It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You The Victim of An Agent Provocateur, On ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What exactly is an Agent Provocateur you might ask?

Well, if you read the Wikipedia link there, you will find the information to define it, and you decide you're own definition of this based on that. This thread is not about pointing fingers, so do not bother to do that, I'm sure the Moderators will peg you for that, and in essence if ANYONE does do that, you will in essence be doing exactly that, be accused of being an agent provocateur.

I came across the words while reading a book recently, and remembered I had been trying to remember those words for three years. I knew the concept, but could not for the life of me remember the name of it.

I made these two threads, originally, with agent provocateur in mind :

Philsophical Discussion : Freedom of Speech vs Treasonous Actions On ATS...

Philosophical Discussion : What If Next Time You Clicked "Post New Topic" Made You A Terrorist?

Remember, no finger pointing, or you might be what you're pointing at.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It's interesting that you have a star and 3 flags for this topic but no responses. Are people afraid to voice their concerns?
I've encountered people that I believe like to just stir the pot and agitate others but I don't know that I'd go so far as calling them agent provocateurs. Any calls to activism usually meet with a swift, warn, point deductions or even a ban hammer.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I will say, "Yes." There have been a number of times I have "debated" issues with others and it was clear they had an agenda, they were out to ridicule me, mock me, assassinate my character, and were not interested in logic at all.

They would bait and dance, but never offer any concrete thought.

And when I clamped the logic 'round their throat, the would drop out of that discussion. Especially if I speculated on their "provocateur" status.

So... Yes. Yes, I have.

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Great replies, so far.

This is the type of responses I would like to see.

That way it can keep going, without being shut down.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There is much elitist memetic manipulation on the internet, I suspect they have this place infiltrated too. Agents Provacateurs is just one of a host of things they do on the internet so as to keep sheeple sheeple.

I've debated with a few people that have obviously an agenda. But there are others that are just missguided, it's hard to tell. It dosen't really make much difference if one is following truth and confident in the strength of one's opinions. So I just go over all the mud flinging these days.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I would say that I am more humorous than a provocateur. But I do give serious replies now and again.

The vast majority of the few threads that I have started end up nowhere fast. Sometimes the few replies are insightful, other times they can be inane. Sometimes my posts will receive an applause from a mod or FSME that understood what I had to say, or at least liked the way I said it. Even SO thought I said something halfway intelligent once...unless it was a mis-click to delete it. Funny thing is, those posts usually do not get a star nor are referenced later in the thread...

I will be honest though, when I do start a thread, I like replies. No matter what is said. You see, I apply the 10 to 1 rule. I figure for every reply then a minimum of 10 people read what I had to say. Just that for whatever reason the other nine felt no need to reply.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'm glad there are decent replies, so far. We here on ATS, have to remember, that ATS is an international forum, which is why I posted this thread. Many countries have laws against agent provocateurs because they are then seen as being complicit in the crime itteslf, by allowing it to happen any further.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have no doubt that there are APs lurking on ATS. Hell, it's been speculated about for years on here. On both sides, both people suspecting government agents doing the provoking, as well as agents that are anti-government provoking or stirring up mayhem.

I've seen individuals I suspected from both sides. They tend to be more clever and smooth than simple trolls would be. But I don't let it bother me. In the end, on a site such as this, it is to be expected.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I love the replies I've gotten on here so far. Any more interest in this topic?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What if the AP is part of the infrastructure on this site, we are kinda done, remember , they have the censor buttons

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In my experience the mods are actually pretty fair. They pretty much have to be because people can see what they do, for the most part.

But, yes, I'm sure there are certain people on here who have an agenda. There have even been people on here openly posting as members of the US military who were really pushing a party line, but that seems to have died out, now.

What's more annoying, to me, is the extent to which people are desperate to debunk some of the UFO stuff. I'm all for healthy criticism, but some of it is just really unpleasant ad hominem attacks and trolling.

But if someome wants to see what a real disinfo agent looks like, they can check out Fintan Dunne, who's responsible for the site I look at on this thread.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty

What if the AP is part of the infrastructure on this site, we are kinda done, remember , they have the censor buttons

I've never really had issues with ATS Administration.

I was referring instead to people baiting you into something, provoking you.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Hmm I have experienced attempts to hijack a thread and drag it off topic. But I wouldn't go as far as to label the member a Agent provocateur . So my answer to the ops question would be no . On a wider scale we did see with the illegal drug related discussions how ease it is wreck a topic when the powers that be have no backbone what so ever . So ATS has been a victim of some kind of variation of Agent provocateurs .

new topics

top topics

join