It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy my first gun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ive recently moved into a rather rough neighborhood and I'm looking for some sort of home protection. I live in NC and Im 20 years old and wont be 21 till june so a handgun while ideal is impossible till then. I'd like to stay under the 250 dollar range if possible. Also I like to take my dog walking at night and sometimes Ive been confronted by people in the neighborhood, nothing dangerous just makes me uneasy and I was wondering what options I would have for defense other than a 6" hunting knife I carry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also suggestions on where to get this gun is great too. Online? Gun Show? Shop?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Go to a gun store... at your price point you only have a couple of choices.... A very cheap single barrel / single shot shotgun, A Ruger 10/22 (.22 semi auto rifle, or a highpoint carbine.

johntaylorenterprises.com...

highpoint
img521.imageshack.us...

Ruger 10/22
www.engstromauctions.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthandgoal66

Forget the shotgun and 10/22 too large to carry w/ the dog. Save up till June and go with a Springfield XD or Glock.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

thanks for the suggestions.
The highpoint looks like a definite possibility. Its cheap and has very good reviews and i like the short body. And best of all its made in USA!

Im not looking to carry a gun with me on the walks for sure, prob not even in june when i can apply for the handgun permit.
NC law requires a permit and then another for concealed weapon that includes a safety course i believe.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Don't waste your money on highpoint junk. You might as well just carry a brick with you. Go to your local walmart if they sell guns in your area and pick up a mossberg maverick 88 12 gauge shotgun, and a box of 00 buckshot rounds. That is the perfect home defense set up. A maverick typically retails for around $180.00 so you will have some extra cash to get a pistol grip for it as well as a shorter barrel.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Best firearm for home defense is a 12g tactical shotgun. You can find a used shotgun at your price range and either modify it yourself or gradually mod it over time? I'd suggest a Remington 870 12g. Best tactical set up would be an 18" barrel [buy one or hack saw it], pistol type grip [buy one or hack saw it], sling that holds shells, extended receiver tube [hold extra rounds in gun], and mounted flashlight. This weapon is easy to shoot and conceal. Much more effective than a handgun, especially for a novice, and can be purchased easily.

This is my first choice every time, although my Glock .45 is a close second, the .45 costs $800. Good luck and don't shoot yourself!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Seriously, SpaDe said it best...stay way from hi-point, they are pure junk. If they can make a pistol for $150 why can't smith and wesson, colt, or other gun manufacturers who have been around MUCH longer than hi point make a pistol in the same price range? Because the reputable gun makers don't make junk! if they did, they could probably make a pistol in the "less than $200 price range". Also, you have to identify your needs...if you want home protection, nothing more nothing less, NOTHING beats a shotgun, period! If you want something to carry, a smith and wesson airlight 38 revolver is a great buy and ultra reliable. For automatics I would say Springfield, Glock, H&K, SigSauer, Kimber, or Colt. Any good (new) pistol will cost you at least $500...but I must say it again, for home defense, HANDS DOWN, nothing beats a shotgun.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Look in to a Saiga 410/20ga/12g semi auto shotguns. The hold 10 or 15 round clips and can be pretty devastating.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

The first thing you must do is learn the laws in NC concerning firearms and self defense. I live here in NC and I can tell ya that the self defense laws are a bit quirky.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying V

Yea i hear you on that. One of my coworkers had to take about 2 years to clear his name in courts because he killed an intruder in his house, but in the end it all worked out in his favor as trying as it was.

Thanks for the input on this guys. Ive been a long time reader of this site and these are my first postings and yall seem to really know your stuff. the shotgun is looks like it is my most logical choice.

Now another question for you. Still keeping a small budget in mind (im a college student and working full time also and living in a small 3bd house with limited space) what are my storage options or safety concerns?
Should i keep it on just a safety lock?
None at all? maybe next to bed?
prob not a case due to size and money concerns
Id love to hear yalls ideas

Another thing. I work in a wood shop so maybe fashioning some sort of rack could be an option.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As has been said, nothing beats a shotgun for defense. If you live in an apartment, you have to use smaller shot to prevent shooting through the walls and killing your neighbor. Buckshot is NOT the thing to use; #4 will work just fine for defense and will not go through an interior wall.
The most reliable shotguns are pump-action. Semi-autos are sometimes fussy and can jam. The posters already told you Remington or Mossberg/Maverick and that is good advice. The shorter barrels are handier in close quarters. If you are small statured or unaccustomed to sharp recoil, a pistol grip on a 12 might be too much. Also consider a short barreled 20 gauge with a regular stock. The attacker won't notice whether he has been shredded by a 20 or more shredded by a 12.
You will probably not need a big magazine for an extended fire fight in your apartment or house. The ranges are so close that it will be over with a shot or two. Always retreat, never advance. Never warn verbally that you "have a gun" or someone may take it away from you and use it on you. Just retreat and call the police on a cell phone, if you have one, in case they cut phone lines to disrupt alarm systems. If anyone is stealing and they leave, let them go. If they come for you to stop you and hurt you, shoot. Aim for their middle and shoot until they go down and are no longer a threat. Don't shoot them again if they are wounded and on the floor unless they have a weapon. This will all be important at the inquest. If you shoot them before you can call the police, don't expect to be able to carry on much of a conversation after firing a gun in a closed room.
When you are not at home, do not leave the shotgun loaded or you could be facing your own weapon. Find a safe place for the shells [not in the microwave or freezer] and put the gun somewhere else. Thieves often look in the bedroom for valuables and weapons and in the freezer or toilet tank for drugs. They watch movies, too.
To eliminate some aggravation, post a dog sign and let him bark occasionally, so the casual thieves go elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

More like your an agent looking for people to keep adding to that red list who have knowlege of guns or own them PERIOD.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Thats alot thats a lot of great advice and i really appreciate it. I've had a descent amount experience around guns but its been mainly relatives or friends and have never owned my own. Ive just never taken the time to learn about them and know the pros and cons and yall have nailed it. thanks

Idk CHAOS does that pay better than being a nurse?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If you are planning to carry for protection while walking your dog I would highly suggest a CZ-82. Of course you would need to wait until your birthday.

$159.99
Incredible price for the quality of firearrm.

www.centerfiresystems.com...

You are looking at a $400.00 + weapon in workmanship and reliability.

These babies hold 13 rounds of 9mm MAKAROV (9mm x 18mm)

which is more powerful than .380ACP

The ammo is reasonable in price, but not as common as 9mm X 19mm

That would be the only drawback.

This is the best pistol value in the country, in your price range.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Taxi-Driver]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well i got my gun. I went with the mossberg 535. I went to the store to get the 500 and the lady had one in the back that she didnt know about and it was still under my 250 budget. ive already shot a box of shells through it and i love it. thanks for the help guys

new topics

top topics

join