It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma lawmakers move to unconstitutionally silence Dawkins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This is indeed interesting. In this apparent world of the rightwing fringe where protesting against "unconstitutional" bills and what not that are yet to actually take place under this administration, we have Oklahoma lawmakers already pushing for something unconstitutional themselves... to silence a prominent evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. Amazing aint it? To think fringe individuals in this state wanted to suceed due to pending unconstitutional acts from the government, and yet they allow actual unconstitutional bills to be put forward without any real protest from those very fringe individuals.

Notable evolutionary biologist, author, and speaker Richard Dawkins was recently invited to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma as part of the school's celebration of Charles Darwin. However, Oklahoma lawmakers are working to silence Dawkins with the passage of House Bill 1015 (RTF), which reads in part: '... the University of Oklahoma ... has invited as a public speaker on campus, Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, whose published opinions, as represented in his 2006 book "The God Delusion," and public statements on the theory of evolution demonstrate an intolerance for cultural diversity and diversity of thinking and are views that are not shared and are not representative of the thinking of a majority of the citizens of Oklahoma ...

yro.slashdot.org.../03/06/1726211

Heres more...

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE 1ST SESSION OF THE 52ND OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE:

THAT the Oklahoma House of Representative strongly opposes the invitation to speak on the campus of the University of Oklahoma to Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, whose published statements on the theory of evolution and opinion about those who do not believe in the theory are contrary and offensive to the views and opinions of most citizens of Oklahoma...

Yes.... it appears the fringe groups want to silence Dawkins over "discrimmination"... when about 85% or so of americans are christian, where in states like Oklahoma itself christianity dominates everywhere you find yourself. Unbelievable... these are same fringers who pushed a bill to get their state to split due to unconstitutional acts by the government that are yet to happen.

If folks are going to start acting as the unconstitutional police here I suggest they do it on both fronts and not just rap it around when it doesnt involve them not liking what somebody else says. I understand some Dems are involved in this bill as well and I must say what a dissappointment, whatever party you concern yourself.

Unbelievable... the bill is been pushed by Oklahoma Republican senator Todd Thomsen one of the individuals that pushed for that fringe bill regarding the tenth amendment... hypocrite..

www.tenthamendmentcenter.com...

If folks really give a damn about the constitution and not just their own personal and partisan agendas, one would figure this would be paraded around the net by the fringe right.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Do you realize you used the word "fringe" SEVEN times in your above rant?

You might try mixing it up with "a marginal minority", "those at the outer edge of popular belief", "unconventional", "borderline", etc.

This is now the second thread you've made condemning Okies. Are you, by chance, a transplant here? What have Okies ever done to you to make you so antagonistic towards us?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Why do you avoid the content of the OP whitewave?

Do you not find it incredibly hypocritical the folks you paraded around are not doing the very thing you folks claim to be against? Why avoid the OP?

I dont have anything against okies so please dont lie about something I never said. My last post in reply to your thread was in regards to the bill which I called a "fringe bill" because as shown in OP, these individuals who pass it dont care about the constitution or whats right or wrong, its a political stunt, this why we never saw these folks utter a damn word against the last administration.

Fringe groups, damn straight ill continue to use that tag. The same groups that parade around fixed news, they continue to spread these partisan conspiracies in a non-objective fashion and then they rap the constitution around them as if they give a damn unless it crosses ideological lines.

Now why ignore the OP whitewave?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I'm not so much ignoring the OP as I am attempting to stop an argument before it starts. You have twice singled out Oklahomans for your vitriolic bile.

I'm certain I put you on ignore after dealing with the total lack of logic coupled with unmitigated hatred from your last Okie bashing thread. Forgive me if I don't respond further; hopefully the ignore button will "take" this time and I won't even know your continuing to have your conniption fit over the "fringe" that are my fellow Okies.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Again, cut the lies about me saying anything regarding hatred of Oklahomans and reply to the OP. Its that simple, reply to the OP or else dont reply at all. Your going off topic and evidently your reluctant to counter what I just posted.

Your sure as heck acted as if you gave a damn about the constitution in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why avoid the very same thing the folks you paraded around are doing? Does your advocation for the constitution cross party lines whitewave? Why are you going off topic? Why not reply to the OP?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is an incredible act of censorship, and should be against the constitution. The is SS showing its teeth. No one invited to speak on their specialty or under their partisan view point needs to demonstrate the contrary view, unless they think that every minister that slams creation down children's throats must stop and give credit to Darwinsism as well.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Yes there will always be somebody a group will disagree with. I hate Limbaugh, glenn and Hannity... well all of fixed news along with some blogs, and it angers me at the information they post that I see as misleading... but it doesnt matter how much lies they spread or hatred towards other beliefs, I would never want them to be censored and oppose any bill, I dont care where its based on "fairness" to be passed... freedom of speech to all... we should all protect it.. even to those we disagree with.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Just read that the free tickets for the event were gone in less than 30 minutes. That goes to show this moron Senator that there are actually people in his state that are interested in listening to what Dawkins has to say.
Is he so afraid that students will suddenly go "to the dark side" and open their minds to other theories?
I find it appalling that he wants to block Dawkins' lecture in a university!!!
For Godsakes! A place of higher learning, of exchange of ideas, of debates....

BTW...I just moved to OK. Too bad that I didn't hear about the lecture before. I would've loved to attend.

Maybe sometime they can invite Diamond to give a lecture at Oral Roberts University....LOL (yeah, like that's going to happen).

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Same guys who have been parading the constitution and the 10th ammendment, not they want to silence a minority in their state with a different view... and yet members here dont seem to care about that fact. Just goes to show that to the rightwing fringe constitutional matters no longer exist when crossing ideological lines.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I'm not so much ignoring the OP as I am attempting to stop an argument before it starts. You have twice singled out Oklahomans for your vitriolic bile.

I'm certain I put you on ignore after dealing with the total lack of logic coupled with unmitigated hatred from your last Okie bashing thread. Forgive me if I don't respond further; hopefully the ignore button will "take" this time and I won't even know your continuing to have your conniption fit over the "fringe" that are my fellow Okies.

I think the point of the OP is to single out HYPOCRISY - not Okies.

OP- all this talk about the constitution from a group with a specific ideology - now this same group is keen to crap on the 1st.... B S

YYAAAAAAAA support the 10th

KILL the 1st

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Was this actual censorship? or a 'statement of condemnation'? The difference being in one they tell the University they cant do it, on the other they wag their finger. (I didn't read the full thing).

No I am not condoning either, but if it is the later, its just an act of stupid people-not a violation of any constitutional aspects. ie: political grandstanding.

new topics

top topics

join