It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something growing on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This picture was recently taken by HIRISE on Mars. It shows dark "stuff" growing on water ice or frost:

They don't know what it is, but it looks almost organic to me.

Full story here: hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Nicolas Flamel]

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Nicolas Flamel]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It's a rock!
no wait swamp gas!
No Venus!

Good find.

Of course the debunkers are all out there sharpening their talons.

If it is life it will most likely be some sort of simple algae or fungus.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
They don't know what it is, but it looks almost organic to me.

Speaking of organic,,

Check out the Trees on Mars

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/008f529d58d37366.png[/atsimg]

The green color has been added to highlight the detail of the "branches". There is no other known geological factor that looks like this.

MSS Image source; M0804688.gif

Credit to thelivingmoon.com,

Cheers!

[edit on 6/3/09 by Majorion]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Could be some form of fungus algie. Temps at the surface during the Martian summers can reach up to 75* F in and around the equator areas. And with Odyssey's discovery of Mars having large masses of frozen water under the surface and MGS's discovery of "seeps" during the warm seasons, it is "logical" and "rational" to see some sort of growth going on.

Yes the debunkers are pouring out their bags-o-scuses for this one..as they always do.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There are many many mysteries and surprises on mars. Such as forests and lakes, and evidence that the frozen lakes in the pictures have probably been tampered with by NASA. Just go to marsanomalyresearch.com and search around the pics.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It looks like an cannabis farm to me ..

Hard to say, I was pretty excited when google earth implemented Google Mars, but I was so disapointed that all images looks generated in a way.
My eyes only believe in optical photos..Does that are not scanned to digital format and splattered over an 3d model.

Cant trust those images, all and nothing can be manupilated.
Btw, why isnt the Moon on the Google thing yet? It is closer and should be simpler to map .

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Looks like some kind of dunes with shadows to me... Look, the shadows are all on the same side....

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It does look organic, however how can we say life should grow on a planet without an atmosphere and a decreased amount of gravity? I don't know nor can any of you.. I need to see a chem analysis of objects before I can jump on this bandwagon.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

The way 'NASA' tried to explain it a while back was that it is 'ice' that is expanding the shrinking as the temps change. However, I tend to go with the idea of them simply being dark shadows being cast from dark rocks. I don't know about dunes though. Dunes would be pretty easy to spot. I would say black rock formations.

Then again, who really knows. I tend to believe that there is organic life on Mars. The tree images I have seen do indeed look like some trees do here on earth from above. Sure, they would be massive but that means only massive on earth. Who's to say what is massive on Mars? Different environment, different gravity. Heck, I seem to recall the fact that there is a mountain on Mars that is many many times larger than the largest mountain here on Earth.

So I will not be surprised when they finally admit that there is flourishing life on Mars.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
It does look organic, however how can we say life should grow on a planet without an atmosphere and a decreased amount of gravity? I don't know nor can any of you..

Umm Mars has an atmosphere!

It's just not like here on Earth. And as far as gravity they have grown plants in space on Skylab and on shuttle missions they were in Zero gravity so a low gravity should not stop plants from growing on Mars.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
kind of looks like mold spores growing. If you have ever seen drywall get wet then watch as the mold starts to grow...it looks just like the photo. I would upload a picture but the new ats media wont let me register to upload pictures. It says registration has been disabled.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It does look organic, however how can we say life should grow on a planet without an atmosphere and a decreased amount of gravity? I don't know nor can any of you.. I need to see a chem analysis of objects before I can jump on this bandwagon.

A planet without an atmosphere? Which planet are we talking about here? I thought we were discussing Mars???

Not trying to attack you are your ignorance here. I just wanted to make sure you do a little more research on Mars. It's a fascinating planet to study. And it indeed does have an atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
kind of looks like mold spores growing. If you have ever seen drywall get wet then watch as the mold starts to grow...it looks just like the photo. I would upload a picture but the new ats media wont let me register to upload pictures. It says registration has been disabled.

It looks like mold to me too. Make sure to check out the HIRISE site linked previously to see more close ups of whatever it is. I am glad that the NASA boys said they don't know what it is, the candor makes it more exciting. There are no large dunes in the area by the way.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It does look organic, however how can we say life should grow on a planet without an atmosphere and a decreased amount of gravity?

The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane

en.wikipedia.org...

Since plants on Earth BREATHE carbon Dioxide and give off oxygen... a CO2 atmosphere would be well suited to plant life

Decreased gravity? That would allow trees to grow bigger

I don't know nor can any of you..

Well speak for yourself but hat is why some of us do research... so we know. Have you read the latest paper on Methane found on Mars?

I need to see a chem analysis of objects before I can jump on this bandwagon.

And are you qualified to read a 'chem analysis'

[edit on 6-3-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Ok its time to add some genius to the equation!

Mars Atmosphere Consists of:

95.32% Carbon Dioxide
2.7% Nitrogen
1.6% Argon
0.13% Oxygen
0.07% Carbon Monoxide
0.03% Water Vapor
Trace neon, krypton, xenon,
ozone, and methane

Surface Pressure is 1-9 millibars, depending on altitude;
average 7 mb

One thing we know about life is that it can spring up anywhere. Take bacteria that live on volcanic vents. Those conditions should be impossible for life, they are not. If mars has bacterial life (which it does we found fossilized bacteria in a martian meteor a few years back) then it has the potential for that bacterial life to have evolved into plant/animal life. Plus we have no idea really what goes on under the surface where you don't have to worry about weather conditions and there is potential for a regulated temperature. Plus who is to say that since life sprang up under these conditions that its biology is not equipped to handle the harsh surface conditions. The primarily CO2 atmosphere provides plenty of breathable air for plant life. Where water is present life is too. Don't forget about Europa. Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, also has the potential for life. It's crust is made up of a layer of ice that occasionally breaks and lets the underlying liquid seep. Under the ice is a vast (comparatively) ocean with a stable temperature. Scientists believe within these conditions not only could Europa support life but it's creatures would not necessarily be single celled organisms. Europa has the conditions needed to promote evolution. Exciting stuff, we are going there in 2019.

Keep an open mind about life on mars, because life always finds a way.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Clearly something is different about the patches where this defrosting has started before any other locations. One possibility is that these are (frost covered) dark sand dunes that heat up more easily than the surrounding terrain. However, we will need to take a new image in the summer time to really know what is happening here.
From OP's source

The image looks like a microscope image of mould or fungus but it's taken from the orbiter. Can any of the ATS image archive maestros find an image that covers the same area? The distribution looks odd. Could it be the remains of an impacter? The more I look at it, the more intriguing it becomes
It has the appearance of being 'outlined'!?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Great stuff... I love reading threads like this...

You guys crack me up busting the balls of the"need a chem analyisys" guy....

Well inteligence should be defined by him, now that would make a good argument. Harumpf

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The spotted area is about 3 miles across. The larger spots are about 500 feet across. Many of the spots have the crescent shape typical of sand dunes on both Mars and Earth.

The sand dune hypothesis is consistent with the image and with things we know about Mars.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage

Now you know there is no way of knowing for sure if they are plants or dunes!

Edit to add.
I had a feeling you were out there lurking!

another Edit to add
I'm guessing Phage is looking for some pictures of Earth to post to compare to the ones on MARS!

[edit on 6-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Looks like some kind of dunes with shadows to me... Look, the shadows are all on the same side....

same side? if they were on different sides, we would have some exciting stuff to talk about !

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join