It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 Brits Could Die In Summer Heatwave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

10,000 BRITS COULD DIE IN SUMMER HEATWAVE

www.dailystar.co.uk

A NATIONAL emergency plan has been drawn up to help the country cope with a deadly summer heatwave.

The Government is said to be “very concerned” that as many as 10,000 lives will be lost as temperatures soar to 40C across the country.

Sun stroke, dehydration, air pollution and wildfires all contribute to a rise in deaths during sizzling summers.

The highest temperature measured in the UK was 38.5C, recorded in Kent on August 10, 2003. And it could become a regular occurrence in the near future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps Title

[edit on Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:45:46 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Whey finally some decent weather coming to the UK at last, no need to go abroad this year we can all save money and have a good summer at home, and if your worried about global warming don't be! Science proves it's completely natural, Scientists also say global warming may end within 20 years! don't believe me! do some research!
So if you still think carbon tax is the answer then good luck because science proves the heat is the cause of the rise in Co2, and not the other way round.

www.dailystar.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by paulcottrell84

It's a very interesting article. I don't believe the global warming myths, either, and think it is a natural cycle.

On a side note, won't it be odd to see all those pasty brits sporting tans?

Be careful, use sunscreen! I'm half British and half German! The sun does not like me!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
wooowooo!!! stoke may get some sunshine!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Maybe the rise in demand for sunscreen and back-yard swimming-pools will pull us out of this recession.

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

A national emergency plan? For the heat that they expect?
How perfectly convenient.
Not buying it.
Well - not unless they are planning to step up the already in action -
weather modification efforts.
Ah - there it is.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This confuses me, how do they know what the temperatures will be in the summer. Anytime I check the weather I can't get a forcast for more than five days.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Na, me neither, and since when have we had wildfires in the UK? first I've heard of it. I bet if you put a tree in an oven at 40c for a week it wouldn't burst into flames, Id even bet on it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I remember seeing something about a heat wave in Europe that killed a bunch of old people, Something to do with Metal roof and the design of older buildings.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
(reply to cazzy2211)

I'm not 100% sure on that, Id love to know myself I think they use data gathered that's put into a model based program on a Supercomputer to Predict Heat Waves, I know they were right about the 2003 heatwave that killed 35,000 people across Europe though, so who knows.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by paulcottrell84]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
so i guess this means the global worming brigades will be preparing for parties to start calibrating the coming heat waves . Maybe they'll fly Ale Gore and celebrities from all over the planet . Perhaps Bono will give speeches and say stuff .

[edit on 5-3-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Im from the uk, and im starting to think now the phrase "heat wave" is another word for "summer".

Every year, the sun pops out, gets around may time, "HEAT WAVE"!

NO! ITS A SEASON CALLED SUMMER!!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

lol and who said it wasn't a natural cycle

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I can see two cycles here.

Climate change and tax scam.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
apparently there's quite a few cycles that affect climate, maybe the combination of em all put together creates rare occurrences like this.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I live in Texas, A.K.A. Hotter than Hades. We regularly get there 102 -105. We manage, can't you? Don't they sell air conditioning in the U.K.?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
I live in Texas, A.K.A. Hotter than Hades. We regularly get there 102 -105. We manage, can't you? Don't they sell air conditioning in the U.K.?

yea, but if it aint raining people get scared

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I'd need to read the article again but i'm sure it didn't say for definate it would be this summer although that is what I presumed when I read it. So given summer isn't that far away then your super computer theory could well be right.

I watched a programme on TV the other night about the recent snow we had and a 'weather expert' came out with the most bizzare prediction that we can expect to have these incidents every 20 years on average, thats not to say it won't happen this year again or even next year.... but it could also be 20 years or even 40 years time ...

Of course her answer should have be 'I don't know' but given that this 'expert' can't tell us if we will have another snowfall like that in the next few weeks, my guess is it would be the same for a heatwave.

Granted I don't know much about the subject, only what the experts tell us

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I live in the Calif desert and in the summer it gets to 115-120 degrees in the shade. we live in it just fine.

In fact i have fibromyalgia and just love when it get above 100 and i get some relief from the cool weather and the pain i get from the cold.

A lot of older people move to the southwest deserts just for the heat.
its good for a lot of medical conditions.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cazzy2211

Well spotted cazzy, you're right it doesn't say this summer, but it really did give me that impression when I saw it in the newspaper a couple of days ago.

I was really looking forward to a good summer this year. lol

Oh well guess we'll just have to wait then

p.s The supercomputer thing isn't my theory, I read it in a similar article to this one bellow. Cant find the exact one because there's quite a few.

HERE

[edit on 6-3-2009 by paulcottrell84]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join