is his duty. Diplomacy is his duty. Everyone is tired and every country has its own problems....He knew what the demands of his job were before he went for it. If he cant cope - then he`ll have to find ways to do so. That`s it.

You dont become a leader of a nation and get all the money you do and then just pull out by saying Im too tired. I mean, if that ####....##>>#>#> (fill that with whatever adjectives you wish) previous American president could do it, for 8 years....dont see why this young, energetic lad cant.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The president above all is the FIGUREHEAD of the country. He's supposed to HIRE people can handle things for him. It's called Management 101. Yes, he makes the final decisions, but he should be educated enough in the issues that it shouldn't take that long for him to be able to understand the issues. He is totally inept at economics (he's admitted that he doesn't understand them, the inept comment is mine).

As far as people rushing him to make decisions, he should just tell them NO, I'm not making a decision until I feel ready. That's what he gets for hiring Rahm Emmanuel.

That's what WE get for hiring an inexperienced president.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Oh Bother...!

I do think that the DVD collection as a gift is a bit...naff, to use a British slang term...but, this is one of those situations where if Obama had in fact had a huge press conference and a big fancy, schmoozy dinner, the same people that are making a big deal of his lack of attention to Brown and such a cheap "gifting" would turn around and complain about an inappropriately large amount of attention, time, energy and funds in the whole rigmarole, when he should be focusing on the United States' crisis, at the moment.

Seems to me that every single action that Obama takes in any situation is bound to annoy someone in some conceivable way.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Do you hold yourself to the standards you hold him to or does any of you? Do you expect yourself to be a unfatigable superman? Most likely not. There is a word for that. Begins with an H.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatr137

Especially when they apparently want to be annoyed by him.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Sarahko

Do you hold yourself to the standards you hold him to or does any of you? Do you expect yourself to be a unfatigable superman? Most likely not. There is a word for that. Begins with an H.

So you're saying that one has to be a superman to be president? I don't think you have to be superman, I think you have to be a good executive - one that hires the right people to do most of the work for you so you can concentrate on other aspects of your job that ALSO need to be done.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Right on Barack! our politicans aren't even allowed to set foot on heathrow[at least some of them]
teach that brown some of its own..douchebag...

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Right on Barack! our politicans aren't even allowed to set foot on heathrow[at least some of them]
teach that brown some of its own..douchebag...

To what are you referring?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I ment Geert Wilders, who now has the biggest party in our parliament in the polls..He was refused entry into the UK because of his opinion about the Islam and Koran [movie fitna]..
Brown is already compared here with Chamberlain in the 30's..

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Delegated responsibility is all well and good but there is a great deal that calls only for the president and only the president can do. And just as your offended that he tired himself out speaking to others and thusly had to pass on speaking to this one you most likely would have been offended vice versa. Considering our futures depend on one man reversing the momentum gained by one man over the course of eight years of mismanagement.

Then there is the argument of "If you want something done right, do it yourself.".

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
at least the American administration is honest about it...i name Sarkozy, Jeltsin a handfull of Belgium or Japanese ministers who attend meetings completly drunk..[it is hilarious t.v i know]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Delegated responsibility is all well and good but there is a great deal that calls only for the president and only the president can do.

I agree and this was one of them (the actual meeting with Brown).. he didn't do it well though and his people didn't prepare him well either (the gift selection). They obviously didn't even care (as illustrated in the staffer's comments to the reporter). Employees only care about something if it's important to their boss.

And just as your offended that he tired himself out speaking to others and thusly had to pass on speaking to this one you most likely would have been offended vice versa.

Why didn't his staffers reschedule it? If it was important to them that the president make a good showing and they knew he was tired, then why didn't they reschedule? It wasn't important to him.

Considering our futures depend on one man reversing the momentum gained by one man over the course of eight years of mismanagement.

They also depend on one man maintaining momentum gained from the good things.

Then there is the argument of "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Or hire good people to do them.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think it was on purpose and nothing to do with
being too tired or anything else.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
Personally I'm glad. He's the president, not an entertainer and not a host. He's the leader of a nation and if he's too busy taking care of the country he leads to display 'proper etiquette' to a visiting head of state, that person should be completely nonplussed and understanding. As should the rest of the world. All that formality is garbage and an even bigger waste of money than is already occurring. I say let him do his job.

If Gordon Brown wants something nice, he can wait until Christmas.

Obama is like a train wreck, you just can't help watching.....lol

He IS certainly entertaining.

About the Christmas thing: There may not be a Christmas in the White House for the next 4 years if he is Muslim.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by MagicaRose]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
I posted the DVD list in another thread. What a joke. As I said there, isn't Brown legally blind? The guy probably couldn't even be able to enjoy the DVDs if he wanted to get his movie on.

Stay classy, Obama!

That would be david plunkett, how about doing a spot of research before making claims

Stay retarded, America!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Im utterly embarrassed that they gave DVD's as a gift. I'm surprised he didnt give them a 12 pack of beer, or maybe a weed wacker, it's just as redneck a gift!

I hope they included a copy of Alex Jones' newest video "The Obama Deception". Brown would love that, wouldn't he?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I initially thought, "Yeah! That'll show 'em!" But then I sat back and said, "D'oh!"

Think about it. The UK is our closest and most reliable ally. Obama wants to up the troop numbers in Afghanistan in order to defeat the insurgence. Since Obama is big into interacting with other countries--not doing things unilaterally. This leads me to think that he will go to the UK in the near future and ask them to up the troop numbers in Afghanistan. A mess up like this could very well make the British say, "eh....nah. Oh! Here's a good DVD I saw this weekend!"

It's good that Obama is trying to focus on America, but as other posts have eluded to, the president often has to juggle multiple things at once. Could you imagine what would've happened if Regan had said to the Russians, "now just stop it with those missles guys! Wait a week or two, I'm fightin' inflation here!" A case could be made that his meeting with PM Brown was a domestic meeting as well, since both Obama and Brown advocate solving this economic crisis in a global fashion. They both had said that their meetings were about how the two nations could come together and solve the crisis together. I remember hearing about his meeting a month ago. So, as others had said, they really could've put something "nicer" together.

If the Obama administration is tired now, Lord help us! What's gonna happen if Israel and Iran go at it? What if Russia goes into the Ukraine? He'll be really tired then.

Someone mentioned Bush taking three years worth of vacation--you do realize that the president never really gets vacay time like your or I do right? Presidents have working vacations. They never can stop dealing with the needs of the free world.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join