It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: police databank on thousands of protesters (U.K)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Revealed: police databank on thousands of protesters (U.K)

www.guardian.co.uk

Police are targeting thousands of political campaigners in surveillance operations and storing their details on a database for at least seven years, an investigation by the Guardian can reveal.

Photographs, names and video ­footage of people attending protests are ­routinely obtained by surveillance units and stored on an "intelligence system". The ­Metropolitan police, which has ­pioneered surveillance at demonstrations and advises other forces on the tactic, stores details of protesters on Crimint, the general database used daily by all police staff to catalogue criminal intelligence. It lists campaigners by name, allowing police to search which demonstrations or political meetings individuals have attended.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Why is our government taking the names of every person going into a protest ? Watch the whole video...........

The police are searching , recording all you're personal info , following the media and generally harassing everyone.

They take in to account 'Political views' of each target and even have codenames for the protesters.

They then proceed to follow the journalists away from the event ... why? if not to manipulate evidence?

They will be keeping all the information collected for 7 years .. is the fair? is this right ? what have these people done wrong? to be recorded in this way ?

they also denied it constantly , well here is the Video of them doing it .... police state anyone.....

Maybe they are trying to identify the potential trouble makers before the predicted summer of discontent or even worse the big collapse NWO arrival

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/3/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I see this as the government getting antsy and a sign of weakness. I think they sense the awakening thats going on within the people.

This they think might discourage others from protesting perhaps.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
England is the nation on earth closest to a full blown police state and an orwellian scenario. This is because a lot of the more influential NWO people live in London and, consequently, the whole country is ground zero.

They want the information so they can profile the people and, if they succeed in getting a dictatorship running fully, they will be able to chose who lives and who 'vanishes', as has happened in other places such as Chile in the past.

But yes, there is also an awakening and they are running scared also, at least the lower level people who have only aquired sociopathic behaviour. The top level people are probably full blown psychopaths (see links in sig) and as such are so out of their mind they don't feel anything really.

Interesting times...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm not surprised by this news, they've been doing it for ages.

Roll up, roll up.....get yer "V" masks ere!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by disfugured
[This they think might discourage others from protesting perhaps. ]

Yes, the police in Canada do the exact same thing. They always film protesters.

The Royal Mounted Police will go to protests and film everybody. It's come to be recognized as an scare tactic, but in some cases the public is turning their cameras onto the police, and it unnerves them to see tit-for-tat action.

Recently there was an large group of pro-Tamil protestors protesting Sri Lankan aggression in their neighborhoods.

The RCMP came to their protest, and filmed everybody. Men. Women. Children.

The RCMP then went away after about an hour. Just pathetic scare tactics.

The respect the RCMP used to have is all but gone in this country.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have a great idea.

Why don't you people do what we did here in the USA to your government and form a new government with a written constitution guaranteeing your rights?

We already recognized that your government there was tyrannical or something like that 200 years ago...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

We form Governments like you form governments by a democratic vote , The royal tyranical day's are long gone,

But we are 100% in that police state, in my hometown of Nottingham (Robin Hood) most double lane roads have Digital camera's that can track you all the way to the next camera ... to reduce speeding of course .. but then i look at the local housing estates in my area.

They have huge cameras mounted on stupidly high poles in the middle of housing estates .. not overlooking any shops , just pointed at people houses these poles have massive inverted spikes at the top to stop the populace tampering with the camera if they get that high .. .. the U.K is swamped

They are starting to watch everyone all of the time ... right now near Nottingham they are installing a massive network of camera's and what they call traffic managment systems along the M1 ( main U.K motorway )

I have known for a long time that London was like this .. but now it spreading to the whole country..

The motorways are recorded , the dual carriageways ('a' roads') are recorded , the back roads are now being recorded in what is called them monitoring the worse crime areas .. these like the odd traffic speed camera will spread like a rash to every housing estate in the U.K. if you are gonna set up the New farm you have to monitor the cattle.. scary times indeed..

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If you research the powers that the royals still have in the UK you'll realise the government, although elected, in reality only rules by proxy and that the royal family still have powers to do a lot of things, like disband parliment and issue money.

After the french revolution the royal families of europe sidestepped a bit so as to not lose their heads, but they never really let the control of their nations out of their hands, mearly threw in a few liability shields into the legal framework of how the countries were run. England could be classed as an indirect monarchy, if we were to be honest about it.

Who rules the royals is an more interesting question. Between the church and the bank it's a tossup imo, although there could be secret societies above even church and bank. We would not know because they are secret, and possibly nameless.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Add in the new law making it a criminal offence to photograph the police, and the roll-out of the facial/gait recognition software loaded into the CCTV computers and you indeed have a reciepe for a Panopticon state.

Sod the demonstrations...become the typical apathetic drone as a 'grey man' strategy and you should hopefully stay below the radar

although in saying that , I may just be on that database, with information supplied by my ISP of my IP address and copies of all posts submitted to ATS since becoming a member

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The way I see it when a Government starts and has been doing this to it's own people they are really scared of something.
After reading your new's I can not see where this is helping stop crime at all!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Whilst it's a terrible thing - in the fact that it's so comprehensive and 'organised' - it's hardly a new thing. In the early 1980s it was quite common in my part of the country to see police photographers taking pictures of crowds where there had been disturbances in the past. At my local fair, for example, the presence of police photographers was as predictable as the appearance of hot dog stalls and the waltzers.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Given that you can link anybody to anything through seven points (or pieces of information) this will make interesting reading on both sides given the new plan to link all databases together.

1) You protest a chemical dump being created next to the primary school where you send your children.
2) The person standing next to you at the time also protested ‘pro life’.
3) Their sister protested animal rights.
4) Her boyfriend attended (add your choice here)
5) His brother attended an amnesty international rally.
6) One off the people being highlighted on the amnesty list was Saudi.
7) His brother was a gardener for the Bin Laden’s who went missing about the time Osama did.

You take your child to the hospital with a sprained ankle; the doctor notices a rare disease in its early stages but choices to ignore it because of your ‘pro life’ connections; as his child has a scare on her face where a protester threw a rock through his living room window. Fate it seems is cruel as the doctor giving the child in the next bed a cocktail of cancer causing drugs because his parents failed to protest the chemical dump next to his primary school, which was responsible for the cancer that killed her daughter.

When the rare disease becomes fatal as it was caught too late and a local charity sends her to the Disney Land in the US. US immigration refuses entry due to the Osama Bin Laden connection.

You later find out that they could have been saved with a new drug on trial however somebody noticed the animal rights link which slowed the development of the drug by two years costing the lives of two thousand people so took your child of the list.

Fate it seems turns, and come 2012 when the government are making list of who to save; you and your remaining family are chosen as the primary attribute they are looking for are people that will stand up and fight.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Protest on-the-street style may be the first reaction to create some form of change and has the attendant risk of being photographed and logged in a dissenters database, but there's another way, a very British beaurocratic way, of using the 'system' to achieve the goal...Flashmob meets paperwork!

Just imagine the chaos that could be caused if the many tens/hundreds of thousands of protesters declared a beaurocratic-war to drive the protest home instead...

Want to protest at bank fees and bailouts?

Get a group of individuals (say 50) and all write out cheques for every other protester for the sum of 1p (so each person writes 49 cheques) and cash them...a cheque will cost the bank somewhere in the region of 24p to process, so making a loss of 23p on each transaction. Not much, but if enough people do this it will have the effect of bringing the protest to the bank's attention when the losses due to admin costs start to rise.

Want to protest at development of an industrial incinerator on your doorstep?

Research the planning laws and lodge any and every possible miniscule objection and get a group to bombard the planning office with official paperwork and tie the planning process up in as much of its own red tape as possible...it may still get built but at a higher cost to the developer

Here's Mark Thomas in action using exactly this tactic in protest of the right to free protest in the City of London under the SOCPA law:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I have a great idea.

Why don't you people do what we did here in the USA to your government and form a new government with a written constitution guaranteeing your rights?

We already recognized that your government there was tyrannical or something like that 200 years ago...

Canada tyrannical. LMAO

The US written constitution means nothing these days, it has been erroded for a long time now. Everything happening these days is to further weaken your "written" rights. A written constitution only works if the people will enforce it and not let their gov subverte it.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I feel so safe here in the UK knowing that my Government can film me and take down my details ,keep them on file for years, and allow the Policy Force to make sure that I'm safe from noisy newspaper reporters. But if I accidentally film a Policy Officer accidentally and repeatedly trying to stop a violent crimal from headbutting the officers fist , that I can go to jail for 'terrorist' activities.
It makes me sleep so well at night knowing that Big Brother is there to stop me from doing something stupid, like caring for the planet we live on, from forming non-conformist views and from becoming healthy from not eating Government recommended foods laced with flouride and other harmless chemicals. I wonder what kind of world I would be living in now should I ever have had the chance to voice an opinion or 'do something silly'.

Thank you Big Brother...

Thanks a ****ing bunch you lazy, greedy, self centred , manipulative scumbags who think your in control. Let me tell you Government and elitist ****head's something, there are FAR more of us than there are of you, and sooner or later someone who's 'non-conformist' is going to come gunning for you.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Doing all this filming of protests and political activism indicates that the government is indeed fearful of something. Or perhaps the powers that be, behind the government, are the ones fearful?

You have to wonder, "what are they doing?" that makes them so paranoid? Average blokes could really care less, the details of who does or does not go to protests or political action events. The government wants the details. Why?

Is this kind of thing really so much of a threat, compared to crime, for eg., that they are prepared to spend so much of (your) money and time on it?

They are making themselves look bad if you look at it. What worries me the most, as a Canadian, is why you put up with it?

Why do you put up with it?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know we don't like it buts its what they always do. Governments are a threat to the people and vice versa and at times like these when the poop is hitting the fan they always get twitchy. But what is the alternative anarchy on the streets. People must be free to demonstrate for any reason and not live in fear of they are being watched but it goesd on and I know it does. Right now there are many angry people in the UK My wife being one of them.

The perps are worried that people will take to the streets in there millions and I hope they do. But there is a difference bewteen people who wish to demonstrate lawfully and peacefully and anarchists who want to bring the whole thing down.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Make no mistake about it, the exact same thing is taking place in the states as well, just a little more covertly, and under the guise of "no-fly lists" and other nonsensical surveillance state intimidatory tactics and "lists".

Notice that as the surveillance of citizenry escalates, the simultanious blocking of surveillance of gov BY the citizenry sky-rockets.

V for vendetta come to life...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
it does not matter that they have been doing this for a long time .. i don't think the police have .. maybe the British intelligence service but not the every day police force that the average law abiding citizen pays to have and to keep them safe and not to spy on them.

seems to me like they tactic is to identify potential forerunners if trouble starts on a massive scale ... they stupid thing is they do not realize is there are many many people in 'the know' and aware of the plans .. hopefully some of these people will act when the time is right .. me included

new topics

join