It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do i make image transparent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Not sure if i should post this in the member art forum or the computer forum, but it seems computer help forum is more appropriate since Im not showcasing any art....

I have two image editors, GIMP and Paint Shop Pro. How do I take an image that has a blue background and turn that blue background into a transparent one?

The image is from a game... The game engine renders that blue color transparent, but I want to extract that image from the game and put it in another picture, but i dont want to cut it out because it would be a sloppy job.

I got the image, now I just need to get rid of all that blue so its just left with the man standing there..

Anyone know how to do this?

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
In paint shop pro use the magic wand tool select the blue and drag away this will leave you with the image you want.

Or when I'm making things transparent on my images I use paint shop pro 8, I get a layer thats not been merged or promote the image to a full layer, I go to the layer toolbar and use the opacity counter then I select a percentage on the counter such as 65% and this will set the opacity level to 65% within the image. Hope that makes sense because it doesn't to me but I tried.

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by Mikomi]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You have to save it as a transparent gif. No other image format uses transparency. It should be an option in the "save as" menu. Let me know if you need any more help with the image you're working on.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oh, and here's a good tutorial about creating transparent gifs in PSP.

www.grafx-design.com...

It's a bit old, but it should still apply.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
GIMP let me down. I cant figure out how to do it in the GIMP. I prefer GIMP over PSP.

But I found a thing called GIF optimizer in PSP and you select which color you want to be transparent.... which is exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

I'll have to check out that link darklanser, hopefully its full of tutorials and stuff?

There is a lot more I want to know such as how to blend two images together.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
You have to save it as a transparent gif. No other image format uses transparency. It should be an option in the "save as" menu. Let me know if you need any more help with the image you're working on.

PNG also supports transparency.

join