It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival, and survival Courses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hi,

Not all of us here have the benefits of living in a rural area, Or having grown up around either farm life or wilderness.

Many probably have no practical gun experience (hunting in the wild as opposed to shooting at a range)

Some may not have had even the most rudimentary experience in any of these areas of survival.

So this is my question, What if any are good survival/wilderness courses, Does any one have exp with these? can anyone give examples of a good course from personal experience?

Myself I have minimum handgun training, I also have several first aid and survival books downloaded (working through reading them) into a pda I have with a solar charger.

Beyond that I am sure many of us are willing to learn but lacking practical skills, SO any recommendations on this? (short of joining the armed service to get survival skills)

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I am looking at www.boss-inc.com... right now but dont see anything on hunting or handgun/rifle use.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
heres an example of a course

Subtopic / Lessons
Sunday

PM - Orientation, Transport to and establish camp
Camp Hygiene & Knife Safety
Monday
AM - Priorities of Survival
PM - Thermodynamics: Dressing appropriately for the wilderness, Sleeping warmly, Campsite selection
Tuesday

AM - Thermodynamics: External heat sources
PM - Friction Fires: Bow drill, hand drill, fire-plough, fire saw.
Wednesday
AM - Friction Fires: Review & more learning.
PM - Shelter: Single person shelters: tarps, lean-to's, lodges
Thursday
AM - Water: Finding & Purifying, Conserving & Containing
PM - Food: Edible & Medicinal plants
Friday

AM - Hunting: Trapping, Tracking & Other Options
PM - Tools:: Rabbitsticks, Rocks, & Slings
Saturday
AM - Lithics: Turning rocks into knives
PM - Review of Week 1
Week Two

The second week of Primitive Living Skills will begin with a Solo Phase. Placed in your own solo site, you will put your skills to the test and enjoy some solitude.

Once Solo ends students return to the basecamp and build upon the skills covered during Week One. The second week will culminate in a Group Expedition Phase. Students will use the tools, gear and foods prepared to travel to a specific destination.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I would suggest watching the # out of Survivorman. He shows you all of that. Watch it and then practice what he showed you.

new topics

top topics

join