It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Am Not Afraid of Spirits or Demons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Okay, this is the first time I've posted a thread here, so please go easy on me. The following thoughts are meant to be taken just a little bit tongue in cheek:

The other day I was home alone, and was down in the dark basement doing the laundry, when that creepy feeling came over me again. That feeling that maybe just behind me there might be a shadowy, tentacled figure rising up to have it's fun while it scares me to death when I turn around. Has anyone else ever had that?

So....... this time I turned around really fast to face my imaginary phantom, and suddenly this interesting thought occurred to me. What if something really was there? For once just let it show itself, and do its best to scare me. What would be the result? Actually the result would be really beneficial. All my existential questions and doubts about faith in God would suddenly vanish! Think about it. If there really are spirits, ghosts or demons, if one actually did materialize before you it would then be absolute proof in your mind that there is a realm that exists beyond our own physical life here. You would KNOW in your own mind that there really is a spiritual world! If there is such a thing as spirits or demons, then that probably means means there really is a Satan, and if Satan exists therefore the inverse must be true and there is also a God. If God exists, then there must be something else beyond this plane, so there's probably a Heaven too.

I just stood there for a moment in the dark basement, and then called out to the shadows "Fine, this is it. C'mon and show yourself"!

Ever since I was a little kid I've been more or less afraid of the dark - now as a middle-aged adult I've finally come to terms with it. If some pesky ghost or demon actually did make a move to interfere with me or show itself - it would be completely blowing its own game. The terrifying experiance would be totally worth it because it would be handing me the very thing that evil spirits are supposed to be fighting against by nature. Owned! Ha!

[edit on 6-3-2009 by warza]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
That is a cool way to look at that situation, seeing the demon would confirm almost all the questions one might have and give a validation to some extent on the meaning of life.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

Another question is, if it had allowed itself to be seen are you sure you would allow yourself to see it? Never under estimate the power of human denial or more precisely the human ability to convince himself something is or isn't there.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

This is more or less exactly what I have thought on the situation, If I saw a demon or spirit it would instantly prove to me of the existence of the spirit world and therefore God (unless the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy was right and by proving him he ceases to exist).
www.whysanity.net...

Then again if the lore on demons is true then they probably know this is the way I think and thus avoid contact with me...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have seen a spirit and it ignored me. One morning I was walking to the kitchen and I noticed a black figure out of the corner of my eye. I stopped to look and there was a large black fuzzy shaped figure sitting on my couch. I just stared and it stood up turned and walked toward the wall and went through it. Some four years later my youngest son saw the same figure walk into the porch off the living room and back into the living room.

It was really almost unbelieveable, but it was there.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

Good stuff man...

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the subject...

As for the religious connection - something materializing out of thin air does not mean Hell or Heaven exists...it could be some bored or sick-in-the-head multi-dimensional being.

Now, if it appears in front of me with horns, talons/hoofs, flaming tail and red eyes while speaking Latin real fast - then yes, I may re-think my position on the subject.

content edit!

[edit on 3/7/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warza

Hey Warza,

I'm new to this, but I also am not afraid of ghosts, demons and such.

I used to live across from a gigantic cemetary, and I actively tried to search for ghosts by visiting there at night, but never had any luck.

I do believe that ghosts do exist, though, and that non-material objects are possible, memory, thought, dreams, etc, are examples of the "non-material." Subatomic particles are said to be "ghostly" when broken down to their smallest component, "there but not really there," and when shot through one hole, come out through a hole they weren't supposed to come out of, (Uncertainty Theory?) Weird!

I believe that people create ghosts, demons, etc., because they so strongly want to believe they exist. I believe that people are able to literally, and physically will them into existence, projecting them onto reality, manifesting them as actual entities.
Otherwise, ghosts do not exist per se. As least to me.

I worked in a mental hospital and saw some incredible things. I saw a little old 90 lb. woman gain superhuman strength, ripping a heavy water fountain off a wall and throwing it across a tall room, hitting the top of a 10 -12 ft "unbreakable" plexiglass window, and breaking it! She then picked up & threw heavy, heavy furniture across the same room, and throwing big men, 6 ft+ around like rag dolls. I used to bench press 500 lbs then. It took about 10 of us to finally restrain her. There were other similiar occurences. I can see why people believed that demons and spirits existed and possessed people. There was no other way to explain, "a psychotic episode," and the superstrength and delusions that accompanied mental illness. She and others with schizophrenia, really do believe that the devil or others are out to harm them, and so they respond, and sometimes with so much fear and desparation that they become superhuman trying to defend themselves.

I get the feeling that we as human beings do not realize how much strength or brain power we actually have. To be able to call up that energy at will, damn. Thanks for your thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for all the cool replies, everyone.

I think most people have at least some innate fear of the dark (a left-over from our caveman days?), which is why I was kind of thinking about this. Nice to hear other people's thoughts about something that I doubt most adults would admit to or talk about.

I have also noticed that animals seem to sense, or be afraid of ghosts. I knew a really intelligent Irish Setter once (the really rare smart-like-a-person kind), and I played a trick on him. I shut the door on him at work, with me inside the room with him and said "a ghost is going to get you now, Turk", and made my best Aaaaaaaagh...... Twighlight Zone impression of a cemetary ghost. He got totally freaked out! You could see in his eyes that he was really scared and knew what I meant. He was looking around the room and pawed at the door to get out. This was not a dog that was afraid of people, and I certainly would never do any harm to him - he knew that.

I pet him, told him I was sorry and let him out right away. I always considered that experience as food for thought.

(edited because of my always persistant dislexia.....aaagh!

[edit on 7-3-2009 by warza]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
hahhaa awesome logic man. Maybe I can hire you to convince me to quit smoking?
snf.

for real tho it makes so much sense, and it's almost ironically simple. Do you think along these lines that maybe demons try to distort miracles and the like? Do you believe that God does not prove himself because we then would be almost slaves to worshipping him? Keep in mind that if you are given irrefutable evidence of God, you then have no choice but to worship, in a way. Like as if you're going to go against God if you know he exists, and he knows that, so he's not "logical" because logic is kind of a beneficial slavery if you will.

edit for example:

Like we are slaves to 2+2=4. You cannot go against it cause it's logical. Slavery! But good slavery. Maybe the only kind.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by heyo]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Heyo, that is really heavy. Some very deep stuff there. Yes, I have thought of all those things myself, and I totally agree. It would be nice if God could just show up on demand and wipe out all our doubts.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm also not afraid of spirits which bring on demons.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I know man! The congruency of logic ans slavery actually just hit me the other day. Don't you find it ironic that if this is true...heaven and hell are working towards the same goals? They don't have logic to prove God cause neither side wants it, except the only difference is the motive= selfishness/selflessness. Also another big thing i hit was that sacrifice of Jesus may have been to embody "turn the other cheek" (which, since the world exists, God did), since turn the other cheek was kinda new to Judaism (or whatever it was at the time), God doing it himself (allowing us to kill his son), should have been a a sign that turn the other cheek is legit. Lookin' forward to your response, and if you aren't religious its okay i'm just havin' fun with my "slavery" lol.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Seeing spirits, good or bad, does not prove to me the existance of God. It proves to me that there is life after death, and that there's a whole lot we don't know.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It is a good thing to hold evidence up to the light, so you can see it clearly.
two lines.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by warza

I gotta disagree with you on your last asertion tho op. God HAS given me an event that it irrefutable, and after you get that you are marred by guilt at every corner. Then, you realize guilt is what brought down the world. In a nutshell anyways. So thinking like this man, I'd have to say that you DON'T want irrefutable proof of God. That means that you cannot accidently go against him, which is better than doing it with a knowledgeable mind.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You dont just see ghosts like that. Its like SEP. You have to just accedintly come across it. See it by chance. You just might not be intune to these kinds of happenings, not seeing and/or thinking on the right planes. (SEP: Seombody Elses Problem , only something u happen to notice, out of the corner of ur eye, or just a flicker)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In answer to your responses heyo, yes, I am a born again Christian. But I don't want MY beliefs to cloud this thread. I was just wondering if other people have thought about this. To summerize: if you saw a ghost, how would it change, or effect your belief system?

Man, anything to do with beliefs or religion gets complicated REALLY fast. I'm not even sure how to reply to some of the responses here already.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warza

It is good to face your fears.

There are things behind you in the basement, that is why you feel it. They are spirits that have been disembodied, meaning they are people that did not reproduce children, the house of God.

If they had reproduced, then they would be gathered into the next generation, but because they did not reproduce, they are forgotten.

No one to re-member you, no re-membership.

Outside is weeping and gnashing of teeth. It is not your fear that makes your hairs stand up, it is their fear that you feel and that is the reason that it "overcomes" you.

That's my experience.

Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Hmm. Well, at first it would probably be kind of annoying to have to see a ghost, cause ya know they're breaking some rule by you seeing them so it's like, why ya gotta lay this on me. Since it has no fear to feed off of it'd probably leave.
One possible scenario anyways.

top topics

join