It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your neighbor doesn't owe you a dime

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Everywhere in the news, everyone I know, anytime government spending is referred to, people seem to think it's free.

Stop it. Stop referring to the government giving you things or that they owe you something.

Start thinking of what it really is.

Your neighbor, your boss, your friend, your family....these are the people who are paying for everything. Do they owe anything?

WHAT DID THEY TAKE FROM YOU??? Did they take your money? DID THEY TAKE YOUR HOUSE???? DID THEY GIVE YOU A RAW DEAL???

NO THEY DIDN'T!!!

Don't even mention government funds.

Just start calling it "our children's money" or "my friend's or neighbor's money."

Quit fooling yourself. Quit being fooled. It will always be your neighbor's, boss', friends', and family's money that is being spent. You don't even get to really decide how it's spent...the government does it for you.

Try it. Don't call it government spending anymore.

Say what it really is...actually speak the words..

"It's not the government's money...it is everyone else's money."

[edit on 6-3-2009 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well, didn't you ever find the term, Govern, Ment.
A little odd?
I did.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

What ever happened to earning a honest living? What happened to being proud of reaching things on your own? What happened to being proud of working hard?

What happened?

Nothing in life should come free. You should earn it. People want things they have not earned.

I wish people would understand that the more they take, the more they make the problem worse...

Save yourself people!!

You can do it!!!

I believe that you can!!! It may be tough but that is what will make you proud...that is what will make you feel thankful for what you have...that is what will make you feel like you earned everything that you will leave to you children!

Make your children proud!

I know most people out there are good....let's take our lumps and get through this! But let's do it on our own...with our families...friends...people we care for....

We don't need other people's money. We can do this on our own.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I guess sometimes words ring hallow.

I know that people are great in this country.

Why doesn't anyone show it anymore?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

some people are great and some are not

the country full of as many losers as great minds. maybe more.

why should everything be earned...something should come free.

Also I think you take stuff way to seriously.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Because its HARD. Its hard to pay your bills and work everyday. Its hard not to spend as much as you can get your grubby hands. For some its hard not to do hard drugs. Its hard to feed their kids while smoking two packs a day. Its hard not to rape their 14 year old step daughter. Its hard not to cheat on your taxes. Its hard being sick and not having the money to pay for treatment. Its hard to actually deal with the consequences of your actions...

Hence the gov't is trying to make life easier.

Unfortunately, there is no free lunch, by making one guy's life easier you make somebody elses harder. And while you may be so selfish as to think because someone makes 250,000 a year they have lots of money to give away, you could not be farther from the truth. Many of these 'rich' people fight from pay check to pay check as well. But people will still cry about bonuses? If they bothered to research, they would realize these professionals don't make enough money in a year to handle their costs of living. They get bonuses no matter what-- just bigger ones if the company does well. I remember my dad got a Christmas bonus every year (when making a meager salary)...it didn't matter how good the company did or didn't do, or how well he did-- it was an unwritten part of his contract to help him make ends meet.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My rebuttal will be short. I am indeed owed Unemployment Compensation. I was laid off through no fault of my own. I am 38 and have paid into the system for 20 years. I realize that my rather small compensation is paid in nickels and dimes from others. I also realize that I paid many nickels and dimes myself for others.

The beauty of it all is once I begin working, provided I am hired somewhere, I will stop being compensated. While not personally owed an income, I do deserve this bootstrap to keep a roof over my head, electricity on and the meager food it will buy in my belly. Now I will budget a contingency of minor supplies from the balance in the event employment can not be secured.

To boil it all down properly. This is society's chance to keep me in the system. Should it fail to return me, by gainful employment, then I will leave it to its own and spend my labor in the hills providing for myself. The sweat of my brow, while not a commodity, is a far better form of currency anyways.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

some people are great and some are not

Everyone has it in themselves to be great. Some just choose not to take that path. That doesn't make them any less of a person. I am at where I am in life because of my own decisions...not anyone else's.

I don't care to be rich....I don't care to have tons of junk. I just want to be...and be happy....and provide for my family.

What happened to this? You don't have to be "great" in terms of changing the world...just be "great" in your own life.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Of course there are great Americans. They are working hard...raising their families and trying to make their children proud. The thing is, our system has failed them. They lose their jobs, homes, and find themselves at food line hand-outs.

I really am not a bleeding heart liberal, but the SYSTEM has (in part) caused the breakdown that you seem to blame exclusively on your fellow Americans.

We are up against the wall here...part of that is our need to redefine what really matters...how much money you leave to your children when you die is far less signifigant than the life you teach them to live.

(I agree with your thinking about calling it government $, it is yours, mine, theirs, and ours...but that is just semantics.)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Please note in my above statement, this doesn't include all bonuses, just many of the financial sector ones blasted by the Obama administration. About this time they shed tons of jobs too...presumably they got rid of the poor performing staff and rewarded those who do their job? I honestly doubt it-- but the assertion that these people don't deserve some form of compensation is foolish. They work un-Godly hours, and deal with a community so full of itself its not even funny.

I had an instructor who worked for a major bank for years-- and made bank for it. Following 9/11 he quit and became a reverand. He had many reasons, but one he constantly talked about was how hard he has to work to give this appearance of being wealthy. If you didn't, if your kids went to public school, if you didn't have the newest suit, if your watch wasn't a high enough grade of rolex, you would literally get snubbed in business deals. This is real-- and unfortunate. Many of these higher up managers and supposed rich-elite aren't much realer than the rappers on television who rent jewelry for their music videos to appear rich. It's the same thing-- and in fact, they don't have that much money in the bank either.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I absolutely understand what you are saying. I've been on unemployment as well...and odds are...I will be again soon as my job is looking very unstable at the moment.

It's not something to be ashamed of, although I admit, I was ashamed when I was on it. Losing a job is not a fault to most of us right now. It's the product of other's irresponsibility....big business and big government.

Please don't think i'm trying to insult people who have lost their jobs from this crisis...i'm most certainly am not.

I definitely believe that people should get unemployment benefits...that's what we've all been paying taxes for right?

But what about everything else? Your homes..your credit cards?

What happened to self responsibility? What happened to make it through the tough times on your own...and being proud because of it?

I know that we are a proud country and people...it just seems that we aren't showing it anymore.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Torsion girl

I really am not a bleeding heart liberal, but the SYSTEM has (in part) caused the breakdown that you seem to blame exclusively on your fellow Americans.

Please, I don't blame this on fellow Americans. I hope my words are not being misinterpreted. Government has led us to where we are. We've been taught to be dependent on it...instead of ourselves.

I don't blame people. I just think that so many in this people have lost the very principles and ideas that made this country the greatest in the world.

I really don't think it's anyone's fault. This is what we've been taught to believe.

I don't wish harm on anyone....never. I've always been taught that life is what YOU make of it....not what someone else makes it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ragman

What you are saying here goes to the heart of the problem: a focus on materialism. It does nothing to help us as individuals or as society. When did we allow the stigma of wealth to take over? How did we become so label obsessed? A hard working, wise man without a watch has his value diminished, and as true as it is, it is wrong, and a HUGE part of the problem. We can/must take steps to reverse this ultimatly perverse discrimination, and emerge as a culture that rewards performance rather than wealth or style.

We can't ever keep up with the Jones', so lets change what being a Jones means.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ragman

Oops, posted same thing 2x

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Torsion girl]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Nothing in life should come free. You should earn it. People want things they have not earned.

I wish people would understand that the more they take, the more they make the problem worse...

Save yourself people!!

You can do it!!!

I believe that you can!!! It may be tough but that is what will make you proud...that is what will make you feel thankful for what you have...that is what will make you feel like you earned everything that you will leave to you children!

Make your children proud!

I know most people out there are good....let's take our lumps and get through this!

I guess I miss-read this to be somewhat accusotory. Is it really a rally cry to rise up against the false measures of success in this country or what?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well in my circumstance my roof is an apartment. My personal debts are zero, unless there was not enough to cover the electric bill earlier this week.

Currently in my fifth week of non-paid unemployment checks. Sunday will be the sixth week. Yep, have not received a dime as yet...they are "working on it" though.

Yes rent is now past due for this month, but the landlord is flexible as I have kept her informed. It does not eliminate my late fee now. Such is life. But at least there is an understanding of the situation.

But despite it all, I am not overly worried. I have no need to stress about it, because I have a backup plan and while reluctant to enact it due to creature comforts, I can call on it when I feel the time is right to do so.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Torsion girl

First off, I'm a fellow Michigan resident...just noticed that you were as well.

Is it really a rally cry to rise up against the false measures of success in this country or what?

What i'm really meaning to say that big government is not that answer...in fact....we are on the road to ruin because of it.

It's unsustainable. The burden on the average citizen (the taxpayer) to support the government and all of it's agendas and policies has become to great.

We are bankrupting ourselves...but why?

Why do we choose to keep propping up what can no longer be propped up?

We are making our fall harder with each cent re-allocated. Every cent has to be payed with interest...most of which the people posting here will never be able to pay off without somehow scratching by to make a living...it will be left to our children...and grandchildren.

There will soon come a time where China will no longer buy our debt/treasuries. That time is soon. When that happens, expect for our whole country to change. Our way of life is going to change...all because of what we've let our government do and let us think that we need to do the things they advocate.

And for what? For the illusion that we are all entitled to something that really isn't entitled to us? The illusion that we are going to be able to continue the top 2 percent wealth this country has against the rest of the world?

People are holding on to something that they can't keep....and in return will make our struggles much worse.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If you honestly think that this financial disaster is really about someone's credit card or just buying a house they could not afford than you are really ignorant to the reality around you.

Here is a word of advice. Stop listening to right wing propaganda that is funded by those same super filthy rich jerks who are brain washing you into thinking it wasn't their fault but instead it's your neighbor.

Wake up.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Hey brother, can you spare a...ooops wrong thread.

David. I completely agree.
There are infrastructure, and security needs for our country. Generally, I think that's where our tax money should go. Perhaps a few other programs. But Government assistance (read intervention) needs to stop there.

Politicians seem compelled to do "something" when it involves large economic sectors. But business, and the economy in general sometimes needs to complete a cycle.
For example.
There is a housing glut, and it appears our tax money will be used to artificially prop up the prices. The reality is this is corporate welfare for the banking industry (again), due to them holding SO many titles.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

65.5 trillion dollar debt.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join