It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plurality of The Abrahamic God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is an extraordinarily simple question that will hopefully have some sort of simple answer.

Genesis 1 : 26 - Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

As you have most likely noticed, in this particular verse God refers to himself in the plural three times. This is rather strange since this is within a text of a monotheistic religion. As a matter of fact, there are also a few other incidents in the Old Testament where God refers to himself in the plural.

My question is quite simply: why?

Now before someone jumps up yells, "Its because of the Trinity idiot!!!", I would like to make a simple fact clear to you. This is Genesis. This scripture helped form Jewish dogma for a good couple of thousand years before the Trinity doctrine was even introduced. Still today, Jews deny the Trinity. Consider that little loop hole in monotheism firmly closed.

So can anyone help me with this? If there is an answer, I suspect it would be short and simple. Then again....I've been wrong before.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, your answer is not short and it certainly isn't simple. There are several different views on this topic... Rather than going into a lengthy discussion on this, I will just give you some links and you can search on your own time.

Triad

Sitchin

Article

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Perhaps He's speaking to His angelic host?

Some have said God is using the "royal" we/us.

It's too bad you rule out the trinity, makes little sense to me; but the Old Testament is so enigmatic in places I hesitate to hold the ink to a firm meaning.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Slate

“If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham” (John 8.39).
And St. Paul said: “Know ye therefore that they which are of the faith” – that is, the faith in Christ – “are the children of Abraham” (Gal. 3.7).
The God of Abraham is the God of our Lord Jesus Christ; Abraham himself looked forward to the Coming of Christ in the flesh – “Abraham saw My day and was glad” (John 8.56).

The coming of Christ in the flesh!!!
Now, you said/

Now before someone jumps up yells, "Its because of the Trinity idiot!!!",

The Father
The Son
and the Holy Spirit.

and not once did I ''jump up'' or ''yell''

Also,''As by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous” (Romans 5.19)...Only Christ(called the Second Adam) could give us a second chance at reconciling with God the Father as it were before the fall.
So, we do have the Trinity but not three persons but One God.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
www.biblegateway.com...

Psalm 82
5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

John 14
20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Here is your answer. There is only 1 god, 1 father, but he is within everyone and so all are gods.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by badmedia]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Slate

As you have most likely noticed, in this particular verse God refers to himself in the plural three times. This is rather strange since this is within a text of a monotheistic religion. As a matter of fact, there are also a few other incidents in the Old Testament where God refers to himself in the plural.
Could it be that the One saying, "Let Us. . ." is the one who came up with this idea? If we consider this possibility, we could also think of this One as the mastermind of creative force. Would that one be God? Supposing He is God, what does He look like, in order for man to be made in the image of? We do not know that, exactly because none of us have seen Him.
If we read the New Testament we learn about the "Image Of God" who seems to be personified by Jesus. Before the actual person existed as a flesh and blood human being, he was "The Image" in a profound spiritual way, as being involved in the original creation of the "worlds".
So, by saying "Us" in Genesis, it may be a way of saying there was an "Image Of God" present at creation, and we can still hold back on the concept that there is a purely spiritual unsee-able formless (in the normal material, 3 dimensional aspect) Mastermind God, who is the actual only real true God.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
short and simple answer?

he is talking to jesus.

jesus was the firstborn of all creation (first being god created). john tells us that jesus was was used to create all things. proverbs describes jesus with his father as things were created. isaiah calls jesus. god´s ¨masterworker¨

much like the relationship between architect and builder is god´s relationship to his son. so its not surprising he said let ¨us¨ make man

new topics

top topics

join