It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG!!! What just happened in Melbourne ??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It seems there was some seismic activity in AustraliaEmergency and Disaster Map

Chadwickus, maybe you just have bad sense of touch, because the map shows two isolated events in Australia both 4.5+

Hey, I'm pretty sure someone predicted an earthquake here on ATS

Check out this thread: 194 Pilot Whales

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Is it always this cloudy? I cannot see a single star, yet according to satellite images there's no cloud cover over us.

And is it the moon sitting behind the clouds that is creating an eerie bright orange glow on one corner of the sky?

Strange colored auras around the moon are too an indication of earthquakes sometimes.

If a big one happens and have nowhere to hide, if you happen to have wooden room doors and are easily installed/uninstalled take one of its sockets place yourself inside your bath tab if you have one and pull the door over the opening. That would provide a temporary breathing space just in case.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
OMFG!!! Dude someone predicted this quake was going to happen, there was a post somewhere here on ATS that a whole crap load of dolphins and whales beached themselves down there, they also said that this type of mass beaching usually only happens right before and EQ. WOW, kind of proves that theory I guess.

My heart goes out to all that have lost friends, family and loved ones. Hang in there Aussies.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Normally I would not even worry about as small a happening as this, however, with that being said, I would have a concern that it was not broadcast on the local news, if that is true. Normally the local news would be all over some thing like this, but if not, it may have been some thing of a man made something. I don't really do not know because I live I the U.S. I know here it would be broadcast no matter what it was. Media here seem to love to relay bad news to the public...sabre11004...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Im not sure if someone posted this already, but has anyone seen a possible connection to what's been going on in California in the threadhere

They are all used to earthquakes there and know what they feel like. However, recently there have been "non-earthquakes" reported by hundreds, which rattle the buildings and freak out animals without any serious ground shaking. In Australia, these same events may be percieved as earthquakes if your not sure what they're like. (I'm from NZ, and we get plenty over this side of the ditch, with many major fault lines, and active volcanic and geothermal areas.)

Explanations as to what these "non-earthquakes" could be are varied. From top secret aircraft, HAARP, scalar weaponry to plain old sonic booms(unlikely). If these events are related, this will prove to be very interesting. IMO, the whales and dolphins beaching themselves most probably have something to do with this as well.

Who's doing this and why? Or is it something natural?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I thought the 5.1 quake might be the one predicted in the other thread! But I realized that it can't be as it was nowhere near the reported beachings... the other side of Australia, in fact!

But then I saw this! earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 4.7!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.1
Date-Time Friday, March 06, 2009 at 01:35:57 UTC
Friday, March 06, 2009 at 10:35:57 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 16.183°S, 121.213°E
Depth 6.8 km (4.2 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Distances 225 km (140 miles) NNW of Broome, Western Australia, Australia
535 km (335 miles) NNE of Port Hedland, Western Aust., Australia
1830 km (1130 miles) NNE of PERTH, Western Australia, Australia
1935 km (1200 miles) SE of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 14.1 km (8.8 miles); depth +/- 38.8 km (24.1 miles)
Parameters NST= 13, Nph= 13, Dmin=516.7 km, Rmss=0.57 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2009dwai

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I have been following this thread, but am a little confused...Have there been 2 or 3 quakes in the last 24-30 hours? Truly hope everyone is doing ok...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
How come they don't know the epicenter? Is it because they don't have sufficient collecting data in Aus?

Duty seismologist at Geoscience Australia Phil Cummins says the tremor measured 4.6 but the epicentre has not yet been pinpointed.

sky news

Last night, right after it hit the Geoscience Australia website wasn't online either ...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
My first reaction was to also jump onto ATS.

Let it be known that just days before this earthquake, many many posters noted the high chance of an earthquake happening after all those whales and dolphins got beached. A lot of people denied the connection, but there we go - it's true.

The dog knew about it before it happened to. It's still barking? That's creepy, perhaps more to come.

Well Well Well, it Does seem to be true. I was going to post something like this my self, but you beat me to it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time

* Friday, March 06, 2009 at 09:55:38 UTC
* Friday, March 06, 2009 at 08:55:38 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 38.377°S, 145.714°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region NEAR THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF AUSTRALIA
Distances 90 km (55 miles) SE of MELBOURNE, Victoria, Australia

120 km (75 miles) ESE of Geelong, Victoria, Australia
180 km (110 miles) WSW of Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia
525 km (325 miles) NNW of HOBART, Tasmania, Australia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15.7 km (9.8 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 9, Nph= 9, Dmin=448.6 km, Rmss=1.09 sec, Gp=137°,
M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2009dwau

It must have been this one. Now, in that beached whale thread I had predicted something closer to a Mag 7 quake to hit anywhere along a line extending from NZ westward to the western edge of Australia. This one fits the bill, let's hope I was wrong on magnitude and this was it. Be on the alert just in case it is a precursor.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic

Did anyone in the Melbourne City area feel that shaking ??? it was like a earthquake, our whole building shook like crazy with a weird rumbling sound in the distance ???

weeeird man that was freaky!!!

Just a couple of days ago there was a person that had a thread up about 194 whales and dolphins or something beached by Australia. Its kind of funny because there were a few people saying that Australia don't get earthquakes and this has to have some other meaning. Perhaps the animals know more than we give them credit for.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It's called an Earthquake. Its been happening for a very long time now

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It is strange to me that they are both the same magnitude, on different areas of the country. To me that sounds like something that gives off the same amount of energy, be it a blast, or something man made. Something could have been triggered twice, with identical force. Or we could go the other way...and say this...These are both 4.7's, which would make me think that both of these are foreshocks to a larger event forthcoming in the very near future, probably over 6.0 at least. We'll see.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SpadeofAces

I thought one was 5.1 and the other was 4.6?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think 5 is a thousand times the strength of a 4, and 6 a thousand times the strength of a 5, and so on. If that's the case they may not be close in magnitude. However the two could be related, as in one triggering the other, as that has been speculated as happening with EQ's around the world, but whether or not it's the case with AUs' plates I'm not sure.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
These are the birth pangs spoken of in the dreaded and hated christian bible. As most of you know, birth pangs come and go. They start off mild with a lot of time between them and they get stronger and closer together. These do not just apply to earthquakes. Other natural disasters, wars, weird human behavior, famine, diseases, and insect infestations will all increase in frequency and intensity. There will be a rapture of true believers just before all hell breaks loose on earth. I feel sorry for those who will be left behind.

Here is a show for you to enjoy:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6/3/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I had put this forward in the other thread related but apparently it was disregarded...
These animals seem to use magnetic ley-lines as a navigational tool. Birds do it, sharks do it and I assume that whales do it also. In fact, I imagine that most migratory animals do..

So, what would cause a bunch of whales to beach themselves? I don't buy the sonar theory, although I'm sure it doesn't help, because this has happened throughout history. Long before sonar.
Instead, I figure it could very well be a sudden fluctuation in the magnetic grid of the planet. Since these animals rely on this for navigation, when it fluctuates suddenly, they sometimes turn inward towards the shore and get stuck.

If that much is true (of course these are admittedly undereducated opinions) then it wouldn't necessarily mean that an earthquake is imminent. However, it could that some of the conditions required are met.

There in fact seems to be a coorelation between the two events. I wonder if fluctuations in the magnetic field could be one of the factors responsible for the sudden shift of the tectonic plates? Sounds implausibe because it is a subtle energy. However, if the plates are about to move anyhow, it could help with a little nudge. Ergo, when we see mass beachings, EQs can occur thereafter in the immediate region. (even on the other side of Australia, perhaps)....

I don't know, but the OP of the other thread hit the nail on the head with the predictions. Here is the thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
THIS LINK provides EXCELLENT information on the seismicity of Australia. According to the first chart, the last large earthquake reported was in August of 1994, with 1989, and 1988 having a 5.6 and a 6.7. I would say Australia is long overdue for a 5.4+ by about 15 years.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No cause for alarm!!!! Yeah Right!!!!

Here's what I am seeing on the seis site.......strange how it knocked it offline!!!!

www.seis.utah.edu...

This could very well be the start of something big.
Grow up folks, we are gonna have Pompeii's and Vesuvius's in our lifetime. It is part of what this planet does.

If you are in a high rise building that starts shaking, don't hang up the phone, drop the phone and run to the nearest exit and to heck with what anyone else thinks.

Remember, we learned from 911 that something as insignificant as 2 planes can bring down 3 highrises.....Earthquakes, EMP's or whatever it might is probably much more powerful...

rusty

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
So, what would cause a bunch of whales to beach themselves?

Tension inside the earth emits sound waves(harmonics) which become stonger just before the plates finally give way to the pressure. this confuses the whales and dolphins.

Sounds reasonable to me anyway, but what do I know? Mona and I solve crimes, not whale beachings.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join