It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bomber forced down at city airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

US bomber forced down at city airport

www.news.com.au

A US Air Force bomber has made an emergency landing at Melbourne Airport.

The B1B Lancer bomber, which can carry conventional and nuclear arms over a large distance, landed at about 9.25pm (AEDT) on last night after reporting problems with its landing gear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I, and am sure many Melbournians, heard this thing last night. The sound was intense. Personally, this plane sounded as it had an engine problem because it was "crackling" for a lack of a better word.

I'm no expert though, but have been to many airshows so I am familiar with military air craft up close and the sounds that go it.

Landing gear issue perhaps.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'd rather see a bomber make a emergency landing then blow up a city.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Most likely a bad indicator. More often than not it's just an indicator, but they land to be safe. It's beter to make an emergency landing and fix a bad indicator than it is to risk a major problem later in the flight.

It's stuck right now waiting for a tow bar.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm glad it was able to make a safe landing and notfall into a populated area. Not quite sure why it was making such a horrible sound but glad the outcome was what it was.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hmm..that's an awesome aircraft.

Disconcerting to see its having problems during routine transpo.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ragman

You're talking planes, there are ALWAYS minor problems with planes during routine movements. We had 2 F-16s on the deck for 86 days with refueling problems once. B-1s always have minor little issues, but they're flyable with them so they fly with them.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
I'd rather see a bomber make a emergency landing then blow up a city.

As long as it's not somewhere in New Jersey. Who knows what kinda reaction that might create.

Seriously. Nevertheless. This explains all the rumbling they were feeling down there. When I watch/read/hear about stuff like this I can't help but think about stuff that happens like in the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Where the Bay Of Pigs disaster was averted because IRBMS in Turkey were dismantled when in actuality it was because US Authorities returned Doctor Sokolov back to the Russians. Do you folks understand where I'm going with this?

And another thing. Are they sure the emergency landing was because the plane was having engine trouble? Or did the crew just want to stop and pick up a couple kangaroo T-shirts and a novelty didgeridoo from the airport gift shop?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Can it take off from the field it landed on?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

If they have to they will take off with only two pilots, and just enough fuel to get to the nearest big airport. They can download things like the extra ejection seats, and other equipment if necessary. It might be a dicey take off, but they'll be able to get out.

They won't have any trouble at all. One of the runways there is 12000 feet long.

[edit on 3/7/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

They never said engine problems. They said they were having landing gear problems. One article said that they were making a planned landing at the airport, but had a problem with the gear, so they declared an emergency. Most likely one of the indicators in the cockpit didn't go green like it was supposed to, so they weren't sure it was down and locked.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The Aus Broadcast Corp has a slightly different take

The US Air Force says the landing should not have been classed as an emergency and the plane was diverted to Melbourne because the Avalon airstrip was closed.

Colonel Dennis Malser says the plane blew a tyre on landing but it was not dangerous.

"We train for that every day, for emergency procedures, which is not a big deal, it just blew one of the tyres," he said.

"They landed the airplane safely, they pulled it off and they fix the airplane as we speak."

The plane was on the north-south runway for about half an hour after landing about 9:30pm AEDT.

It has since been moved, but remains at Melbourne airport awaiting a tow from Avalon.

Once that arrives, it will be moved to another area of the airport for investigation and repairs.

Flights from Melbourne Airport are running as scheduled.
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I just hope the aircraft is still flying for the airshow.

LMAO.

That's all I care about.

As for the B-1 making a crackling sound........... it's the loudest plane in the sky... of course it does.

Also, a C-5 flew into Avalon last night which makes a very distinctive sond.

Was that it?

[edit on 7/3/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

The B1B Lancer bomber, which can carry conventional and nuclear arms over a large distance...

Reporters need to check their facts first. The B-1B has its nuclear capability removed in the 90's and it will not be reinstated. And yes, the Lancer is a very loud aircraft, engine problems or not.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I wasn't aware it was the loudest plane in the sky!!!

Anyway the you tube link was pretty close to what I heard, though no flames

Looks like I'll be seeing it at the airshow next week.... giddy up

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by one_small_step

I don't know if I would say it's THE loudest plane flying, but it's up there when they use afterburners. The SR-71 used to be the loudest plane that I know of on take off.

top topics

join