It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says US May Reach Out to Taliban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Link : news.aol.com...

WASHINGTON (March 7) - President Barack Obama says he hopes U.S. troops can identify moderate elements of the Taliban and move them toward reconciliation. Asked in an interview with The New York Times.

New To Ats posting , Enjoy this and the link above , I would love to hear what some of you guys feel about this... -- Bayfin

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think this is showing Obama's weakness. We are, by his own words, losing in Afghanistan to the Taliban. so he wants to reach out to them. Heh. What incentive does he provide? Leave them alone so they can ensure sharia law is forced upon the more liberal peoples of Afghanistan and close schools that dare to teach girls and give them education? I know Obama wants to be a feel good president, but the Taliban doesn't care if he feels good or not. But on the other hand, since I believe Osama bin Laden is now ghost, I think we should just let Afghanistan deal with their own problems. Afghans are proud to proclaim that they have never been conquered by invaders, let them deal with these Talibani's (students) who invaded them from Pakistan. Of course, I am an isolationist, so my opinion might be skewed when it comes to other countries problems.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I expected this, since in office Obama has Closed Gitmo, thus releasing terrorist to go about they're business of killing us infidels. Pledged 900 million to rebuild Gaza which is inhabited by Muslims and terrorist! Now he wants to reach out to the group responsible to several acts of terror including 911! It would not surprise me one bit if he was to invite Osama bin Laden to the white house!

Face it our president has to much sympathy for the enemy!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
Now he wants to reach out to the group responsible to several acts of terror including 911! It would not surprise me one bit if he was to invite Osama bin Laden to the white house!

No offence dude, but there's no proof that the taliban were responsible for 9/11. I think i remember some guy called Osama Bin Laden who took most of the blame, but ultimately i think he didn't do it and the real criminals live in the USA, hiding behind a mask of lies.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
we need to be friendly with the guys who make the heroin. the cia (or contraband importing agency) need to be on their good side when we go there for our pick up.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You say US? I say YOU.

Increased troop plans then talk? Isn't it suppose to go the other way around?

The reason I hate politics is because the only ones that know the truth are the ones who are lying.

If god forgives everyone, then he will leave the ones who want to exist on earth to die.

Worth a shot though. But if Obama can not convince them to have some friendship, then we sure as hell better wipe them off this earth.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Obama is going to reach out to the taliban?
Seems to me that the Taliban is giving Obama the reach around.
I dont want to become buddies with these fools, I want them all dead.
Obama just doesnt have the brass for this job.
he should go back to organizing the communities.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Obama is going to reach out to the taliban?
Seems to me that the Taliban is giving Obama the reach around.
I dont want to become buddies with these fools, I want them all dead.
Obama just doesnt have the brass for this job.
he should go back to organizing the communities.

It's this kind of rhetoric that got us into this mess in the first place. Why would you want them dead? Cause your government told you they are bad people? That they perpetrated terrorist attacks?

Hmm funny, I would think people here not to believe everything they are told.

Obama is simply doing his job, trying to promote peace through Diplomacy instead of war mongering. Bush had his way for 8 years, his answer was to bully every nation into the world into following him.

His famous "You're with Us, Or You Are Against Us" speech said it all.

Furthermore I think everybody will agree that TALKING is much better than taking lives when it comes to anything, no matter the past things that have happened.

I don't see any viable proof that the Taliban did anything wrong on US soil at any time. Now they have been in conflict with us and yes they have killed our men in the line of duty, yet we do the same.

To them, we are the terrorists, have you ever tought about that?

Obama is trying to prevent further conflict in the Middle East by testing the waters and seeing if these people are actually capable of intelligent, foreign policy talks so they may compromise on a solution that would end this senseless violence.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Obama is trying to prevent further conflict in the Middle East by testing the waters and seeing if these people are actually capable of intelligent, foreign policy talks so they may compromise on a solution that would end this senseless violence.

~Keeper

What would you suggest the nation / Obama to do , if in case that these talks do fail?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
some people cannot be reasoned with the sooner democrats recognize this the better off we all will be.

this is a sign of weakness altho as an american you might not agree with this people from other countries would.

preinvasion the taliban we given every chance to avoid war they didnt.

the reason we are even in afghanistan is because the taliban gave a safe haven to usama bin laden.

karzai has reached out the the taliban time and time agian but it was just blowing in the wind. the taliban will kiss this off they did before.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
More like he is trying to get the "world" on his side,

its not coincidence lately of all these "peace" talks and "mending ties" with people/places we have pissed on, this is to unite the world into his One Wolrd Order... The NWO pieces are being put together under all the sheeples nose

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Darth_Prime]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think it is a damn good idea, as a 58 year old veteran of Vietnam, in my view they can have their damn country as long as they leave us alone, history says they will get it in the end, you cannot kill enough of them to stop it. The added plus is that they would stop the poppy growing. When they ruled, it could get you the death sentence. This is a repeat of history and from many of these post, many of you are just too young to have the wisdom of historical perspective. That makes you dangerous in my view.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
..."moderate elements of the Taliban" - say WHAT??? MODERATE ELEMENTS!? The Taliban is driven by religious fanaticism! What part of that would you say is moderate and why has no one ever discussed the Taliban's "moderate" element before? Maybe because the Taliban doesn't have a moderate element???

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This could be the most naive mistake or the most brilliant step in this whole war on terrorism. On one hand, the Obama administration risks legitimizing these mindless medieval zealots and on the other hand if they are able to somehow able to split them apart and put one side against the other to their mutual destruction, it would be quite brilliant.

I would like to hear from commanders in Afghanistan and especially from Gen David Patreas and Sec. Gates about the wisdom of such a proposal. I think they know a hell of a lot more than the President on this issue and it would be informative to hear what they have to say.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by guinnessford
we need to be friendly with the guys who make the heroin. the cia (or contraband importing agency) need to be on their good side when we go there for our pick up.

So True..

Dont bite the hand that feeds you

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
President Bush had a moment like this. Should he trust the intelligence given to him and go to war with Iraq or not. He chose the intelligence and now that is viewed as one of the major blunders in a good long while.

This is President Obamas moment. Does he trust the Taliban if a truce is reached or does he lasso them into a managable entity? If he does reach a truce then it could potentialy be disastorous for us. If he is right then he will be viewed as a great uniter and the "messiah" some think he is.

On the other hand if he does reach out and they deny him the country will be split even more then it is today. Those who thinks he is weak for doing it in the first place and those who praise him for atleast extending a hand in friendship.

My personnel opinion is that he id doing it to please his fellow Democrates. They are none to happy with him keeping 50,000 troops in Iraq and sending more to Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wasn't Pres. bush saying "We will Not negotiate with terrorist" Now that is exactly what Obama wants to do. Show's weakness. Which amaerica has became weak over the past few years and maybe it was because we didn't negotiate so i see this 2 ways. Show our weakness and "give in" or keep fighting a war that noone can win. A war against terrorism? Wow thats alot, considering what is now a terrorist act is toothpaste on a airplane.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Prepared to discuss different models of government, apart from simply re-establishing their no-TV or education for women regime they had before the coalition occupation.

On the part of the coalition, prepared to acknowledge legitimate grievances, and to co-operate in addressing some of them, in a localized way at least to begin with.

Obama is absolutely right on this, mainly because Gen. Petreus & advisors know the history of the country, and know exactly what they're talking about.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by undermind

Prepared to discuss different models of government, apart from simply re-establishing their no-TV or education for women regime they had before the coalition occupation.

On the part of the coalition, prepared to acknowledge legitimate grievances, and to co-operate in addressing some of them, in a localized way at least to begin with.

Obama is absolutely right on this, mainly because Gen. Petreus & advisors know the history of the country, and know exactly what they're talking about.

The meeting between President Obama and Gen. Petreus probably went something like this.

Obama- How do we win over there with little or no lives lost General.

Petreus- Ask for a truce Mr. President.

Obama- Sounds good, that should make my party happy.

I'm just kidding, but it could have happened like that, who knows except the fly on the wall.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by undermind

The meeting between President Obama and Gen. Petreus probably went something like this.

Obama- How do we win over there with little or no lives lost General.

Petreus- Ask for a truce Mr. President.

Obama- Sounds good, that should make my party happy.

I'm just kidding, but it could have happened like that, who knows except the fly on the wall.

How about:

Petreus: Mr President, the Taliban have installed a phone line to their headquarters in the mountains of Pakistan.

Obama: Great! [pats his pockets] [presses intercom button] GET MY DAMN BLACKBERRY IN HERE PRONTO!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join