It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just for fun, make a UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This will probably tick off some people here as fakery is always frowned upon.
I was thinking how many times I see helium balloons accidently get let go of by kids from parties etc.
Why not attach something like a cardboard circle with tinfoil to reflect light to the balloons string. Maybe even tinfoil the balloon so that it is reflective.
If the balloon is big enough to carry something then attach colored bright LED lights or something like that.
Would be a fun party trick at least. I can think of tons of ways to make something like this look really convincing. Heck even two pie tins put together could look like a tiny UFO. Or better yet hide a bunch of balloons inside a large lightweight UFO looking saucer.
Add a few colored lights and voila!
Just have to go to a distant area and let it fly away at dusk.

Edited to add this: For the people who get mad that this topic is even taking place, consider this is good information to have here since it could help someone debunking a case. This way if the information is available on how fake UFOs are made, then unknown UFO sightings will be better understood.

[edit on 3/7/2009 by darklife]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Someone has a lot of time of their hands. Why not put your time to good use and do something productive instead of releasing balloons into our atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Why not make a contest?

Best Hoaxer of 2009!
Please upload your very own UFO hoaxes and the best will be nominated by ATS members.

So get it on, I'm already recharging my camera.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

I think the lazy could pick up a few Chinese lanterns on Ebay. I think they are potentially dangerous because of a fire hazard. I wonder if they could be blown down into foliage or buildings and set said buildings or foliage on fire. Especially somewhere as crowded as the UK.

I think the most ethical, outside of helium balloons with LEDs, are the solar powered type of balloons, of course they're not so good at night:

ourworld.compuserve.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Why use Chinese lanterns when you can use a real, highly reflective RC UFO Blimp!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a661e7b33f47.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Or a spinning RC UFO!

Complete with strobes!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

They'd be good, but I think range is in an issue. I suspect many deliberate hoaxes using those Chinese lanterns look up air direction then release them in unpopulated areas adjacent to populated areas. I think hoaxers are childish, but if I were going come up with a plan I'd try that first. I suspect many of the more prosaic reports (not all of them) in the local press here in the UK are bored teenagers attempting to screw with adults (as well as accidental release at parties etc).

I'd have to see if I could get the kind of height range needed for the maximum number of people to see it. Timing is probably paramount because releasing anything too late at night probably automatically limits the number of potential viewers. I wonder if there are more of such hoaxes in the summer or winter.

In summer's favour is that there's more people around, against it is less hours of darkness, and the inverse for winter. It's stupid but I could imagine myself, years ago as a teenager, finding it quite funny because it's sticking your middle finger up at adults.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Well at least there are a few nice replies so far. This was a just for fun post. I am not actually going to do this but figured it may spark a second conversation on how many sightings may be just fake homemade "UFOs" and how people may go about making them. Afterall like some of the replies have sited the kid toys and such that are made to look like saucers it wouldn't take much for a person with some freetime to fly one and maybe make their local paper under a mass UFO sighting

Too many people lately seem to think anything weird they see floating in the sky is aliens visiting us. Not saying anyone here is dumb enough to be one of those people, but there are many people out there who wouldn't second guess it and just point and say "UFO!"

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
[removed quote of off-topic content]

If that wasn't the most mature reply of the year

Maybe lighten up a little?

[edit on 7-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by RFBurns

Or a spinning RC UFO!

Complete with strobes!

Hehe I have always wanted one of those but have more important things to spend money on. Oh well. That RC would have drove my cats nuts!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is a 72" helium balloon with a bunch of chemical glow sticks attached to the bottom, on 1000 yards of fishing line, lol.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by downtown436]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklife

[removed quote of off-topic content]

If that wasn't the most mature reply of the year

Maybe lighten up a little?

[edit on 7-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

I spend a very significant part of my life in dark wet fields looking skyward for evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence whilst you are encouraging people to litter the skies with rubbish....and you are asking me to lighten up?

MH

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
www.youtube.com...

This is a 72" helium balloon with a bunch of chemical glow sticks attached to the bottom, on 1000 yards of fishing line, lol.

Yeah I was just checking youtube and was suprized by how many videos there are of people showing their fake UFO footage. I guess if you use glow sticks it's a good idea to black tape one side of the stick so that when it spins around it will look like it's flickering on/off. Maybe if you used a few different colored glowsticks it would look a lot neater.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

SAD SAD SAD.....YOU REALLY DONT BELONG ON THIS SITE DO YOU!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Do NOT make any fake UFOs. This is a disinformation campaign, because there WILL be increased UFO sightings, right now. And, the government wants to keep control. Remember that fraud is a punishable offense, and lying is a mortal sin. Releasing an object into the air to insight panic or to fraud the public into believing a falsehood, is illegal and WILL be seen as a terrorist act, that WILL be investigated.

Hoaxes are illegal.

O-315

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Clairaudience I think you have a really good idea, why don't you start up that thread yourself, I think it would be a very good thread and get lots of attention.

I'm sure many would like to participate in such a venture.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
www.youtube.com...

Just make sure your not holding it when a plane comes passing by and tangles up with the fishing line lol.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Um Here

gotta give a star for trying

top topics

join