It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest photograph of a UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

www.ufoevidence.org...
This photograph depicts a cloud formation over the summit of Mt. Washington in the Winter of 1870 - 1871 - along with an added surprise! One can see a cigar shaped object. This could possibly be the earliest photograph of a UFO. The image is part of an antique stereoview. The description reads "SUMMIT Mt. Washington WINTER 1870-1871 Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1871, by CLOGH & KIMBALL, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington." (UFOArtwork.com)

This item was the subject of bidding at Ebay in 2002, when finally the photo was purchased for $385.00 by Samuel M. Sherman, who was the president of Independent-International Pictures Corp. At the end of the E-bay online auction of March 4, 2002, Independent-International Pictures Corp. president Samuel M. Sherman announced that his company had won at auction the oldest known UFO photograph. After several days of feverish bidding, Sherman won the photo for his company in the last 50 seconds of the auction with a final high bid of $385. The photograph is a winter 1870 stereo (3-D) view of clouds over Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Plainly and sharply visible in the photo is a long cigar-like object. Since this is before known manned flight (with the exception of balloons - which this is not) the object will have to be ruled as a solid Unidentified Flying Object. Structure to this solid object is clearly and sharply seen in some detail as is the reflection of the sun off the object. The stereo view presents two images (for right and left eye) which will be helpful in further analysis of it. Sherman reported that due to the sharpness of the image it will lend itself to further copying and enlargement for study. Sherman also stated that this photograph will not be locked up in some collection, but will be submitted to scientists for detailed analysis and the results made available to the public, which he says wants answers to the UFO mystery.

Any theories what it could be?

[edit: added Required source link and EX tags]
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Any theories what it could be?

A UFO?
Seriously though, it is a very interesting pic and if it is indeed a ship, it would be a good wake-up call for the people that believe that UFO's have only been around since the 40's.

About the pic: I can't help but think it looks like a Swastika right in the middle of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
looks like an added artifact, smudge / smear maybe just a marker pen. I would say hoax or its an artifact of early photography.

whatever the black object isnt "in" the photo. Its on it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think there was an older photograph, taken by an astronomer that showed an large beetle-looking (looks like an wide "X" with a long body in the center of the "X" and short 'X' arms) spacecraft between Earth and the Sun, black and white pic of course, but my mom gave the book away to a library long ago, Wish I'd scanned the pic.

The swastika is very interesting.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It is an old photo from Mt Washington but it's not a flying object. It's a measuring stick in a snowbank. See this post...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TopsyCret

Hmmmmm I know I have seen this picture before years ago ..... wasn't it in the world news as a claim of Noah's Ark being found on mountain Ararat (Turkye)??

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
As the post indicated by IAttackPeople, the poster atc_eh has given a perfectly valid explanation as to what the "cigar shaped Object " was in the clouds......

It was not a cloud at all....just a snow covered cairn, with a wooden ruler placed on it...

There goes the theory....and Mr. Sherman turns out to be a sucker for successfuly bidding of a photo a wooden ruler on some snow covered pile of stones....!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

A Zeppelin?

top topics

join