It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

christchurch, new zealand - just saw huge light in sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
hi all,

i was just sitting outside on this warm clear night. just past 9.40pm here.

was looking South west when i saw a huge light appear from no-where in the sky!!

there are definatley no planes in that direction and this was like 10 times bigger than any plane.

it was a huge round yellow light, very bright indeed. it just appeared in the sky for like 5 seconds then disappeared. it did not move and did not seem to move away when it disappeared, it just seemed like it turned its light off in that position!!!

any ideas??? i have seen many shooting stars before and this was definatley no star, no plane etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
cloudy or clear skies???

Not a one line post, more a one line question....

Peace

Sorry, just saw you said it was a clear night....my bad!!!

[edit on 7/3/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
im from christchurch, was in st albans... didnt see nufin unusual bout da skies...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Could it be a meteor burning up?
Remember the one in Canada it lit up the whole sky.
A smaller one you could see as a light in the distance then it goes out.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
yes, its a very clear night. not been a cloud in the sky all day. i checked the map and its more of a wsw direction i saw it.

it seemed really far away, but it was massive object. the nearest i can explain it was, like a huge light being turned on then being switched off again. this thing was definatley not moving which i have never seen anything like this before.

i am still going out every 5 mins checking if it comes back!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
i am in st albans too!!! wow. yes it was in a wsw direction. not many stars out that direction either.

surely if it weas a meteor it would seem to move, this thing was still as!!

[edit on 7-3-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
im near edgeware road, jst went out to take a look, bt i dnt see anything peculiar... but ONE peculiar thing which happened was my house shook a bit around 9.50pm

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
this is weird. i live like right beside you!!! never felt any shaking though.

this light was only there for about 5 seconds. i saw some weird lights in that direction a couple of weeks back too.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I've seen the same thing last summer. It was like someone turned a very strong halogen light at high attitude, where passengers planes fly.

The flash lasted about a second, and its fading out lasted several more seconds. After that there were no other lights, like plane's position lights which are normally on (blinking green and red lights). There was no plane there.

Airplanes do have such strong lights, but they use them only for landing, not at that hight.

So, I don't know what it was.

Any clues?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i agree planes have strong lights. the only problem is, the planes flight paths are not in the direction i saw this, and like you said also it just went out and there was nothing.

i emailed ufocus new zealand and got this reply!!!

"Hi Grant

Thanks for sending us your report. We have now received 7 sightings from the Christchurch area this year, and one of them was on the same night as your sighting.

We are looking into these, and we will be back in touch with you in due course, and may have a few more questions.

Regards
Suzanne Hansen
Director UFOCUS NZ "

www.ufocusnz.org.nz...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I too was looking out that night, i live in Redwood, Christchurch, but didnt notice anything, damn i keep wanting to spot something unusual, after my father told me a story , regarding seeing an odd object when he was in his twenties, near lumsden.
He said it was a bizzare light that moved eratically and in no way could have been a plane, he was convinced it was a ufo...... this was 40 years ago now!

Good to see some kiwis alive and kicking on ATS!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The general description has all the hallmarks of an Iridium Flare.

I've given the link since you don't mention satellite flaring, so I assume you haven't seen it before. They can be breathtaking.

You can get predictions for flares at your location by signing up with Heavens Above.com. All you need are the coordinates of your location.

WG3

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
surely if it weas a meteor it would seem to move, this thing was still as!!

Not always.

If a meteor happens to be heading directly towards you, it will not appear to move at all. Meteors that appear to do this are called "point meteors".

They are relatively rare though, and as waveguide says, I think it's more likely that you saw a very slow moving satellite flare, but missed the motion.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

it was just one of those portals

new topics

top topics

join