It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Broadcasters seek ban on local satellite radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The National Association of Broadcasters has filed a lawsuit to prevent competition from satellite radio services stating that they are slowly trying to replace local radio outlets.

Both XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. now offer traffic and weather for several cities on its national service, but are barred from using ground-based transmitters that extend service into hard-to-reach areas to air programming aimed specifically at a local market.

"This foray into local content is directly contrary to ... repeated and express promises that satellite radio service would be limited to delivering national programming to serve the unserved and underserved," according to the petition filed this week and obtained by Reuters.

NAB said the two companies may also be developing satellite radios that can receive advertisements, news and other content targeting a local market by using Global Positioning Satellite (GPS).

The broadcasters' group demanded that the Federal Communications Commission, which licenses satellite services, explicitly ban their rivals from using any technology to offer content in one area that is different from another location.

Broadcasters seek ban on local satellite radio

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
aww, poor clear channel. Maybe if their radio stations didnt suck so much..

I don't see how anyone can listen to the crap they put on the radio anymore.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
aww, poor clear channel. Maybe if their radio stations didnt suck so much..

I don't see how anyone can listen to the crap they put on the radio anymore.

I agree. It seems the bastards are afraid of a little competition.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I will never pay a subscprition fee to listen to the radio. XM and sirius can rot. Yeah, clear channel is crappy, but at least I dont have to pay them for something that is free.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
I will never pay a subscprition fee to listen to the radio. XM and sirius can rot. Yeah, clear channel is crappy, but at least I dont have to pay them for something that is free.

I wouldnt mind paying for XMB since its only like $9.99 a month and it has a greater variety of content for you to choose from.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Heck yeah... when the units are a little cheaper Im definately in! Better than the 10-20 songs each radio station plays each day.... The music channels on digital cable are pretty good too!

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calculon386
Heck yeah... when the units are a little cheaper Im definately in! Better than the 10-20 songs each radio station plays each day.... The music channels on digital cable are pretty good too!

I think its a great service. I plan on getting it sometime in the near future.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You know Howard Stern has got to love this!

He is thinking about going to XM.

I really do not like howard stern but when he got away with the same crap for some 20 years and now because he has changed his political views he is being told to shut up or else.

I hope XM puts Clear Channel out of bizz!

I have one and its great, hours of what I want to listen to and no crap or commercials, whats wrong with that?

You can look at this any way you want, but I wonder if Howard Stern claiming he was going to XM if fired from radio had anything to do with this legal action.

Premptive strike?...hmmm

Gazz

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
College radio is the only way to go when you are sick of the common crap on the radio. When I hear something I dont like I just change stations. Now there is a company that wants me to pay 10 dollars a month to change stations. Thats bull. Clear channel or not. Most of the time main stream radio sucks and I just change to college radio. If that sucks I throw in a tape or cd.

Instead of paying for radio why dont you not throw a good system in your car and freely roam the waves until you find something that you like.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The price of freedom of speech is $9.99 a month!!!

You wont have any right to hear any music as soon as they (mega media corps with government complacency)
push ALL programs into a pay to see/hear mode...
so the feds can either sell off formally public frequencies...then the only "chanels" for things to be seen/heard of will be once privatly owned, and hence able to censor whatever they want as a private institution....

blame the government for allowing this conglomeration of the media that will allow this situatuion to arrise...

blame the corporations for taking up the cause of profits over free speech...

blame yourselves for doing nothing to alert the gov and these corporations that your not amused by them selling out your rights to open communications (free speech)

Why are these companies suing satalite companies, because those companies are nationally run, not locally done....your local voice will be homogenized if say Fearchannel can own about every outlet ina given area, then only allow what they aprove of for you to hear....and they'll do it from another city and claim their your local station.

vote with youtr wallet, dont listen to mega-media corp programming, tell anyone that advertizes with those companies your not going to use their productsas long as they do business with these conglomerates...give $$$ to public local TV....not the local network affiliates, im talking PBS!!!

The next argument will be, "well PBS doenst make any $$ and it gets soo few viewers/listeners, that we should just sell off their frequencies to a private company because no one will miss PBS....true they dont have the greatest shows (radio or tv) but

Thats supposedly ther outlet for public communications, all others are corp owned and regu;lated by the suits in charge. they only care about your $$$ in their pockets, not the programs the pitch.

new topics

top topics

join