It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 arrested in NV probe of 'anti-government' group

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

4 arrested in NV probe of 'anti-government' group

www.sfgate.com

Four members of an anti-government group have been arrested on charges that include money laundering, tax evasion and possession of unregistered machine guns, U.S. Attorney for Nevada Greg Brower said Friday.

Authorities said the four men are members of the Sovereign Movement, a group that attempts to overthrow the government and defy authority with "paper terrorism." The arrests in Las Vegas on Thursday capped a three-year investigation into the group's activities led by the Nevada Joint Terrorism Task Force, Brower said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Is this story what it really says, or is this the new "terrorist"---The people who go against big brother and push for sovereignity? Are these "charges" actual crimes commited, or ways to silence and intimidate dissent and movements to cut the chord from Uncle Sam altogether?

On the surface, and according to "authorities" and this article, these appear to be "bad guys" who are up to no good, but what if all is not exactly what it seems, and this is what happens to the new group of folks who have finally had enough with what is being done to us.

Something to ponder...There may be more to this story than is being told, and I expect to see a LOT of similar stories like this in the future. Keep a close eye on this one...

www.sfgate.com

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This is just bias and bad journalism. A very bad (and blantant) attempt to subliminally link anti-government to illegal behavior. And of course to tack on terrorist to a less important word for another good dose of paranoia. Hell if "paper terrorism" was actual terrorism, half of the major corporations should be going bankrupt due everyone being in jail. The laundering these 4 did, is just a minor pittance in comparison to what America has really been cheated out of by the real "paper terrorists."

Bad what the 4 individuals did in terms of laundering. However the whole anti-government portion tacked on to the story is just so sad that I laughed IRL.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
here it is the beginning...

my question is that how do any of us know if it wasn't part of the CIA's secret agenda to have people create these groups to launder millions of dollars and use qualities of the enemy(most of us) to become as authentic as possible.

Like a riot provocateur who went to college. To do all these things so that none lay in the path of royalty and smug trillionaires, to allow for no resistance in the ushering of the new world order.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree DD, there is surely more to the story , i will be watching the "evolution of labels" . Since all partys concerned are Americans i.e dress the same /speak the same .... these new terrorists will have to be distinguished from the general population , if they are to be vilified.

It will be the group that do not go peacefully that will garner the serious headlines , some form of protracted siege ~ could be a flashpoint.

" Paper Terrorism " .... it does sound like a crack down on dissent ~

S&F

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

It wasn't very much of a 'secret' agenda. The article says flat out that it was FBI agents who they 'laundered' the money for. Presumably, the agents encouraged them to do so:

Davis and Rice are accused of laundering roughly $1.3 million for undercover FBI agents, who described the money as loot from a bank fraud scheme.

The 'bank fraud scheme' was likely some kind of sight draft deposit, as a guess. I hadn't heard the term "paper terrorism" before, so I did some searching. From 2003:

Charles K. Bailey, an anti-government extremist with links to the "sovereign citizen" movement, was sentenced on June 10, 2003 to ten years in prison following his conviction in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Common Pleas Court on an array of charges related to a paper terrorism scam.

Bailey, 38, of Canton, Ohio, who calls himself Shareef Malik El Bey, was found guilty on 36 charges ranging from racketeering and theft to forgery and possession of criminal equipment; all part of a scheme known as "redemption," a tactic involving bogus checks that has become increasingly popular among anti-government extremists since 1999.

In one of the schemes, Bailey and an associate deposited a $100,000 sight draft, a fake check-like instrument, at Ohio Savings Bank. They withdrew $80,030 a few days later and wired it to a bank account in Estonia. According to Interpol, the money was transferred to an account in Berlin, where they were then able to withdraw money through an Internet account.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.adl.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yeah but they aren't being charged with, terrorism, or anti government type crimes.
They are being charged with, money laundering, tax evasion and possessing unregistered machine guns.
If they hadn't have done these illegal things, then the government would have had nothing to arrest them for.
Although, they probably would have made something up.
Even someone pro government could be arrested for these things.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This seems an awful lot like entrapment to me. I'm sure the feds found a way around it tho.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Is this story what it really says, or is this the new "terrorist"---The people who go against big brother and push for sovereignity? Are these "charges" actual crimes commited, or ways to silence and intimidate dissent and movements to cut the chord from Uncle Sam altogether?

On the surface, and according to "authorities" and this article, these appear to be "bad guys" who are up to no good, but what if all is not exactly what it seems, and this is what happens to the new group of folks who have finally had enough with what is being done to us.

Something to ponder...There may be more to this story than is being told, and I expect to see a LOT of similar stories like this in the future. Keep a close eye on this one...

www.sfgate.com

well, bank fraud is a crime, whether they are against the government or not. and it does say that they will get their day in court, so they will have a jury deciding their fate.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Holy crap! Based on this, you could throw almost every corporate CEO and president right into the clink, especially the bankers and wall street fraudsters. Talk about paper terrorists!

What makes this so damned funny is that it is obvious that the government is crapping their pants over this and working over-time to try and send a message to the people not to follow along. Got news for ya politicians - you had better get good and used to it. As this country continues its nosedive, YOU WILL BE held accountable. Count on it!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Quite true, which begs the question, why aren't all the current bank fraud HEADS being incarcerated like these individuals?

Oh, that's right, the money laundering and extorting they're doing from us is LEGAL, courtesy of the same Big Brother that these individuals are speaking out against. Not only are they not being prosecuted for their own schemes, they are being REWARDED, again and again by the gov with more "bailout" money, courtesy of our tax-dollars!

Double standard, nah!

[edit on 7-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You know, John Titor was a fraud. However, he hit the nail on the head about the coming civil war and the governments early reactions to it.

"Get the posse! Will get 'em Marshall!"

This is blatant propaganda trying to make anyone who stands up look like a "tear-erist".

It's a matter of time before the 'average' sheeple get tired of this and join movements for sovereignty and a return to the Constitution of United States of America!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
ill go out on a limb and say that who's to know if the other charges wern't just bunk filler to get a conviction, the article sure dd pay alot of attension to there political veiws, and cops have sent more then one innocent person to prison. cant get em for freedom of expression but toss a gun in there and some "dirty cash" and now you got your villians.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Did anyone see that one of the men arrested was a RETIRED FBI agent? Seems to me that once an agent, always an agent. Sooo...long story short....quite possibly these four guys may have had a legitimate thing going...but their comrade in arms was still working for the man on the sly...bet he was the one that did the "introductions" to the "right" people and set up a bunch "good" deals...and of course to protect his cover, he will be charged right along with his three "friends".

I agree that it sounds a lot like entrapment...or the usual dirty dealing that Big Brother gets away with on a daily basis.

~Holly

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The charges brought against Randy Weaver were bull so I wouldn't put anything past the fed.

I wonder if there will be new wave of "homegrown" terrorist crackdowns. This must be that Clinton/Reno era nostalgia so many were looking forward to reliving. Let's see if they burn a bunch of cult members to death like Waco.

Ah, the 90's.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
How long will it be before they come for me I wonder. I'm the most critical person I know of the government and I'm publicly vocal here in Reno, NV...

Joint Terrorism Task Force...Basically they been looking for excuses to bust American citizens on trumped up charges. I don't believe a word of what these people are saying.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is what I found on the term "paper terrorism:"

The Origins of Bogus Liens

Simply put, a lien is an encumbrance upon property, typically an encumbrance placed by a creditor upon specific property of a debtor as security for his or her debt. There are many variations of liens, from tax liens to mechanic’s liens to vendor’s liens. In a generic sense, a bogus lien is one which does not fit the requirements for that type of lien or which is altogether unauthorized by law. A contractor may not place a mechanic’s lien against the property of a customer who does not owe the contractor money, for instance. In the context of this report, the definition of bogus lien is much more specific: a lien placed by an individual against an entity not for the recovering of debts lawfully owed but rather a) as a tactic to evade a law, regulation, or obligation, or b) as a tactic of intimidation, coercion, or retaliation. An example of such a lien could be one placed by a disgruntled litigant on the property of the judge who presided over his divorce settlement. The judge in this example owes the litigant no money or services; he or she has merely irritated the litigant by his or her handling of the divorce case.

One does not have to go to court to file a lien; one may simply file, for a small fee, the appropriate documents with the local county recorder or clerk. As a result, bogus liens are extremely easy to file. The fact that liens in the United States operate on what is in essence an "honor system"—in which every lien is assumed to be valid unless proven otherwise—means that the burden of disproving the validity of a lien rests upon the lienee. Typically this means retaining an attorney and going to court for a quiet title action. Thus where there are no laws to the contrary, bogus liens may be easily and inexpensively placed, but can only be removed with difficulty and expense. It is this fundamental disparity which makes the use of bogus liens such an efficient and cost-effective tactic for anti-government extremists.

Although the earliest origins of the use of bogus liens remain unclear, the credit for developing an effective weapon of "paper terrorism" out of them must go to the organization known as the Posse Comitatus, a right-wing (and largely white supremacist) extremist group which originated around 1970 and flourished up to the mid-1980s before declining by the end of the decade. The term "Posse Comitatus" means "power of the county," and Posse adherents argued that the county level of government was the highest level of government in the country. They did not deny the existence of the state or federal governments, but rather claimed that the county government could overrule or ignore any state or federal law because it was the level of government closest to the people. The Posse argued that the legitimate ("de jure") government in this country had been subverted long ago by a massive conspiracy and replaced with an illegitimate ("de facto") government, the one the United States has today.

More...

Link.

Now I understand fully.

Not a surprise they were arrested for this.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
That paper says it's effective for Anti-government extremists...I'd say we have a long way to go if this is what extremism looks like in this country.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The problem with this is that most people will not see past what they are supposed to see. Most people who read this article will start to think that anyone against what the government is doing are evil and want to kill people. This article did what it was supposed to do. It took the average bottom feeder that the government wants to control and told them what to look out for. there will be more of these I am sure. I know plenty of so called "Smart" people who will read this and see that those of us who question are the enemy and must be turned into the police for arrest.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This reminds me of what they did to Tommy Chong. They have someone on the inside trying to make them do illegal stuff then when they do, BAM jail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join