It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are You Doing Today?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Have just ordered a Platypus CleanStream Filter System from Field & Trek, £20.00 in their sale, other outlets selling this for £60 +/-

Rgds

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Whats the breaking-strain on that paracord?

I've been wanting to get a hold of a fair amount of the stuff to rig up a climbing thingummy using carabiners to fashion a block-and-tackle to lift myself and gear up to a tree canopy or up in the rafters of a building

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

As the name suggests 550 Paracord should hold up to 550 lbs(US). Well, that's what the paperwork said. Shipping was PDQ as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

yes wile the para cord is 550lbs. i wouldnt use it for your application..the couple of things that are down falls for your ap are..

thin,as in hard to get a hand hold onto it..slippage,and basicly hurts if trying to wrap it around your hand to hold onto..

any chafing will take away from its weight holding properties..

i would look into a 3/8ths mountain climbing rope..

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I worked over my INCH bag yesterday. My wife bought a new purse, so today i'm running around looking for goodies for her to put in it. By goodies I mean things she wont mind carrying like a first aid kit. Just a small one, but I work them over a bit. A travel sewing kit. Travel packs of aspirin etc. Little does she know, but by the time i'm done she will have a pretty darn good EDC. She is comming along but not quite all the way on board yet.

Spiritowl

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
My wife bought a new purse, so today i'm running around looking for goodies for her to put in it.

Any self respecting male knows that the inside of a lady's purse/handbag obeys its own set of spatial laws. I'm certain the designs for the TARDIS was based on one.

As weird as it sounds women are actually more predisposed to having an EDC than most men. Just ask to look inside one... if you dare!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

Originally posted by Spiritowl
My wife bought a new purse, so today i'm running around looking for goodies for her to put in it.

Any self respecting male knows that the inside of a lady's purse/handbag obeys its own set of spatial laws. I'm certain the designs for the TARDIS was based on one.

As weird as it sounds women are actually more predisposed to having an EDC than most men. Just ask to look inside one... if you dare!

I hear ya Nirgal. Although I may be wrong in doing what I do, I think I am getting brownie points for doing it. "Look honey I saw this tiny emergency sewing kit today and thought it would fit in your new purse" "Wow it has a suture in it, isn't that a good idea?"

Spiritowl

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yesterday I worked on the green house after I got home from work. Today I went to the rifle range and tested a cartridge conversion insert for my .308, uses .32 ACP. On the way home I stopped at the local gun shop and did my part to get the economy working. We had a tree that was wind damaged and I cut that down and that will be fire wood for next year.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just finished reading "The Death of Grass" (aka No Blade of Grass) by John Christopher.

An excellent read for anyone wishing to get an insight into possible SitX survival. It stands the test of time pretty well and is a real thought provoker.

DO NOT read the introduction if you have the reprint (major spoilers).

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
reply to post by Nirgal

Whats the breaking-strain on that paracord?

I've been wanting to get a hold of a fair amount of the stuff to rig up a climbing thingummy using carabiners to fashion a block-and-tackle to lift myself and gear up to a tree canopy or up in the rafters of a building

Something I dawned on today was that you could always use rappeling rope or mountaineers rope and use a couple of prussiks to hoist yourself up..www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hi everyone! I went on a serious stock up trip tonight and came home, then cleaned up/organized the pantry so I could just stand back with "supreme satisfaction".

I have a ways to go, but figure we have enough fir 3-6 months, excluding the day-to-day items.

My freezer and pantry are full, and I put things down in the basement in double zipped bags.

It is good feeling but I know I need to make several more trips as money allows. Next, medicinal, and personal hygiene items, and more water. It is a good night; time for a bubble bath and a glass(or two!
) of wine to make it end perfectly!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
My AK47 bayonet with wire-cutter sheath arrived yesterday.

Army surplus though, needs sharpening. I guess that's what i'll be doing today.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I picked up some more Sambukol, which allegedley gives a good protection against viral/flu symptoms.

I ordered my .22 barrel today and have been totally consumed in getting my work shop put together. I'm starting a small side business of building pistol grips out of exotic woods.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Got a couple more things for the inch today.

Most importantly I went out and brought some P2 masks... more than a just in case of swine flu... also can be of assistance against NBC, dust generated in earthquakes, bushfire situations, and of course the post apocolyptic corpses in the street scenario's.

Also purchased some more vitimin C tablets... oh yeah, that was for the flu!

Happy prepping!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I finished up a project today. My biggest issue is space, and the lack thereof. I am starting a side business of making pistol grips out of exotic woods, so my efforts of late have been geared towards building the shop.

Anyway, I built a 2ft by 2ft by 6ft tall shelf system which is on wheels. I'll have everything set in plastic containers...I'll be as organized as I've ever been. So today I finished this.

As I'm filling containers I start running across stuff I'd completely forgot about. It was pretty cool, almost like another Christmas.

I have been buying as much .22 ammo as I can find in the stores...I don't think you can have too much .22. This could very well be a trading/bartering item when everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Glad to see this thread still attracting people. I've gotten some really good ideas from you guys/gals.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well it seems that SHTF is coming on myself and family. You see, I am in the car business....nuff said.

So I am preparing for the eventual end of my job.

I do work on the side making pistol grips out of exotic woods and have just finished up my shop to do this on a larger scale. It's alot of work making the grips, and them marketing them.

I bought my domain name today so I can build a website.

If things go smoothly I (hopefully, prayerfully) can transition out of the car business and into my own business...before the real shtf.

I've been stocking up on other foods and am glad for spring and the upcoming summer so I can can foods.

CX

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just grabbed myself a bargain on an ebay auction, a pair of Lowe GTX combat boots (waterproof), used twice, for £22!

I tried some a while back, but at £140 new they were not an option. They will give me a bit more comfort when i'm out and about in the woods over longer distances.

CX.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Today i am realizing I have not prepared well. Our power went out this morning. Recently moved to Florida because of work. I felt kind of panicky this morning without the power...back up in the north we had Natural Gas as well as electricity, but here it ALL electric. All the things I have read on ATS came crashing thru my mind when the power was gone and I was very angry at myself for not preparing better. What bothered me the most was if something BIG happens and we have no more electricity I am really going to be upset if I can not contact family out of state. So if that Big thing happens...how do I contact family 10 states away? Any ideas.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
So if that Big thing happens...how do I contact family 10 states away? Any ideas.

You won't...that's the short answer. Now what you might want to do it to establish a comm link to your family BEFORE shtf. With no power you'd have no chance of using the web, or phones.

Unless you had some sort of ham radio unit with a back up genny, then you're pretty much sunk.

Now would be a good time to have a heart to heart talk with your family regarding your feelings about shtf and your plans.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I spent yesterday in my shop working on developing my pistol grip business. It is such a learning experience, which is a good thing...it keeps my mind off of the economy/north korea/israel etc.

I started my 10/22 project this morning. I am putting a bull barrel on the rifle and today I chopped off the first 2" of stock and will replace that with 3" of Gabon Ebony. So today I routed the ebony and tonight I'll pin and epoxy that in place. I'm hoping top have this rifle driving tacks in a week or so. This will give me a spot on rifle for the 'small critters.'

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join