It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
metropolitan police believes violence could spread across the Irish sea.

Lets hope not for everyone's sake.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
St.Patrick's Day next week.

Security is to be increased across major cities in order to prevent any shootings or possible bombings.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Bomb found in Belfast.

Suspect package sparks city alert

A security alert is underway in the centre of Belfast after a suspicious package was discovered.

It was found at the PPS premises in Chichester Street and the area around Little Chichester Street has been corodonned off.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC Northern Ireland

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Bomb found in Belfast.

Suspect package sparks city alert

A security alert is underway in the centre of Belfast after a suspicious package was discovered.

It was found at the PPS premises in Chichester Street and the area around Little Chichester Street has been corodonned off.

BBC Northern Ireland

Ugh! This is horrible.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Let us hope this does not continue.

Last thing we need is a campaign, even though it is looking likely, because UDA and UVF may retaliate

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Another street closed off...

Houses have been evacuated on a street in Londonderry following the discovery of a suspicious object.

Residents on Bann Drive have been told to leave their homes and part of Irish Street between Finn Gardens and Chapel Road has been closed.

BBC NI

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

oh #

thats a school

Lisneal College.

opposite bann dive/finn gardens and on irish street.

theres feckers attacking children AGAIN.

and people here support them.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The one question thats been bouncing around my mind since hearing the news is: "why now?"

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
18 year old man has been arrested for the shooting of the police officer. Pretty darn quick; one has to ask - is he a fall guy?

Martyr for the cause?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thanks for keeping us up to date infinite.

This has the makings of a campaign.

I expect to see more attempted bombings and shootings, with a big event at the end and then low level intensity building up to another campaign around conference/marching season.

My opinion is that there will be something happen on St Patricks day - either in NI or on the british mainland.

That will be the big event, which will be designed to bring opposition groups into the "fray"

This is truly tragic - I can only hope that those responsible are caught quickly.

Hopefully we will no longer see the wall of silence - but I doubt it.

People will be just too scared.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by budski]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just as a little update:

The Northern Ireland Secretary, Shaun Woodward, has ruled out sending troops back into the streets.

Shaun Woodward, the Northern Ireland secretary, today ruled out a return to troops on the streets of the province as dissident republicans intensified their terror campaign last night by shooting dead a policeman.

The minister echoed Gordon Brown, the prime minister, who condemned the "murderers" but insisted: "There will be no return to the old days."

A police officer was shot in the head before 10pm in the Lismore area of Craigavon in north Armagh, 26 miles south-west of Belfast.

Woodward said the Northern Irish public had made it clear that they did not want a return to the past, where streets were patrolled by armed soldiers.

The Guardian

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

It seems the Continuity IRA is nothing like the Real IRA - after all, no one has been arrested from Saturday's attack.

Here's a theory: Could the Continuity IRA be used as a decoy? Allowing its members to be arrested and thus distracting the police from the main, radical and experts in the Real IRA.

Let's hope the next few days calms down, hopefully no more attacks.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

As in martyrdom (of a sort)?

It's possible - this would have the added effect of causing resentment amongst the catholic community, if anything like internment occurs again.

RIRA are definitely the ones with the expertise, and IMO they have been building up to this for a long time, caching weapons and explosives and going through planning.

CIRA may not have the same access to materials after the split with PIRA in '86 because PIRA controlled them.

It seems that CIRA are ex PIRA council members, and are not hardline, frontline terrs - although a recruitment drive could have reaped new members.

The drawback is that PIRA will knwo who the top people are, and will have intel on their movements and whereabouts, even now.

PIRA has maintained intel resources and weapons caches since supposedly disarming, but it is thought that CIRA do not have access or know the whereabouts of the weapons.

RIRA on the other hand are hardened terrs, with a lot of experience in frontline operations, money and weapons contacts and the expertise to use them.

Apparently, they have come a long way since the failed Birmingham bombing in the late 90's (maybe later? the date is a bit muddled in my head) when a device failed to detonate in clubland in Birmigham city centre.

IMO this is RIRA, and they are mounting a sustained campaign aimed at destroying the peace.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
A significant portion of the IRA army council has sympathetic views towards the Real IRA, mainly due Bobby Sand's sister being the third highest ranking officer in the Real IRA.

Continuity IRA may appeal and recruit younger members, the Real IRA have the experts and the most sophisticated arsenal. Plus, the Real IRA can produce advance and more deadly explosives - Continuity IRA can only create pipe bombs and low level devices.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
from what i understand theres less than 50 in the CIRA anyway , and those are the ones that agreed with tom mcquire (i think) when they spilt.

either way - both groups are asshats for wanting to kill children - they are the ones that don`t want peace - and upset the status quo

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I know, it's very hard to figure, someone mentioned St. Patrick's day coming up, possible "extravagaza" like Canary Warf. Definately trying to provoke a loyalist response and therefore a certain reinforcement of British military. Also, with the NI assembly finally beginning to look something like a normal parliament, perhaps they thought it was now or never. And while I am very certain they enjoy almost no support right now, with jobless numbers growing almost exponentially in Ireland I fear they may soon have a very fertile recruiting ground of dissafected and angry people. I say this from the bottom of my heart, Ireland North or South does not need this!!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think this story quite adequately sums up the difference between the soldiers at Massereene Barracks and those who murdered them:

Soldier saved life of pizza boy by shielding him from hail of bullets

The police and MI5 will be working overtime now, especially with St. Patrick's Day approaching. I agree that it's a plausible possibility that an attack might be carried out then.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I mentioned something similar in an earlier post on this thread. I've also seen on other boards over the last 24 hours, many Americans making similar justifications without being aware of any irony or hypocrisy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those Americans backing this attrocity should hang their heads in shame. When they were attacked by terrorists on 9/11 remember how pleased and grateful they were when the UK said they would stand shoulder to shoulder with them against terrorism, yet now, suddenly terrorism is okay just as long as it's aimed towards the British.
I usually stick up for America but their attitude towards irish terrorists is really getting on my nerves and is dispicable. As far as I'm aware, I don't remember Ireland offering the Yanks military help in their war against terror!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I thought all this IRA foolishness was over with? Seems like there are some people whose only aim in life is to cause chaos.

An unfortunate attack, but at least (and I don't condone it in any way) it was on a military installation, rather than a civilian one.

An unlucky pizza deliveryman though, some of those guys have real war stories.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

wasn`t he the catholic pizza driver?

seems the terrorists just want to murder anyone and have NO CAUSE at all.

peace won through and yet these emtremists hate the idea.

SEE AMERICA, TERRORISTS DON`T JUST WEAR A TURBAN

so stop funding them.

[edit on 11/3/09 by Harlequin]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join