It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bread Lines Seen in California

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Where do you live ?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux
Yea... I understand this is a conspiracy forum, but do you have any proof that the government is withholding the "real" unemployment numbers and they're feeding us fake ones?

Oh yes, and truth be told the largest majority of people who apply for unemployment do not get it, all it takes is for an employer to disagree and no matter what the person does not get it. And the bottom line is that they are not counted on the unemployment roles. Many people have been forced to work for companies and businesses that make them file responsibility for their own taxes, and when fired are not eligible for unemployment. And then the paople who work under the table, many people do if you were not aware, and they do not get unemployment either.

Believe what I say because it is so so true.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by antar]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by prjct

Well factor in that there is still lots to come and the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, then you can start to see the bigger picture.

Well factor in that your assumptions are just that.. assumptions.

I'm already seeing the economy get better around where I live...

Oh well... some just want rainy days...

It is not getting better it is in a false deflationary period. A few products seem to be cheaper, but the other products are rising expotentially. Have you bought good mayonaise lately? How about Parmagiano cheese? A decent loaf of bread ( but that is a conspiracy unto itsself) (good bread) Sure you gas is less in the moment, but have you had to buy tires or get repairs?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In the 1930's there was no Food Stamp Program, so for people to be on bread lines when food stamps are available - well, it IS saying something.

Speaking of foodstamps,

A record 31.8 million Americans received food stamps at the latest count, an increase of 700,000 people in one month with the United States in recession, government figures showed on Thursday.

Full Story

Since there are only *supposed* to be 1 food stamp case PER HOUSEHOLD, and we have about 300 Million people in the US, I would say that this is WELL OVER 10% of the population.

That's saying something!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Every one has a different definition of "bad situation" getting worse , Hunka may be living in a college dorm, and its another guys turn to buy the keg this week, Hence; his economic situation got better

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Im not sure how the US does it , but in Canada if your unemployment runs out , after a yr, your off the count,so it wont show on unemployment charts, also your SoL, its Welfare then

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

We do have somewhat of a better system in Canada with our Black List when it comes to unemployment.

Companies that have had multiple labor board complaints and bad dealings with the unemployment agency are placed on a list so that no matter what happens if you work there, get fired for any reason, or quite, they automatically give you the benefit of the doubt and provide you with your unemployment.

The most recent to added...Wal Mart

And for Antar, I agree it is not demeaning or shamefull to request help when it is truly needed. When our first daughter was born me and my partner had a very hard time providing and found ourselves at the mercy of food banks and government assistance programs. If it was not for those we would have lost our child and never could have had the beautiful family of 5 we have today.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Unfortunaltely there is that EXACT thing happening. LARGE groups of people/ gangs if you will, are taking food, meat , beer and baby formula and selling it at fleamarkets. I am witness and I may be biased on the law of not stealing, but it IS happening. It is called food stamp fraud. They take the food stamps at a discounted rateand allow people to buy things not allowed under the food stamp regulations as well as things at a discounted rate that are.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I live in San Diego. I can tell you this news is not new. There has always been flux in the Salvation Army's donated bread clientel. I'm not trying to knock the OP. I'm just trying to give some perspective.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
speaking of the deflationary period we are in....

they lump food with cars and everything else including oil, that has gone down.

BUT - prices of food in MANY cases has actually increased 100% - getting half of what was bought at the same price.

Everything from toliet tissue - rice - cereal, all have decreased almost 50% in quanity since Oct. 08 - but SAME price...

That should say something.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

When the food stamps are no longer accepted, or distributed, when/if the state and federal government is forced to pull back on 'assistance' programs as a result of a continued decline in revenue sourced from steep decline in taxpayers, when the middle class falls, when the rich STOP spending... When we actually hit the bottom you will know what I was talking about.

Sad thing is, this could have been avoided. Possibly still can. But that will require true leadership in Washington. Something that is woefully lacking at this time.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Also the governments down play of the unemployment is very sickening.

It's worse than sickening, it's criminal. Any comments on their part that is contrary to the facts is a blatant form of deception, a fraudulent lie, criminal, and they should all be prosecuted. Any politician that has said that there is nothing wrong with the economy during these last so-many years should be investigated and strung up for their deception and fraudulent statements. Any politician that has not been honest with us should be waterboarded until they confess the truth. We need a constitutional amendment that prohibits politicians from lying!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux
Yea... I understand this is a conspiracy forum, but do you have any proof that the government is withholding the "real" unemployment numbers and they're feeding us fake ones?

Here you go .. Directly from the Department of Labor website ...

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the Government uses the number of persons filing claims for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under State or Federal Government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Not all of the wide range of job situations in the American economy fit neatly into a given category. For example, people are considered employed if they did any work at all for pay or profit during the survey week. This includes all part-time and temporary work, as well as regular full-time, year-round employment.

Feel free to read up a bit more on how unemployment is calculated .. Here's the link.

Department of Labor

As far as food banks go ... I think that the reflection that a wider variety of people going there reflects that things are getting worse. That doesn't mean that things are going to continue to get worse, etc. That is an assumption and could be incorrect, however the way things are looking, I would say that assumption is correct.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yes this is no suprise,we always get transiates from the south,midwest,think about it if your living off the land where will you find better weather,who knows where these people originated from

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
My upstairs neighbor works at a food bank, and she has been saying the demand has increased over the last year. We live in a region that has never been wealthy, so there always has been some demand for food and shelter.

The are food banks and there are food stamps available everywhere, so I'm skeptical about how many people are really hungry in the U.S. There are, of course, some people who are not organized enough to apply to social services and go through all the red tape required to apply for food stamps--the mentally ill or challenged, those who live too far back in the mountains to have transportation, those who just don't know where to go, the homeless mentally ill, etc. These people need help in applying for assistance, but it's there for most people, and theoretically for all who are hungry.

Plus, the homeless shelter in our town also provides meals. We COULD use a few more shelters, as our one is always full and has to turn people away. It's always nice when people donate hams or turkeys to the shelter--especially on holidays--their gifts do make for better eating than the standard fare.

I think Hunka-Hunka is saying our economy is not going to go down the tubes as fast as some are predicting, and that the stimulus and other measures may prove to be effective. I hope he's right.

Meanwhile, our food banks stay busy, and so does the Salvation Army, so there is a need for such relief. But I'm not so sure that hunger is as big a problem in the U.S. as some think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join