It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom in the 50 States: Where does your state rank?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

This paper presents the first-ever comprehensive ranking of the American states on their public policies affecting individual freedoms in the economic, social, and personal spheres. We develop and justify our ratings and aggregation procedure on explicitly normative criteria, defining individual freedom as the ability to dispose of one’s own life, liberty, and justly acquired property however one sees fit, so long as one does not coercively infringe on another individual’s ability to do the same.

I'm pleased to say NH ranks no.1 for overall freedom despite shooting down HCR6 this week.

The saddest part of the list is that those ranked as "free" states in the grand scheme are not very "free" in the scope of true liberty.

mercatus.org...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
In any type of report like this, the policies that are chosen to be 'freedom metrics' reveal a political bias.

And despite what the article claims, this is by no means the only 'freedom index' report. Heritage, Pacific Research, and Freedom House all publish similar research.

Watch out for the use of the term 'freedom' in a narrow manner, similar to how 'liberal' trade policies can result in effects contradictory to traditional liberal ideology.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Wow , i am surprised to find that my state is not that high up there.
I really though Montana would be a bit higher.

Table 1 Fiscal Policy Ranking
8th place 0.13
Table II Regulatory Policy Ranking
31 place -0.04
Table III Economic Freedom
21st place 0.096
Table IV Personal Freedom
21st place 0.029
Table V Overall Freedom 19 th place 0.125

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Oklahoma is ranked #25. Disappointing. I guess this points out that people really do live day to day under the illusion of freedom.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, even though Oregon was middle of the road on the list, Oregon IS the most free state on the Pacific. At least according to this study. Definately makes me want to move to New Hampshire, as if I didnt have enough reasons already!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It is interesting to see where the states lie on the list-but forgive me if I get too far off the OP but if you look at the list typically states with high population or very large cities always lie at the bottom; Hence, less "freedom". Again, those on the coasts or in big cities have always been more "blue" in the regardess they value taxation and regulation as a means of control over where they choose to live, without digging into the sociological or religious differences due to geography. Not a stead-fast rule, but those who choose to live in large population areas choose to do so for very different reasons than those who choose to live out in the country or in low population areas. Perhaps the "freedom" you experience in city life is quite different from the "freedom" those who live in the heartland or low population states value and come to expect. When you cram millions of people into one city, or adjoining cities, you tend to give up this "freedom" for other things you value more greatly-as well as the maintenence and and collectivism which helps major metropolitan areas remained organized so they may thrive.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm from that wonderful failed Liberal Democrat state known as California.

Overall score is a 47, out of the individual scores, Personal Freedom was the "best" at a lousy 37.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I also live in that state ruled by idiots calif.

I can hardly wait till i can leave(have to take care of a elderly father) and move back to texas.

new topics

top topics

join