It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says US May Reach Out to Taliban

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by realboogyman
Wasn't Pres. bush saying "We will Not negotiate with terrorist" Now that is exactly what Obama wants to do. Show's weakness. Which amaerica has became weak over the past few years and maybe it was because we didn't negotiate so i see this 2 ways. Show our weakness and "give in" or keep fighting a war that noone can win. A war against terrorism? Wow thats alot, considering what is now a terrorist act is toothpaste on a airplane.

actually i think "..we dont negoitate with terrorists.." dates back to reagan

[edit on 10-3-2009 by neo67]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo67

Wasn't Pres. bush saying "We will Not negotiate with terrorist" Now that is exactly what Obama wants to do. Show's weakness. Which amaerica has became weak over the past few years and maybe it was because we didn't negotiate so i see this 2 ways. Show our weakness and "give in" or keep fighting a war that noone can win. A war against terrorism? Wow thats alot, considering what is now a terrorist act is toothpaste on a airplane.

actually i think "..we dont negoiate with terrorists.." dates back to reagan

The Taliban didn't do anything to the US, the Americans killed 1.3 million , who is the terrorist ?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

I would like to hear from commanders in Afghanistan and especially from Gen David Patreas and Sec. Gates about the wisdom of such a proposal. I think they know a hell of a lot more than the President on this issue and it would be informative to hear what they have to say.

Maybe reading the article of the OP would have been helpful:

The idea of cooperation with some in the Taliban has been talked about for many months by American military commanders including Gen. David Petraeus, head of U.S. Central Command. But it would be a sharp departure from the approach of the Bush administration in regard to the Taliban.

"If you talk to Gen. Petraeus, I think he would argue that part of the success in Iraq involved reaching out to people that we would consider to be Islamic fundamentalists, but who were willing to work with us," said Obama.

news.aol.com...

In concert with and in support of our Afghan partners, we need to identify and separate the “irreconcilables” from the “reconcilables, striving to create the conditions that can make the reconcilables part of the solution, even as we kill, capture, or drive out the irreconcilables. In fact, programs already exist in this area and careful application of them will be essential in the effort to fracture and break off elements of the insurgency in order to get various groups to put down their weapons and support the legitimate constitution of Afghanistan.

washingtonindependent.com...

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by branty

The Taliban didn't do anything to the US, the Americans killed 1.3 million , who is the terrorist ?

dude get a grip all i was saying is reagan first coined the phrase.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neo67

My bad m8, I used both quotes to get the effect it didnt matter who said the quote, no malice towards you

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

So you are for us negotiating with them and possibly walking away?

Edit for correcting mixing all theses quotes into one big mess

[edit on 10-3-2009 by jd140]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

reply to post by neo67

My bad m8, I used both quotes to get the effect it didnt matter who said the quote, no malice towards you

np :p

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The problem with 'reaching out' to thugs is that they don't always play by the rules. These 'outlaws' are capable of hurting others without remorse. And the fact that Gitmo is (going to be?) closed by Obama sends out a message to all these thugs is that America will tolerate bad behavior, which (in a 'normal' society) is not supposed to include killing each other. Tisk! Tisk!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by IAF101

I would like to hear from commanders in Afghanistan and especially from Gen David Patreas and Sec. Gates about the wisdom of such a proposal. I think they know a hell of a lot more than the President on this issue and it would be informative to hear what they have to say.

Maybe reading the article of the OP would have been helpful:

The idea of cooperation with some in the Taliban has been talked about for many months by American military commanders including Gen. David Petraeus, head of U.S. Central Command. But it would be a sharp departure from the approach of the Bush administration in regard to the Taliban.

"If you talk to Gen. Petraeus, I think he would argue that part of the success in Iraq involved reaching out to people that we would consider to be Islamic fundamentalists, but who were willing to work with us," said Obama.

news.aol.com...

I did, the problem is that there is no direct response from Patreas but rather the Presidents word of what he thinks. I think its better to hear from the man himself. Not to forget Robert Gates too.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

washingtonindependent.com...
www.reuters.com...

Last month, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said that Washington could accept a political agreement between the Afghan government and the Taliban if the insurgents will lay down their arms and accept the government's terms.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Reagan was before my time. I am just stateing what I heard Bush say at some point in time. Thanks for correcting me either way.
And either way if the taliban are terrorist we dont negotiate. And the guys in the whitehouse apparently can't negotiate. So either way you want to read it there will be no negotiation between The U.S and the taliban or with the U.S within itself

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Obama has been making touchy-feely gestures to the Muslim world since he took office. Little things he knew they'd pick up on like his inaugural speech saying something like "We are a nation of Christians, Muslims, as well as Jews, Hindus ..." This is the first time a President didn't do the list as "... Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc" His first visit to the Middle East was Turkey, and other indicators pointed out already.

Now we don't really know how Obama thinks. He's a virtual nobody, an unknown quantity. A politician from the most corrupt place on the map and no real track record.

Is he trying to appease the Muslim world, maybe because the country desperately need to hit them to but billions more in probably worthless T Bills?

Is he trying to bring down the level of tension with a few chosen words, giving them a more receptive signal, hoping to soften them up for the the final kill?

Could he just be smooth-talking, but in the end pushing the same overall foreign policy - keeping the Middle East in disarray with tribal infighting that keeps them from ever going anywhere?

I'll pick the latter as probable? The US likes to send Middle East countries mixed signals. They are blood brothers with the Saudis. They give billions in foreign aid to Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan. Their controversial support of Israel benefits the US in ways little understood. The Iranians throw so much weapons and money into their proxies in Lebanon and Gaza just to keep Israel on it's toes. The Saudis then pour billions more in countering Iran's Shiite clerics by trying to maintain their Sunni dominance in the region.

Muslim leaders fall for it every time and are at each others throats racing than taking a unified stand on anything.

They think they have Obama on their side. They think he's one of their boys.

They could be right.

We'll see.

Mike F

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join