It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are believers looked down upon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It seems to have always been this way... if you believe aliens most people would call you crazy and tell you to get mental help!

What's with the attitude? Why not just accept that maybe in a galaxy with a billion planets we might not be alone?

Are most people so closed minded that to them humans are the only race in the universe?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

A lie is far easier to believe than the truth. Take the US government for example. Need I say more.

In actuality, I have been asking myself this same question for a while.
People just don't want to hear it.
APATHY has consumed most of us. APATHY is the deadliest of all diseases. Yes it is a disease. Highly contagious as well.

I have found in most cases, you have to get someone interested in it first, and make them ask you about it. Once they ask, it's not open season. Give them something to pique their interest, and divulge your sources one at a time. If it means not telling them certain things then so be it. Just make sure that you lead them subtly to the questions they should ask.

You can't go screaming from the roof of your car while it's doing 90 down the parkway, ALIENS EXIST!! I HAVE PROOF!!!

I has to be a bit more subtle.

Check out some techniques for network marketing and apply it to everyday life.

[edit on 5/3/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well if you let that bothers you then you got a problem,

See, I believe in aliens and UFOs and I will be darn if I let any body's comment to make me feel bad about my believes.

I am confident enough with my own personal experiences to know that I am right.

But you will not find me in this forum telling too many stories either, but I will read what others write about the subject.

Have faith in yourself.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yes they are. I saw one last year and have been ridiculed by family and friends ever since, and believe me I have some pretty freaky friends. I did not ask to see it but it happened. It has changed my outlook forever.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm open minded on the topic.

Of course I believe in aliens, rationality makes me believe with so much out there, there's more then just me and you.

Do I believe they've visited this tiny place over here in our neck of the woods, well that's beyond me. They might have maybe not, but I do not look crazily at anyone who says they have. For all I know there is evidence for it, and that's more then what many can ask.

Even the sheer number of ufo reports speak something!

As for me personally I still believe they haven't visited us. But I'm only 90% sure on this.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Have them listen to this astronaut:

Edgar Mitchell blows lid on Nasa! Aliens are real!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
There's 3 reasons for why people don't face and believe the truth:

1)They are religious

2)They are dis-info agents

3)They are afraid of stating their own opinions

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
It seems to have always been this way... if you believe aliens most people would call you crazy and tell you to get mental help!

What's with the attitude? Why not just accept that maybe in a galaxy with a billion planets we might not be alone?

Are most people so closed minded that to them humans are the only race in the universe?

It's not that they can't or don't want to believe, it's the RAMIFICATIONS of that belief that scare the piss out of everyone.

If that belief is in aliens or Jesus, it doesn't matter. It's the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
A lot of people deep down are afraid of the unknown. They don't want to know, I agree with the poster above me.

MW31

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

It seems to have always been this way... if you believe aliens most people would call you crazy and tell you to get mental help! What's with the attitude? Why not just accept that maybe in a galaxy with a billion planets we might not be alone?

If the reaction you've been receiving is one of ridicule, then I doubt you've fully detailed your beliefs in your OP. I've noticed that most reasonable people tend to believe that there may be intelligent life in the Universe. Nearly everyone agrees that some form of life probably exists elsewhere, otherwise programs like SETI wouldn't be tolerated.

So what are you saying to people which would cause them to say your are crazy and should seek mental help? Beliefs are typically not looked down upon so long as they're not shoved in other people's faces and are well reasoned and substantiated with evidence.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321

1)They are religious

Those obviously aren't the only reasons. People also have different beliefs on what the truth is and that doesn't necessarily equate to religion. Truth is very amorphous and most times, is more synonymous with 'belief'. It's got nothing to do with "getting with the program".

Most hardcore 'believers' and conspiracy theorists often spout terms such as "dis-info agent", "afraid", "fearful" and "closed minded" which are generalized comments with no rationale whatsoever.

What people need to remember is that there may be a huge disparity between their 'truth' and reality. Believers, skeptics and debunkers alike, need to be equally open to the possibility that they may be wrong.

IRM

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbylove321

Not quite. I want to believe but haven't seen any proof or evidence that I find overwhelming. I am willing to believe in all sorts of things--but I need proof. I would however never discount someones beliefs especially if they explained why it is they feel this way. In this case the mis information agents and the nut cases that just want publicity have jaded the public to a certain extent.

I am always open to proof and feel free to message me here if you have something that might interest me. Time doesn't permit me the long hours of research online that I would like to invest.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321

1)They are religious

4) They are simply that ignorant and oblivious to whats really out there

just had to add that one.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I don't think all people who believe in different not so usual things are crazy.
But the people who run around saying things like "I have proof I just talked to an alien in my head they are real and are invading my brain" etc, clearly have some instability issues.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Many reasons, but I think aliens dehumanize us, they make us "lesser". They attack our ego, that's why people don't believe. They aren't angels or Gods that help us...they're just wispy things that if real means humans are not special things--then what are we?? There's a tinge of Lovecraftian horror behind it all. Fear of the unknown and fear of being unimportant.

And even more it doesn't "help" believing in them. It doesn't get you into heaven or make people say "what a good person they must be". No magic is given to a believer, no riches, no powers. The belief is non-beneficial to society so society doesn't care about it.

The whole monster under the bed, fairies, ghosts, and aliens have all been lumped together. We watch movies of aliens killing people for "enjoyment" because they are so imaginary to most people. Change aliens to radical Muslims killing people and it's not so fun. Watch someone be raped and you would be repulsed, but if an alien does it--ha ha. Society has been warped that much. Sure there's no "proof" of aliens, but we all know they are there--maybe now, maybe in 200 years...but we know we'll run into them.

Society has fooled itself into not believing in aliens. We fool ourselves with religion in the opposite way. Some charismatic people in power tell us what's "believable", the media reinforces it, the mob mentality herds us all down the same path, and we follow for personal gain.

The good news is that those beliefs are crumbling on both ends.

[edit on 3/6/09 by Atomic]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Atomic

excellent post atomic. Well the way i see it,

"If We Are Alone in the Universe,
Then It Is an Awful Waste of Space"

— Carl Sagan

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic
Many reasons, but I think aliens dehumanize us, they make us "lesser". They attack our ego, that's why people don't believe.

No they don't! There's no gun to your head forcing you to feel in such ways. Even with a gun to your head, you still have a choice and therein lays the answer.

You have free will. This is the way you choose to feel! No one's make you do or feel anything! Sorry old chap, that's just a classic victim complex!

IRM

[edit on 6/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You know freedom goes both ways right?

I'm a 'believer' but I've got no problem with someone that doesn't.

Just because they don't believe in aliens doesn't make them a disinfo agent or 'ignorant' etc etc.

Even with my beliefs, I admit there is no concrete proof of Aliens. There is proof that the UFO phenomenon exists, but it's source is far from proven.

What is with humans and wanting to jam beliefs down everyone else's throats?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Well said!

A star for you fooffstarr

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

What is with humans and wanting to jam beliefs down everyone else's throats?

You know it goes both ways right?

2nd line.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join