It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Increase in Fireballs and Asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone is talking about this or not, and I don't have much time on my hands... in fact I don't think I will be able to get much work done on this thread as I was just browsing ATS before bed. I got a dentist to get up for at 6am. I intend to post to this thread recent stories I have noticed around the web about fireball sitings, anyone is welcome to join in.

But first, what I've noticed and my thoughts on the matter.

Late last year I remember reading 2 separate stories of fireballs, one that was caught on camera in what I recall as being in Alberta Canada, the other Poland/Norway something like that. Didn't think much of it.

Then my brother in law tells me of his sighting. He was in Las Vegas NV in late January, (I'll get the specific date once I talk to him) and he told me about a light he saw while he was down there just before dusk. It was quick, but the stars were not out yet, and from his description, it sparked and flamed and followed pretty much the same descriptions of the other reported fireballs I read about. It flew from aprox NE to SW and while not as spectacular as the other reports, it was more than just a shooting star.

Since then I have seen more fireball reports around the web. Sometimes I think maybe it's just because there is more video and internet out there. But is that truly the case? I'm no astrologist.

I have also over head at least more than once, in separate occasions, NASA reacting to fireballs in the sky as of late just space junk left over by the recent collision of satellites over Siberia (they always get the cool light shows huh)

This was the thread that got me thinking about this...
Very Strange "non-earthquake" Rattles So. Cal.

Now my thoughts....

When I tune into the world, both main-stream and underground, the more I desire to tune it out and enjoy the day as if to remind myself that I am grateful to have as many days as I may in my life, and to try not to let the realities of the world bring my spirits down. Though this my personal reaction to the truth at large. Something in this world is wrong, terribly.

With the 2012 hysteria, the desire for full disclosure, the fear of a new world order, the nightmare of worldwide genocide, and bizarre sun activity, one can't help but wonder, could this have something to do with any of it? Or, could it be happenstance in the form of a natural solar bump in the road with no significance whatsoever? Or, as noted above, the increase in web and video around the world? In my opinion.. my experience, the signs you're not looking for, are the signs you don't see, and the chance to look again, can cost a great deal.

Either way, I'm going to start keeping track.

11/21/08 - Meteor lights up skies over Western Canada

More to come, please, if you know of more post them and I will add to this list. Thank you, and your thoughts are appreciated.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hi Thames,

I've been fascinated by the subject of meteors for more than a decade now, ever since I was fortunate enough to witness Leonid fireballs, some brighter than a full moon, almost raining down for the best part of a long November night.

It changed my whole outlook on life, and gave me purpose. Since 1998 I've been studying and observing meteors, thanks to the interweb there is a whole community of both amateur and professionals, with individuals all over the world, that correspond with each other and share data/observations.

Over the years I've come to realize that meteors and even fireballs (defined as a meteor that is at least as bright as the planet Venus, about -4mag.) are actually quite common. You just have to spend time observing the sky, and after a little while, depending on your luck you will see them.

It's not uncommon, that when someone first becomes aware of how much activity there is over our heads all the time, that they assume that this is somehow not normal, but that is simply because they were not aware that this had been going on in the past. Much activity goes unreported, even now since 70% of our Earth's surface is ocean, and much of the remaining 30% is sparsely inhabited. They also occur during daylight, when it's difficult for anyone to see them.

That is part of the reason, but the other is that, as you suggested, is that there are more cameras/CCTV that are capturing these events now, and this is the main reason we now hear about them in the news. Without footage, big fireball events tend to not be news worthy.

There are basically two main sources of fireballs:

Comets leave trails of dust/meteoroids in their wake as they orbit the sun. When earth on it's own orbit around the sun, intersects these trails, we get meteor showers (and fireballs) just like the Leonids I saw in 98 (and other years).

Then we have asteroids/asteroidal material. Most of this comes from what we call the asteroid belt which is a region located roughly between Mars and Jupiter. Occassionally asteroids collide, and material is sent on orbits towards us. This is thought to be the source for most of the afternoon/evening fireballs that we have been seeing in the news of late such as the Edmonton/Alberta fireball.

There is more info on Annual and diurnal variations in fireball rates here.

Apart from the variations in rates mentioned above, there is also a certain amount of randomness involved. Every year, our orbit takes us/earth through space that we have not been through before, and brings us potentially into contact with objects that we have not encountered before.

So we get occasional bursts in activity as well as lulls, busy years and quiet years. This is nature, and it's organic and irregular in many ways, although we are starting to work out the more subtle patterns and cycles involved. It is a science that is only just starting to come of age, and we are still learning about it.

I hope that sets your (and other peoples) minds at rest.

Here are links to previous threads that have discussed meteor activity - you'll probably find one or two more if you uses my name as a search term, but I think I found most of them:

Possible Satellite Debris Falling Across The Region
Satellite Debris Video?
UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!
Texans report fireball in sky, sonic booms
Another so called Bolid!
Proof of UFO coverup from Texas on CNN
Breaking News: Two Satellites Collide In Orbit
Space crash called "catastrophic," lots of debris
Fireball video perplexes experts
Possible UFO crash in Saudi Arabia - Millions Of Witnesses!!
Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada
Big blue light over sweden
UFO over Tok Alaska
Nice video footage of Meteor over Croatia
Green meteor/fireball sighting?
Heads up - it's a Taurid Swarm year!
Utah meteor?
Green Meteorite (??) spotted North of Toronto
Russian News: Camera Recorded Strange UFO at Night
Clay tablet sheds new light on ancient asteroid "impact" in Köfels
Fireball Over Polk County
Green Fireball UFO crash in Oregon last night
Bright Meteor 10/9/08 seen over Chicago. Did anyone see it?
Fireball in sky, 1st November
Fireball lights up night sky in Switzerland March 01/08
Mysterious Fireball Prompts Dozens Of 911 Calls
Big fireball SW USA - 18th Jan
Mysterious "Fireball" seen over 4 US states Today
Monday, Jan. 19th at 16:28 UT, a huge fireball was seen in western Norway
Reports of ANOTHER very large fireball
A few meters planetoid will hit Earth
Major Bolide Forecast Tonight; No Damage Expected
A Shooting Star?
meteor 10-9-08
Bolide Footage From Melbourne
weird green ball with tail
Possible UFO Crash In Finland (Video)
Unusual Observation

General meteor related threads:
green shooting stars
NASA Begins Hunt for New Meteor Showers
Seen a swift/very swift moving light (colored or white) in the sky?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thank you for the insight C.H.U.D. and the backlog, I'll be scurrying through these links for sure.

You suggest as I have somewhat speculated that this may all just be a natural random occurrence of events, but is it me, or has there been an influx of reports on these over the last 3 months? Hope I'm not crazy haha, but surely someone else has noticed.

Anywho, as stated I will go through what you have provided and add what I can to a time line of fireball sightings, I appreciate your help! Thank you

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
You're welcome Thames,

It's definitely been a busy past few months for such events, but I've seen it just as busy (if not more so before) in previous years. The only factor that is new here is that these events are now being picked up by sites like this and the media.

This time of year is also the peak time for large fireballs (see the links), and that in itself is bound to distort the perspective of those finding out about this for the first time.

By the way, here is another link you may find useful, but be aware that without statistical adjustments to take in other factors (that we touched on above) the data may be misleading (shows an increase in rates over the years):
www.amsmeteors.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

You suggest as I have somewhat speculated that this may all just be a natural random occurrence of events, but is it me, or has there been an influx of reports on these over the last 3 months? Hope I'm not crazy haha, but surely someone else has noticed.

Don't worry, others- many others- have noticed also.
And I can attest that many others too feel that the activity is not something random.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Glad I did a search on this - was just going to make a thread on this, but then it also occurred to me that cameras/reporting is what has increased, not the actual activity, itself.

Thanks for all the work, there! Stars..

new topics

top topics

join