It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Facebook is good for you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Why Facebook is good for you

www.newscientist.com

IT STARTED with an article in the journal Biologist (vol 56, p 14) by the psychologist Aric Sigman. He argued that the increasing use of electronic media was causing a decrease in face-to-face social contact. Given that loneliness and isolation are linked to an increased risk of illness and death, might the internet and social networking sites be a health risk?

That could be because using the internet and social networking sites actually appears to reduce loneliness and improve well-being, as was reported as long ago as 2002 in the Journal of Social Issues
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Facebook ! Boy ! I cant live without it. Not that I am a addict, but it is a way for me to keep in touch with my freinds, who may be dispersed all over the world.

It is my online community and message center all rolled into one, complete with photos and fun apps.

Does it reduce my lonliness? maybe not, but definetely keeps me busy with all the stuff on it.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's also a way for the capstone to profile you, your family, and your friends.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I don't see the studies being done as valid, as many people would not be connected all across the globe if it wasnt for the internet. It is truly a communication device on a global level. Thus, networking will always come under attack from the neocons, as well as their monitoring. They win by dividing and conquering the world.

This being said,while I'm aware that certain sites, facebook included, have been rumored to be created by the cia. But they are just one example, as now there are many more.

We need more and more ways to connect with others around the globe.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
But it is a way for me to keep in touch with my freinds, who may be dispersed all over the world.

Haven't you heard of instant messenger's?
From pc to pc, you can use Pidgin, or many other messenger, without any MS or yahoo or skype spying.You don't need someones server for it to go through.
You can even install it on your mobile phone.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Haven't you heard of instant messenger's?

Of course I use instant messaging. But the beauty of Facebook or Orkut is that you and your freinds dont have to be online at the same time. you can drop in a message any time you want. This helps when people are in different time zones.

Besides you can post your photos on these websites. You can even date through this website (though I wont recommend that
)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I dont condone or recomend using Facebook at all.

I would rather keep my personal details hidden from public viewing.

I dont see the need to keep in touch with friends and family through presenting personal records for others to see.

I would prefer to keep it hidden from others so i would use, email, telephone [ ringing/messaging ], MSN, email...........and not forgeting to pick up the dam phone lol

Regardless of who runs these sites, the message should be clear enough to keep personal details to your self

IP

[edit on 7-3-2009 by InfoProvider]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Facebook and other sites that are similar are more than like using the messenger, or skype which is even better to me. The difference is, if you're not the kind who gets out and attends many events, you actually meet people from around the world, and talk to people and develop friendships that you would never normally do. It makes the world much smaller, and creates networks of people where they wouldn't have had that chance.

The only thing that would even be sweeter, to add to the ability to meet and communciate with others, would be a wrist teleporter. Thats my dream! Your kids could go to school in Tokyo, you could have dinner out in Venice, and attend a concert in New York City, as a an example with global friends. This is the future I want to see.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Instant messaging and skype are for keeping in touch with contacts. Facebook, livejournal, and many other sites, including ats, and forums are for making contacts and friends from around the world. There is quite a difference between the two.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I deleted my facebook account 2 weeks ago.... look at the history of "who" started it.... you might find the govt. is the ONE behind facebook..... think about it, a good way to keep tabs on people!

I also did not want them having my info "forever"!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Why Facebook is bad for you...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Anyone who subscribes and contributes to any social networking might as well just take the chip and get it over with.

In fact, the people who do will probably be the ones who line up for the chip thinking *How cool is that*!

Social Networking, Reality Shows, etc?

Big Brother stroking you along to conformity, a precursor for the time when they control surveillance whether you like it or not.

peace

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Facebook a CIA Front?

I think this is probably the best rundown I've seen about Facebook.

My girlfriend is on that thing non-stop, so are most of my friends. I don't get it ...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Found this interesting article about Social Networking theory. The esssence of this article is that "everybody is smart on Facebook", nobody is dumb. Social network sites provide you an avenue to project yourself positively in front of others and therby hide your negative traits. So it may be fair to surmise that true personalities are hidden on such sites.

S o c i a l N e t w o r k T h e o r y

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

Facebook ! Boy ! I cant live without it.

good luck with that, buddy..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
It's also a way for the capstone to profile you, your family, and your friends.

That's just a Conspiriatorialistic Theorum!

Everyone of quality already knows that there are no such things as the Bilderberg Group, Council on Foreign Relations Trilateral Commision and Globalists (communists).

Communists only exist in the movies and facebook is not a profiling tool, it is good for you. ;-)

It increases neural activity and creates a pleasure stimulus. And who here doesn't like a good pleasure stimulus?

*Remember to keep your picture updated so that your 'friends' can recognize you!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
They already have info on everyone. I have an account on facebook but never log in. lol. I meet people with similar interests online, through good forums, for example, then there are passworded ones. But I believe in the end, its all monitored. However, without good global sites that connect people, we would be pretty closed in, unless we fit a certain personality profile and are out all the time. And theres an enormous difference between meeting people locally and the ability to meet and get close to others around the globe.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Instant messaging and skype are for keeping in touch with contacts. Facebook, livejournal, and many other sites, including ats, and forums are for making contacts and friends from around the world. There is quite a difference between the two.

100 percent agreed.

I cannot fathom why anyone would consider using MySpace or Facebook to actively recruit friends, if you ever look at them, the people who have thousands of friends probably don't know a quarter of the ppl on their lists and just do it to "feel" popular. In the end it could cause an even bigger emotional meltdown when they suddenly realize that not one of those people really cares outside of the medium and wouldn't life a finger or a (talon in some cases) to help or nurture their feelings.

The mass mentality in this case may be a setup for a huge emotional failure in the end.

Personally I pop on a few forums that interest me, talk with like minded people and if they really give a darn, they can use Skype to talk..

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I just created my FB account yesterday and I'm AMAZED at the number of people from my past whom I've been able to reconnect with.

I abstained for the longest time due to my understand on Where it started, by Whom and Why

But

Used in moderation (i.e. providing the Least amount of information possible) I honestly believe that moving forward by reconnecting with other folks is much better than constantly looking over one's shoulder.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I wouldnt say its good for you....each to his own I say

I am a member there too, originally used it to find friends I went to school with, and if the CIA knows all about me then kudos to them....becuase I dont give a fek

By the way there is an ATS and a BTS group there for anyone if they are interested

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join