It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Censorship and Gang War, Vancouver, BC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu admits Media pressures for censorship!

Globe and Mail

"As police, we have always been told by media experts to never say or admit that there is a gang war, but let's get serious. There is a gang war and it's brutal," Police Chief Jim Chu told a packed news conference at police headquarters this morning.

A Gang war is raging in Vancouver, and the Media (and the corporations who own them!) is actively pressuring the Police to not report on the exploding gang violence in Vancouver.

There are NATO grade machine guns and ammunition in the hands of the City's hardest gangs and they are being used.

Gun registration, my foot.

We civilians have nothing to fight back these gangs with.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here's a list of the sponges in our society:

www.primetimecrime.com...

We've got the UN gang, the Hell's Angels, Asian Triads, Eastern European slavers and thugs; Indian gangs, Persian gangs, Latin American gangs, gangs this and gangs that. They are armed with some of the best bling out there.

What happens if when the SHTF and the police bug out or gang up, and then we have these freaks running the streets, Killing, Raping, Robbing?

We are outclassed and out gunned. We have the unfortunate segments who registered their rifles to be taken away; the shortchanged with a few bullets only in their collection; those left hapless with less-than-operational guns, and the fortunate few who have real fighting weapons that they didn't register to be taken away.

Start making your weapons now!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well at least we don't have to hear about the US gun laws need to be restricted because that is where they are getting from, like what Mexico is pulling on us right now.

Also, those guns are illegal you're not supposed to have those. Or if we ban guns it will make a safer society. If we just add this gun regulation it will fix all the problems. And you can continue to add any other excuse you've heard to ban guns here.

Why don't people realize that the world is completely insane and laws only harm law abiding citizens.

Instead the more laws that are enacted to protect ourselves from ourselves inevitably turns out like Mexico, where the criminals take over because the law abiding citizens have no means to protect themselves.

I didn't realize that Canada had a huge problem with gang violence. But I guess it is a common problem through out the world. Not to mention the censorship has kept it suppressed.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
wait wait wait wait..

the Media is asking the Police not to report?

or the Police are asking the Media not to report?

-

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
its true I live in the Vancouver area and it is getting crazy. people are walking right up to others filling up at a gas station and popping one in his face .. its at the point you dont want to even go outside.. almost wanna just put myself on house arrest. i do know the police have gotten a bit of help from around the country but its seriously getting outta control. and whats worse is its not just in one city or two but all over the lower mainland Help!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Is it only Asian gangs doing all of this? That was my assumption about all of these shootings, all linked together by that common aspect. I think the bigger censoring is that they never show the shooters or the victim's families or say that Asian gangs are involved, they just show pictures of the Cadillacs with gunshots in them. But maybe I'm just being racist.

When a black person commits a crime, the mainstream news is dying to let you know a black person dun it, but they never show a Chinese guy.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
As a fellow Vancouverite myself, I see the problem and the solutions needed to help fix the gang problem not to mention any other crime in the city.

1. Tougher laws on gang related activity and other violent crimes (more years spent in jail WITHOUT parol

2. A fix to the justice system ie: no more revolving door policy either make it so they don't get bail while awaiting trial or make it so expensive that there's no way they could afford it.

It seems that the system today is there to protect the criminals and not the victoms anymore not to mention that the criminals have it easy in our prisons. (TV, free education, etc etc.)

I love Canada and the people it is made up from but there needs to be changes made to our immigration policy. This nation was built 35 or so million strong today mostly with people coming to the country to pursue another, better way of life (my family included) and for the most part it has worked. We have a very rich diversity of cultures that one can learn from and enjoy.

1. If one any sort of criminal record then access should be denied.

2. If a person is charged and found guilty of a violent/major crime, that person should be immediately deported back to his/her country of origin. No appeal, to claims of humanitarian need to be here, or political asylum.

(I bring this up because I heard something on the news about someone who had come to this country and ended up killing another person is going to be deported and is trying to fight the ruling based on humanitarian grounds)

Lets face it, the system is flawed and is in desperate need of repair but unfortunately there are too many politically correct bleeding hearts to ever make the changes needed.

As for the policeman's comment, it makes sense. They have a job to do and it is hard enough to get the job done without admitting that in some cases you can't get the job done because of the justice system we have in place. I don't think it was the media telling them that they couldn't say it. Most likely the RCMP or VPD media relations people tell them to say there is not to admit to a problem because they don't want to either start a panic or end up with the public taking matters into their own hands. Not to mention the police here have been in hot water in the last year quite a bit.

On the other hand, sometimes I feel that the police are in a way the worse gang out there considering some of the things they have done and gotten away with. Very little to no accountability in most of the cases.

Thats my rant and im sticking to it.

(oh and to reply to Yarcofin, no its not just Asian gangs causing the problems. There are bad apples in every bunch)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I live in Vancouver, just moved here a couple weeks ago for school. From what I get from the local metro paper the gang war is currently limited to two gangs, however its a pretty weak paper so the info doesn't all check out. On one side you have the established United Nations gang, they are the powerhouse it appears, since there was a long description of the gangs proposed leader. Then on the other corner you've got the Red Scorpions, the paper didn't know much about them. Even the little gang emblem looked like something the paper had thrown together at the last moment(Misinformation maybe?). But from what I can tell they are the underdogs.

This whole thing is making me seriously think about getting a gun license and a nice little shotgun for home defense. I mean one day they had six separate instances of gang related shootings in less then twelve hours, that's insane.

Also, my first post here so, yey! welcome to the red list.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What a shame this has to happen in the beautiful Canadian city of Vancouver.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I agree, its sad. Now even more with a woman being shot and killed in Langley last night and a cabbie being stabbed in an attempted robbery.

They say justice is blind but maybe its time she takes a peek and fixes the system that has gone horribly wrong.

Like some of the suggestions I made in my earlier post. Its time to take charge of the situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yeah, it seems like Canada is falling apart.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I've lived in teh same area in S Van for nearly 17 years now and I have watched it go from a family centred community to a giant half way house / ghetto. There is a HUGE population of homeless in my immediate area, many are minorities with mental health and addiction issues who need help but are run out of the downtown area by the Olympic Commities and the Redundant Four Pillars Program. The gangs are in this area in force and our community intersects right in the middle of at least 6 gang territories. It's really like living in the DMZ. Cops on patrol undercover and marked, RIOT cops called in semi routinely to various buildings, fires and Break - ins left right and center. My building is currently over run with semi homeless casual criminals as one of my neighbors is a bit of a softy. It's like living in a half way house!

This whole area has depreciated enormously in just a matter of a few years and I know exactly why and how...APATHY from ALL cultures and colours.

Watch your properties...as soon as you see apartment building being painted lime green, and sofas and chairs being tossed on the front lawn with "Free" signs you KNOW the gangs and dredges aren't far behind.

I'm not kidding either. My BF and I have had more than enough. We're packing up and moving ASAP as Vancouver has become an absolute nightmare. Between housing prices, lack of work, inflation, crime, pollution and endless overcast/rain we just don't see staying here any longer than we have to.

Imagine vancouver AFTER the 2010 Games...get out while you still can.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I hear you, yet the problem could be fixed with reopening River View mental hospital, tougher sentences for violent and drug related crimes, and NO bail for offenders. While I see a lot of crap in that area of Vancouver, theres not many places to go where you are away from it unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
When the Chief is talking about media experts, I'd be willing to bet he's referring to the Public Affairs dept of the VPD, not the actual media. They're the same group who wouldn't let the police admit there was a serial killer running around the DTE killing prositutes.

It's ridiculous. VPD has a really bad reputation already and having the spokesperson repeat 'even though we're having daily shootings and people are dying at a rate of 1 every three days, they aren't related' makes them look more incompetent than normal.

Of course they're related - anyone with half a brain cell left could have told them that. :shk:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Media LMAO - what a joke....for nearly 3 months gangs and gang warfare has been either right on the cover or in page 2 of nearly every paper. It's a toss up beween stating the blatantly obvious of being coyly deceptive in the descriptions of the actual level of violence and the danger to the general public. They want people to be alarmed but not enough to actually convince anyone it's terribly serious.

Meanwhile in the "hood" just six blocks west of my home there have been 3 shootings, 4 bank robberies, a knife attack, several drug busts and a pedophile watch or two in a 12 month span. Not to mention the other crimes that aren't reported.

There was a rapist in the area as well but the community wasn't alerted until several weeks AFTER his release and with several reports of him being seen in the area (at a local halfway house in a nice community surrounded by apartment buildings, a shopping center and two elementary schools within a mile) GREAT warning system.

The police here are always on a slippery slope of don't ask don't tell. Everyone is so worried about the potential loss of revenue to the upcoming Games that they'd rather have the community at large in potential danger than advertise that they "may have a problem with gang and gang related violence". It boggles the mind.

if it does make the news they try to play it down so rule of thumb is to magnify it by at least 50% to get an actual representation of the problem.

So you all know too Vancouver's gang and youth squads are changing (again) to meet the "recent" challenges. More paper shuffling, PR speeches and sweeping under an already bulging carpet.

Backwoods ontario here we come!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Where is the nation of Cascadia when you need it ... Ottawa doesn't give a crap about BC

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I agree, Ottawa doenst really care about BC OR Newfoundland. These 2 provinces have been taking a back seat to the rest of the country for a long, long time.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
I agree, Ottawa doenst really care about BC OR Newfoundland. These 2 provinces have been taking a back seat to the rest of the country for a long, long time.

Care to join Cascadia with us in Oregon and Washington?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There was a study done regarding that. I believe they said that if BC, Oregon, Washington state and alberta joined together, it would be the most economically powerful country in the world with all their natural resources.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
There was a study done regarding that. I believe they said that if BC, Oregon, Washington state and alberta joined together, it would be the most economically powerful country in the world with all their natural resources.

hmmm alberta too?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join