It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are You Doing Today?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by Northern Raider

I was going to U2U this but on reflection decided the question might be useful to a similarly informed person.

Re: Backflushing the water filter:

Excuse my ignorance would this have something to do with attaching a hose to the usual "output" end and force water through, thus forcing out debris trapped in the carbon filter?

I'm guessing it's similar to my berkey. Am I barking up the wrong tree and if I'm not how long would you advise (depending on usage and water quality of course) between each "flush"?

AAARGH I screwed up that should have said Back WASHED or just washed the filter, My Bad very sorry, with the Berkys ceramic filters if the flow rate declines you can simply remove them then wash the candle ( thats what its called a ceramic filter candle ?? ) with clean water and a tooth brush. Simply giving the surface of the candle a rise under clean water and a very light brushing will pretty quickly restore its filtering capacity. Very sorry about that. natually if its the candle with the silver coating inside that will still dteriate in time but the particle filtration will still work.
NR
Man I can be dumb sometimes

www.avonsoft.com...

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, though it is not today...

This past weekend I went on the wild goose chase to find additional ammo for my rifles. And it turned up fruitless. I couldn't even find a brick of .22 to save my life!

I also got a new batch of beer going (Irish Red Ale), and waterproofed my BOB. I invited a buddy of mine over to help with the brewing and we talked about the current state of affairs in the country, we went over different contengincy plans, and went over our equipment/stockpile lists.

Most importantly: I made sure to take time to relax, spend time with my friends and family, and have fun. A lot of people with our way of thinking get caught up in preparing and forget to take some time out for themselves, and keep ties with thier loved ones close.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thank you kind sir, that is starting to make much more sense.

Unfortunately it has prompted another question, are your filters white or black? Mine are the black variety. I'm trying to investigate any differences (between here, job-hunting and eating).

About to get Babel fish to translate a Dutch site...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DropInABucket
Well, though it is not today...

This past weekend I went on the wild goose chase to find additional ammo for my rifles. And it turned up fruitless. I couldn't even find a brick of .22 to save my life!

Not even a brick of .22 ammo? Must be bad where you are at. I picked up 150 rounds of 8mm on stripper clips yesterday. Also bought out every primer for small rifle I could find, 7000 or so I think.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Thank you kind sir, that is starting to make much more sense.

Unfortunately it has prompted another question, are your filters white or black? Mine are the black variety. I'm trying to investigate any differences (between here, job-hunting and eating).

About to get Babel fish to translate a Dutch site...

Mine are white super cers, the ones with silver in them, the black uns have carbon in them I thionk, Bare wioth me while i try and find out.

Doulton Water Filter candles are available in five different grades
Sterasyl® Ceramic

At the heart of every Doulton water filter candle is a 'Sterasyl' silver impregnated ceramic microfilter. Fairey Industrial Ceramics is the worlds leading manufacturer of ceramic materials with closely controlled pore sizes. This expertise gives Doulton candles the highly consistent and controlled pore structure necessary to remove a wide range of water borne contaminants over the life of the filter. The incorporation of silver locked within the ceramic structure, gives each candle enhanced bacteriostatic properties. Silver inhibits the growth of bacteria giving the candles self sterilising properties and removes the need for regular boiling. By incorportaing activated carbon in the form of a fine coating, granular carbon or carbon block, the sterasyl ceramic can also be produced in Super Sterasyl, Carbosyl, and Supercarb grades which combine the advantages of ceramic and carbon filtration within a single filter element. At the top end of the product range the Ultracarb candle has an additional ion exchange media which reduces Lead and other harmful heavy metals.
I think you may find this chart useful

www.avonsoft.com...

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Yep. I have the Dutch site in question here.

If you click on the left side, for "Filters for Berkey System" you'll see the filters. I'm guessing yours would be similar to the second photo. The prices are below in chocolate pirate-money, *ahem*, Euros.

Going on price alone the black ones would seem "better" but I'm no Nederlander and this will have to wait until another day, when I am more refreshed to do the leg work.

[edit: cos I is dumb.]

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
packing up my BOB gonna make a run in the next few days. Just gonna see if I can carry my BOB and EDC through the woods and to my spot and back. thn next week me and a buddy are gonn be making a run into the woods and test some of our goodies for a night or 2

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Lately I have received some promotiona credit card offers of 0% and then some for 5.99% for 2 years.

Any thoughts about purchasing survival supplies with credit?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I tried out some fire starter logs I have had sitting for so long the baggy packaging accually started to open on the ends..I made a fire using small bits about an inch by an inch to see what whould happen..Well in about 5 minutes my wifes throwing the burgers on..

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jmurman
Lately I have received some promotiona credit card offers of 0% and then some for 5.99% for 2 years.

It's called bait. Don't touch it. Read the fine print. 0% today, 28% tomorrow when you forget to pay that bill that didn't show up last month (because the CC company conveniently forgot to send it).

Any thoughts about purchasing survival supplies with credit?

Credit is a suckers game. If you can't afford to pay cash, why pay more using plastic? That's called financial stupidity. Of course, on the other hand, if the world is going to end relatively soon, who cares, ha, take advantage of it.
Or, why not hedge your bet and buy your survival supplies on credit, and buy some stocks on credit. If society goes belly up, you win, and if not and the economy and stock market recovers quickly, you still win.

Seriously though, don't get involved with consumer credit, no matter how tempting their bait looks, don't let them sucker you in. Credit is like putting a noose around your neck. Why so many people love going into debt just to get that new iToy or whatever is beyond comprehension. Don't do it man. I laugh at all these people that buried themselves under thousands and thousands of dollars of debt.

And besides, you don't need to spend a lot to be prepared to some extent. A couple thousand dollars can buy enough emergency supplies to last at least a few months, likely longer, if spent wisely.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments on the credit card issues.

Today I did some work on a .22 pistol. I wrecked the sight that I was trying to modify, and had to reorder another unit.

Because of this I needed to add some metal working tools to my bench. So I added a set of drills, taps and dies along with a handheld torque wrench. Now I have the ability to do some basic threading and tapping.

I also ordered some epoxy to glas-bed my larger rifle. I'm trying to get all of my weapons to the point of where I don't have to think about them and then can move on to other things.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I picked up a couple boxes of .22 CB's today.

The CB has no powder, just a primer and is very quiet. Used in a rifle, it sounds like a pellet rifle.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I also ordered some epoxy to glas-bed my larger rifle. I'm trying to get all of my weapons to the point of where I don't have to think about them and then can move on to other things.

great move to glass bed ..I have beded 2 of my special rifles I kept over from in the service..Major difference when taking repeated shots,when the barrel walks a bit while it heats up..What kind of rifle ya doin?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Came off lucky today, I was going to buy some stainless steel mess tins for the BOB and BOV, they were real nice pieces of polished stainless steel of around a litre each in capacity. the Mountaineering shop only wanted about £8.99 each for them. But for some reason I held off.
Anyhoo on the way home I popped into the pet supply shop to get some eukanuba for the mutt when I spotted twin sets of stainless steel one litre dog bowls at £2.99 for the pair ?. I'm hard pushed to differenciate between both types so I bought the dog bowls.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The CB has no powder, just a primer and is very quiet. Used in a rifle, it sounds like a pellet rifle.

I would seriously caution you from using these things to save your life or kill with.

Beaver trapping a few years back, I couldnt find any regular .22 shells with me, only a handful of CB's. Caught a 60 lb beaver, that was still alive, and not real happy with me. Shot him point blank in the head 3 times. He was just less happy by then. Finally found a real shell and dispatched him quickly.

Not the way I like to take animals mind you.

Try out your CB's on some hard and soft targets before you are in a situation you are depending on them. I for one will never own any of them again to avoid mistakes like the above mentioned.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues

great move to glass bed ..I have beded 2 of my special rifles I kept over from in the service..Major difference when taking repeated shots,when the barrel walks a bit while it heats up..What kind of rifle ya doin?

I'm doing two rifles, one is my Rem 700 in .06 and the other will be my 10/22 when I put in a new barrel. The 10/22 doesn't need it per se, but with a bull barrel and only one point of contact between the stock and the action, I'll do this to tighten up that connection.

The .06 with my reloading and the glas bed should give me tight groups.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

I would seriously caution you from using these things to save your life or kill with.

Beaver trapping a few years back, I couldnt find any regular .22 shells with me, only a handful of CB's. Caught a 60 lb beaver, that was still alive, and not real happy with me. Shot him point blank in the head 3 times. He was just less happy by then. Finally found a real shell and dispatched him quickly.

Not the way I like to take animals mind you.

Try out your CB's on some hard and soft targets before you are in a situation you are depending on them. I for one will never own any of them again to avoid mistakes like the above mentioned.

I will only use the CB's for neighborhood hunting of squirrel and at close range.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I will only use the CB's for neighborhood hunting of squirrel and at close range.

That I could see working. Another great way to kill off squirrels can be found here

Ive used these types of squirel traps for years, mainly to protect property and birdfeeders. Works very well, cheap, easy, and works when you are doing something else. Also works for weasels. Larger style can take martin I've heard.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What did I do for survival today? Well, I enquired about scholarships with my guidance counsellor at school today to see which local scholarships I would qualify for for aide in my post secondary schooling this coming fall. It was exciting. Without money, I can't attend University, and without University, I'm nothing more than a complaining, blue-collar worker who hates my job and thinks the Government is out to get me. So yea, University is required for survival for me.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Let's see, today I got up and got my family off to school and work. I then got myself ready and taught art today to some really fun elementary children. I had a great 3 hours.

I then popped over and had lunch with my elementary child.

I also spent a bit of time "hanging out" with my dog.

I then got some more of my organic plants going in our greenhouse while getting others ready for planting outside. The next step is getting my "corn and pole bean" area ready to go as those in the greenhouse will be large enough for outside soon.

I also spent some time watering as we already have very dry ground. We've been in a droubt for a long time.

I am now "puttering" around on the internet. Though I should really be poking through all of my canning items and adding to a list things that need replacing before canning time. I figure I have another two months before I get a large enough production though, so it can wait a little longer.

I would guess that my next task will be hanging out with my children, cooking dinner, cleaning house.

Oh, now I am sleepy after thinking about what I have done today. LOL

Anyway, this past Christmas I set my family up with "packs" for all their "survival items" and added a few new items to their packs. As one of my children is still pretty young, I chose pouches that look kind of like fanny packs, but bigger. They can be added to almost any backpack, on top, bottom or on the side and they are waterproof.

We have also spent time going through every item with our children and talking about, and practicing the use of the items in the packs. Even down to the tiny pills for making water drinkable. I know those are not the best choice for clean water, but better than nothing. My family does a lot of wilderness hiking/camping and I feel MUCH better knowing that if my children get lost, they have some survival items which increases their chances of surviving.

We have already gone out several times this year, and I am pleased that my children are already automatically grabbing their pouches and wearing them even for relatively "short" hikes.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join