It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator: Eligibility is up to the voters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

wnd.com

OBAMA WATCH CENTRAL

Republican Martinez implies constitutional requirement for presidency can be bypassed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 04, 2009
10:15 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla.

A U.S. senator has suggested that voters have made Barack Obama eligible to occupy the Oval Office, whether or not he meets the constitutional mandate of being a "natural born" citizen.

The comments from Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., came in an e-mail sent to a constituent shortly after the election, which just now was forwarded to WND.

The constituent had asked about Martinez's perspective on the issue on which WND and others have reported: claims made by dozens of lawsuits around the country that Obama might not meet the constitutional qualification for various reasons.

"Presidential candidates are vetted by voters at least twice – first in the primary elections and again in the general election. President-Elect Obama won the Democratic Party's nomination after one of the most fiercely contested presidential primaries in American history," Martinez responded.

"And, he has now been duly elected by the majority of voters in the United States. Throughout both the primary and general election, concerns about Mr. Obama's birthplace were raised. The voters have made clear their view that Mr. Obama meets the qualifications to hold the office of president," he wrote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-3-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow. SO they just took the constitution and threw it out the window because a majority of people say he is good enough to be the president?
I dont know how to feel to this. I knew that there would be in no way to get Obama out of his office, but I didnt think that they would use "the constitution doesnt matter" approach.
This is exactly why America is in trouble, we cant even hold onto our core values anymore. A military member tries to question the president, and he gets silenced. Berg tried to take him to court, but they through it out.

Is there anyone left out there that cares about protecting the constitution? Or is the Constitution like "The Pirates Codebook"..Is the constitution just "guidlines" in their eyes just like the movie The Pirates of The Caribean?

Whatever it is, it disgusts me.

wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Martinez is an ass. And WND is not a credible source. They probably made this up. Although I wouldn't put it past "let em all in" Martinez to make an assanine statement as such.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Even though I believe Obama was born in Hawaii and qualifies as a natural born citizen, I don't agree with this Senator's perspective (assuming this a real story).

He is talking about eligibility in a 'vetted' sense, it seems to me. He's approach appears to be "the voters knew about Obama and his background, since the majority approved him, they considered him eligible".

Eligibility as it's understood in the Constitution is not a matter of popularity or approval, but a requirement of one's citizenship status.

One thing we should be aware, however, is that the Constitution doesn't specify how that eligibility is to be determined. Since it doesn't, it's understood that its interpretation and enforcement is up to the legislature (Congress).

But there are no Amendments, or US statutes that establish how eligibility is determined.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by converge]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok, so how would we determine if someone is a US naturl born citizen? How would we check to see if it was any normal Joe on the street? Would any of them have as much chance to stay here as much as Obama has?
No, he has lawyers who all day long, just think of ways to keep him out of trouble by bending whatever law they see fit. Why cant he just hand over the documents? whats so hard about that?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Ok, so how would we determine if someone is a US naturl born citizen?

Superficially speaking, if a person was born in the United States.

How would we check to see if it was any normal Joe on the street?

In the United States, a prima facie evidence of that would be a birth certificate or a legal equivalent of that depending on each State's legislation.

Would any of them have as much chance to stay here as much as Obama has?

Stay here? Please explain.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I would like to change your "good enough" to the best man for the job at this particular point in time.

However, as I always stated on this issue. I'm pretty sure that if need be these documents could be forged and records could be changed. If this was an issue then the McCain campaign or even the Clinton campaign would have brought something up. Seriously don't you think if they had the win card in their hands they would have laid it out?

For all those who say that everybody was in on it the story still doesn't make since. Like I said if everybody was in on it then it would be that much easier to have the document forged so people could see some paperwork.

So basically we can conclude that Obama has shown the right people the documents needed. The reason being because he doesn't even think this is a big enough issue to make something up.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
when I say stay here I meant To stay in the position they are in.
If it was anybody else, they wouldnt have let them into office without showing the proper paperwork.

"Superficially speaking, if a person was born in the United States. "
he hasnt proved that, obviously.

"In the United States, a prima facie evidence of that would be a birth certificate or a legal equivalent of that depending on each State's legislation. "

He hasnt shown it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Obviously, a lot of people dont think that he has shown what is needed to hold the office. And the fact that he is spending so much money on lawyers to keep this hidden just proves it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So lets try n keep this thread on track please. Do you people think that he constitution is void in this matter? That its really up to the people?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

If it was anybody else, they wouldnt have let them into office without showing the proper paperwork.

Nowhere it is defined what "proper paperwork" exactly is, but obviously one understands that this must be a federally legal recognized document.

"In the United States, a prima facie evidence of that would be a birth certificate or a legal equivalent of that depending on each State's legislation."
He hasnt shown it.

Well, are you saying Obama's Certification of Live Birth isn't a federally legal recognized document? What is your basis?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

No I do not, and I dont think many other people dont think that it is either.

We have already discussed the BC issue over and over here on ATS.
This thread isnt about that though, so lets keep this thread on point please.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

No I do not, and I dont think many other people dont think that it is either.

It doesn't matter what you or other people think, what's important is what legally matters.

I thought you were going to substantiate your claim on why a certified document from the State of Hawaii would not be federally recognized, but I understand now that it wasn't even a fair request on my part.

This thread isnt about that though, so lets keep this thread on point please.

As you wish.

I dont know how to feel to this. I knew that there would be in no way to get Obama out of his office, but I didnt think that they would use "the constitution doesnt matter" approach.

They? Who are 'they'? This is a Republican Senator. Or is this Republican Senator also part of that big conspiracy to put a non-natural born citizen in Office?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I dont care if its a republican senator? What makes you think that I give a damn what side of the political fence they are on ? Democrat or republican, doesnt matter to me, as long as they obide by the constitution, and they arent. IT IS about the law, its not about what the people say, and thats my whole point.Just because you elected a guy into the office, doesnt mean that he isable to keep that office just because you say he can.
Do you think he should stay in office just because he was voted in by the people? Answer that for me.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Wow. SO they just took the constitution and threw it out the window because a majority of people say he is good enough to be the president?

In a true republic, the majority would..no...could not infringe on an individuals rights. Everything is backwards.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Do you think he should stay in office just because he was voted in by the people? Answer that for me.

I already answered that, on my first post. Perhaps you didn't see it

Originally posted by converge
Even though I believe Obama was born in Hawaii and qualifies as a natural born citizen, I don't agree with this Senator's perspective (assuming this a real story).

He is talking about eligibility in a 'vetted' sense, it seems to me. He's approach appears to be "the voters knew about Obama and his background, since the majority approved him, they considered him eligible".

Eligibility as it's understood in the Constitution is not a matter of popularity or approval, but a requirement of one's citizenship status.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ok thank you. Thats all I needed to hear.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

One senators comments do not describe a larger They, nor does it presuppose an Event in which They would have had a chance to make any Decision.

top topics

join