It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO or Experimental Aircraft Testing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I found this image on Google Earth just a little due west of Area 51 in Nevada. The first thing I thought of was UFO but now I think it's more likely some sort of experimental aircraft. What do you think? The shadow it's casting makes it look like it's floating (it's just under the placemark).

This is a close-up.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It looks like some kind of tower actually. There's a bit underneath it that looks like a support column for it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Possibly a tower, but it does seem to be placed oddly in the middle of..well.. nowhere.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A lot of things out there are though. That was a former nuclear testing ground, so it could be something left over from then.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It looks like some kind of tower actually. There's a bit underneath it that looks like a support column for it.

I don't think it's a tower. The shadow isn't long enough. Also, the close up is at around 5000 ft. so it would have to be a HUGE tower to be seen that big at that alt which would make the shadow even longer. The shadow's the thing with me... it is round which leads me to believe it's something in the air.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Look right underneath the top of it. There's a silverish piece that matches up with the top portion of it that looks like it's attached.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Judging from the shadows in the the other craters, the sun is coming from the top of the image. That being the case, the dark blotch is not a shadow from the bright blotch (which looks like a larger crater to me).

Go south a bit to see a lot more of them.

On second (or third) look, I'm not sure where the sun is but it still looks like a crater.
[edit on 3/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This one's at 4711 feet eye alt. Doesn't look like a tower to me at all.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Judging from the shadows in the the other craters, the sun is coming from the top of the image. That being the case, the dark blotch is not a shadow from the bright blotch (which looks like a larger crater to me).

Go south a bit to see a lot more of them.

On second (or third) look, I'm not sure where the sun is but it still looks like a crater.

Thanks for making me look at the shadows of the craters. The sun actually looks to be coming from the South which would mean the thing's shadow should be further to the North than it is. I think maybe it's just a white patch on the ground? I have no idea.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged! Ours or theirs, I'm impressed. Seems to be some sort of flying disc hovering over a landing pad, casting a shadow on the ground. The simplest explanation is usually the best. I mean, for real, look at it.That's what it is.

[edit on 3/6/2009 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Oh...and the landing pad is elevated also because its casting a small shadow.

The brilliance of this post keeps it from being a one line post, by the way.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Many years ago I was in this area of the Nevada Test Site.I spent two weeks there for a military exercise.

You guys have been so fixated on what the object is that you apparently never noticed the hole in the ground beside it.

An entrance to a tunnel or underground facility?

Here are the co-ordinates in Google Earth.

37 11'54.80"N 116 03'18.90"W

[edit on 7-3-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
FYI, there's an option in google earth to set the time of day, you'd be able to see the shadows at different angles.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

That option creates shadows as they would appear cast by the terrain (mountains, canyons, etc.). It uses the elevation map. If things (like buildings) are not in the elevation map, they will not cast shadows.

The shadows that are in the image don't change.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
thank god phage is earing his paycheck from the NSA or MJ12, good work. Just kidding.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
Many years ago I was in this area of the Nevada Test Site.I spent two weeks there for a military exercise.

You guys have been so fixated on what the object is that you apparently never noticed the hole in the ground beside it.

An entrance to a tunnel or underground facility?

Here are the co-ordinates in Google Earth.

37 11'54.80"N 116 03'18.90"W

I've noticed. But they are EVERYWHERE around there... I always assumed they were where missles or something landed.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The round conical shaped depressions that pock mark this area are remnants of underground nuclear testing.

This area is controlled and utilized ONLY by the Department of Energy,so you can be pretty sure that what ever you are seeing is related to nuclear weapons and not anything else.

This area in reality is not even close to the Air Forces area 51.It may look like it on a map but, believe me I have been in this area and distances are deceiving in the desert.

I thought that the hole I pointed out was the entrance to a horizontal tunnel. I still believe it is.There are TBM's out here in this area. I have seen them.

I think the area you have spotted maybe related to this.

Area 1 U1a Complex

"Inside the Nevada Test Site (NTS,) and is currently where subcritical experiments are conducted for Los Alamos and Livermore National Labs for the Stockpile Stewardship Program. U1a was originally sunk in 1968 along with another shaft for planned nuclear tests that never materialized. The Ledoux nuclear test was completed there in 1990 following the addition of a 460-foot horizontal drift to U1a. Operations were suspended until 1992, bringing the construction of U1g and additional main drift mining. Enables scientists and weapons engineers to complete multiple experiments, (also known as 'shots,') without the necessity of drilling multiple vertical shafts required of actual detonations. The drifts mined around U1a and others are considered disposable, and are used once."

Area 1 U1a Complex

The location is about right.

The object you are seeing may be a static balloon that is sent
aloft to monitor and measure air quality during tests.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This is actually kind of embarrassing... it took me a little less than fifteen seconds to thoroughly debunk the idea that this is a UFO. There are three main problems with the image:

1). The area seen in the photograph is within the Yucca Flats nuclear testing site, which is open to tours. It's a relatively short hike (about one and a half miles) from there to the giant crater left by the Storax Sedan test.

2). The Air Force must be out of their minds if they are willing to test such a craft in broad daylight. I know that Google Earth used to censor out Area 51... but the Soviets certainly didn't. And I'm quite sure that the Chinese don't do that today. If a private company can launch a satellite and snap some photos of Area 51, what's to stop a foreign intelligence agency from doing the same.

3). Man, Google Earth is a nifty program. I can view satellite images from all over the world, I can change the time and date and... what's this? I can actually view historical imagery? I can go back and see that this thing has been "hovering" there since... 1998?!

Yes, it really was that simple. Invariably, whenever somebody posts a picture of some supposed UFO that they found on Google Earth, you can use the same method to show that they really didn't do even the slightest amount of research; research, mind you, that almost literally takes no effort.

My friends, you are making much ado about a tower (i.e. nothing).

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Looks like a giant yellow push pin, but it casts no shadow. Strange indeed.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Looks like a shadow from the cloud of an explosion. The explosion cloud being the whitish grey "disc" Reflecting sunlight off of it. The shadow is the that of the cloud. That's my guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join