It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something growing on Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Sorry for the low quality images
Black dots on Earth aye?
Linky

Satellite images of Galma village, Niger, in 1975 (left) and 2003. The black dots represent tree cover. In a 30-year period, tree cover in Galma more than doubled in the village's cultivated upper plateau and increased more than 30-fold in agricultural parkland (Source: Reij 2006).

[edit on 6-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

The top of the image says: Ancient Volcano Defrosting

Wow, global warming is having an effect on Mars now too!

Damn SUV's and Carbon Dioxide

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Since Mar's has effectively a complete greenhouse gas atmosphere... seems the "global warming' crowd have some explaining to do

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Here is what trees look like from a satellite on Earth

Wayne Newtons estate

Forest in England

Mars...

Now of course the gathering hoard of skeptics looming in the back room will start by screaming "its just rocks"

But Arthur C Clark (RIP) said...

"I'm 95% convinced that there's no other conclusion..... I fully agree that this is close to incontrovertible evidence of large present or past 'tree-like' organisms on Mars. I do not believe that these will be explained as 'geological features' or illusions. Only closer-in imaging will decide the matter." - Arthur C. Clarke

But hey what does he know?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm thoroughly convinced that there is vegetation on Mars but I also believe Mars is a very harsh place to live and if there is life it will have adapted a long time ago to fit it's own environment.

Having said that I don't think life is every where on Mars most likely IMO Only in narrow areas that meet very specific needs will we find any form of life.

We just need to land something in those areas instead of landing them in the middle of Mars's Antarctica and Mojave deserts.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The Arthur C Clarke quote only appears on your site and a couple of other 'anomaly' sites. Can you post a link to the quote in it's original context? I've read other Clarke references to 'glass worms' etc and can believe he said it. Nevertheless, have you got an original source?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You gotta understand brother, no matter how much evidence or no matter how much of the truth is right under their noses or in our case the vastly asleep its up to them to accept the truth. Sometimes they rather dream then wake up and live reality but thats ok because the way things are going on our planet we will soon come to realize that dreaming is no better then a virtual reality.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
It's a rock!
no wait swamp gas!
No Venus!

Good find.

Of course the debunkers are all out there sharpening their talons.

If it is life it will most likely be some sort of simple algae or fungus.

post of the day ... its venus hHAHHAHA

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Fri Mar 6 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks. I don't doubt it. I asked if there were any other images covering that area to gain an idea of the terrain beneath the frost. Lower resolution, greater distance, anything to form a clearer picture? The original article says they'll wait until summer for another image. Are there any older images of the area?

The distribution of the dunes seems unusual as it relates to the landscape. Why are they confined to such a defined area? I've next to no knowledge about geological or meteorological conditions on Mars and am curious.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I have to admit, when seen from this view it does look rather organic. The fact that it is confined to specific areas in such a manner is rather striking.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The delimited nature of the formation is very strange indeed. The landscape around them is totally different. It reminds me of a colony of bacteria on a petri dish or as mentioned earlier, mold growing on a dry wall. It would be great to land a rover near an area like this to get a closer look.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I only have one small nitpick about the 'tree pic' *braces for the onslaught I know is coming*

The picture that's colored green yes, looks a LOT like trees. However- past the 'forest' is an incomprehensible jumble of... well... It doesn't make sense, to be honest. My eyes see a jumble, and my brain just wont shut up about it being 'photoshopped'. Back when I did photoshop stuff for people, and I didn't want it to look- well, obvious, I managed to randomize the Clone Stamp tool to the best of my ability (which was a pretty darned good ability, I might add).

I just realized why my eyes and brain are having a problem... Pull up the .gif file, and below the massive trees, try to find a shadow. ANY shadow. I don't mean dark spots- Look how the trees cast a greyish slight shadow to the 'up'... now look below. Nothing. it's a splotchy mess of randomness. I am going to try (probably unsuccessfully) to see if any portions of this picture are an exact match for each other..

Keep in mind, I am doing this from the perspective of someone who can photoshop nearly anything into anything- and when I apply myself- it takes a sharp eye to see where I monkeyed an image. My good stuff, I will go down to pixel levels where each one is a well defined box, and twiddle them around.

I'll say something's being hidden in the below part of the image- but what- I haven't the foggiest. BTW- the Paradoila (sp) crowd can have a little fun trying to spot the upper half of a skull in the pic.I'll be honest. Perfectly honest. Sometimes, I think they fiddle with the images at NASA and PUT 'hidden' crap in. The 'skull' I spotted looks faked in, too- at least to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Of course the debunkers are all out there sharpening their talons.

Let them come.
Believers we must unite. It's WAR

Greetings

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Arthur C Clark (RIP) said... "I'm 95% convinced that there's no other conclusion..... I fully agree that this is close to incontrovertible evidence of large present or past 'tree-like' organisms on Mars. I do not believe that these will be explained as 'geological features' or illusions. Only closer-in imaging will decide the matter." - Arthur C. Clarke

Now, if only we(the general public) could be provided with those ultimately deciding 'closer-in images'.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I only have one small nitpick about the 'tree pic' *braces for the onslaught I know is coming*

The picture that's colored green yes, looks a LOT like trees. However- past the 'forest' is an incomprehensible jumble of... well... It doesn't make sense, to be honest. My eyes see a jumble, and my brain just wont shut up about it being 'photoshopped'. Back when I did photoshop stuff for people, and I didn't want it to look- well, obvious, I managed to randomize the Clone Stamp tool to the best of my ability (which was a pretty darned good ability, I might add).

I just realized why my eyes and brain are having a problem... Pull up the .gif file, and below the massive trees, try to find a shadow. ANY shadow. I don't mean dark spots- Look how the trees cast a greyish slight shadow to the 'up'... now look below. Nothing. it's a splotchy mess of randomness. I am going to try (probably unsuccessfully) to see if any portions of this picture are an exact match for each other..

Keep in mind, I am doing this from the perspective of someone who can photoshop nearly anything into anything- and when I apply myself- it takes a sharp eye to see where I monkeyed an image. My good stuff, I will go down to pixel levels where each one is a well defined box, and twiddle them around.

I'll say something's being hidden in the below part of the image- but what- I haven't the foggiest. BTW- the Paradoila (sp) crowd can have a little fun trying to spot the upper half of a skull in the pic.I'll be honest. Perfectly honest. Sometimes, I think they fiddle with the images at NASA and PUT 'hidden' crap in. The 'skull' I spotted looks faked in, too- at least to me.

I am pretty handy on Photoshop myself and I can say that I don't believe they are photoshopped simply because they came from Google Mars. Unless Google is intentionally putting plant like formations on mars I doubt it was photoshopped.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

I agree that from this perspective it definitely looks organic without a doubt. They are clustering with each other which is a trait of life in general. Perhaps there is a thermal vent or something under them in the soil or otherwise that gives them an extra edge in those particular places. Life on Mars is not that far fetched, in fact it really comes together with my already existing belief that life will spring up wherever it gets a chance. I really hope that this turns out to be something and that they find something in 2019 when we go to Europa. Would give us huge insight into the origins of life.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I didnt mean the trees themselves- I meant that mess BELOW the trees, where it kinda fades into... a mess.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If you compare a close up of the HIRISE image with a colony of mold growing on a petri dish (images below) you will see that the center of the colonies are darker and more dense than the surrounding area. If it looks like a duck...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Here is a portion of the greyscale, mapped, high resolution image (238mb). This area is one of the edges of the spotted region. Click to see the full size (911 x 519)

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The area Malea Patera is part of an impact crater in the Hellas Basin and the tracks in the image are from Mars 'dust devils'.

Malea Patera is a volcanic area and maybe that explains the unusual image. The frost is absent on the dunes and they represent an unusual distribution so maybe they have a higher mineral content that requires a much lower temperature for frost to form.

This morphology is indicative of a surface with not only a high water ice content, but also a more consolidated material that is less susceptible to degradation (relative to the other four volcanoes). We suggest that Malea and Pityusa (and possibly Peneus) Paterae are Martian equivalents to Earth's giant calderas (e.g., Yellowstone, Long Valley) that erupted large volumes of volcanic materials, and that Malea and Pityusa are probably composed of either lava flows or ignimbrites.
Science-Direct' Circum-Hellus Volcanic Province

Ignimbrites are...

Most ignimbrites are silicic, with generally over 65% SiO2. The chemistry of the ignimbrites, like all felsic rocks, and the resultant mineralogy of phenocryst populations within them, is related mostly to the varying contents of sodium, potassium, calcium, the lesser amounts of iron and magnesium.
Ignimbrites Wiki

Like road grit, the dunes could be richer in silica and less likely to freeze than other areas. Volcanic larva might have flowed from right of the image to the left and pooled in the lower area of the Malea Patera?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join