It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Won't Let the Kids Pray! Bummer :(

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Chris, I actually found the original proclamation here...pretty neat/historic to OT... www.earlyamerica.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Religion has had its go in schools. Now it is over.... deal with it. Jesus is coming soon anyway right? So just leave it alone, and pray at home.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

That is cool, thank you, OldThinker. I am a firm believer in the separation of Church and State but don't argue against federal holidays for Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter - in fact I think if we need more federal holidays but let's call them by their original pagan names and recognize the original purposes of these seasonally timed and appropriate days of rest, gratitude and reflection.... or start including more religions on our observances. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

When he coming? I'll bring the popcorn

OT made a funny!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by flyindevil

fly, that's some great stuff...you should write a book

OT

If only I had the patience, the easy decision-making skills, and creativity to do such a thing

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey

2) Because atheists can't pray, considering they don't believe in a god.

I have to disagree with that assertion since I have known a number of atheists who do pray for and to humanity and the goodness in people. Didn't there used to be secular humanists in the USA?

I shouldn't have said "can't".
I wonder how these people's minds work, do they believe in good thoughts=good things happening?
Could you please elaborate on this?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It should be renamed / redesigned to be national positive mental attitude day, or day of thankfulness, get people to pray subtly without realizing it that's what i say.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

It's not that atheists aren't letting people pray, it's that prayer should not be supported by the government.
I'm not against anyone praying, but I am against public prayer in schools, courthouses, etc.
Why? Because religion should be a private matter and not one which the government has any say or part in.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
It should be renamed / redesigned to be national positive mental attitude day, or day of thankfulness, get people to pray subtly without realizing it that's what i say.

noone should ever be tricked into praying, shouldnt have to be ashamed of it. as for renameing it, am i the only one whos sick of all the political correctness going on?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunchbox1979

Originally posted by gYvMessanger

noone should ever be tricked into praying, shouldnt have to be ashamed of it. as for renameing it, am i the only one whos sick of all the political correctness going on?

I was thinking the same thing. Political correctness is for, well, wimps. Like when they want to change "Christmas" into "holidays". It's very obviously "Christmas time", as they put up things we have associated with Christmas. Having a different name doesn't change the actual meaning, just what people think of it, like "cursing" does.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

agreed, people need to toughen up and quit expecting everyone to bend over bacwards to try and not ruin someones warm fuzzy day, and start just saying what they mean.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
1) Should this be a day continue to endorsed by the Government?
2) Why would an atheist protest this?
3) Are you ok with the day of prayer? Why?
4) Are you against the Day of Prayer? Why?

1. I don't think the government should endorse it. I agree with Thomas Jefferson. "Fasting and prayer are religious exercises; the enjoining them an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the time for these exercises, and the objects proper for them, according to their own particular tenets; and right can never be safer than in their hands, where the Constitution has deposited it."

2. Probably because they don't like the idea of their children being put in a religious situation (praying to gods) at a government-supported, public school. I can't speak for all atheists, but that would concern me if I had kids in school.

My parents didn't allow me to wear pants as a child. They didn't allow a lot of things based on their religious beliefs. Not allowing kids to pray for this one day is no big deal. The kids are going to be ok without it in school.
They can pray with their parents when they get home.

3. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I'm not affected, Aside from the government sponsoring it. They can't seem to understand that all religions should be represented in cases like this, so if I understand it, most schools will practice Christian prayers and leave it at that. All students of Jewish, Muslim and other faiths will be left out.

I'm not affected by it, so I don't personally care, but on principal, I disagree with government sponsor of religion. Call me crazy.

4. I think that's already been answered.

History of Prayer Day

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
point is, if people want to take a certain day and pray, let em pray, people were out celebrating darwins birthday and im sure there were fundies all upset of it but that didnt stop anyone, people need to get of there high horse and mind there own buisness when it comes to religion, belive in what you want, dont push it on me, and dont expect the gov. to pay for it.
and if you dont want to pray....... DONT, and quit worrying about those who do, quit feeling like you have to be accepted or fit in, god i remember when it was cool to be unique, when did we all become conformists all of a sudden?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
why do these Atheist even care , I means it not like you're being forced to prey

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have no issue with the people who want to do this organizing it, but I don't think the government should endorse it or anyone should be required to participate. Officially, I don't think religion belongs in schools. Nothing wrong with students voluntarily praying together, etc, but it's not something they should be pressured to do by authority figures.

Originally posted by flyindevil
I was thinking the same thing. Political correctness is for, well, wimps. Like when they want to change "Christmas" into "holidays". It's very obviously "Christmas time", as they put up things we have associated with Christmas. Having a different name doesn't change the actual meaning, just what people think of it, like "cursing" does.

Honestly, I think a lot of people who say "holidays" refer to Christmas + New Year's. Sometimes it's political correctness, but there is another holiday around that time celebrated by a lot of the same people who celebrate Christmas.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox

It's not that atheists aren't letting people pray, it's that prayer should not be supported by the government.
I'm not against anyone praying, but I am against public prayer in schools, courthouses, etc.
Why? Because religion should be a private matter and not one which the government has any say or part in.

Valid points....TO SOME DEGREE...but, what's you gonna do with all those founding father quotes eched in granite in DC? Bulldoze um?

OT

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Nice answers there BH!

OT

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viscount
I have no issue with the people who want to do this organizing it, but I don't think the government should endorse it or anyone should be required to participate. Officially, I don't think religion belongs in schools. Nothing wrong with students voluntarily praying together, etc, but it's not something they should be pressured to do by authority figures.

Thx! What bout a moment of silence? Do what you want then?
OT

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You call it prayer, I call it wishful thinking.

Might as well call it "National Silence Day" or something, just to continue the line of thought of separation of church and state.

I get the feeling that many atheists do it to speak out against Christianity. Whatever, still within their rights.

Just ask for a moment of silence instead, and it will all be fixed.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Not a bad thought...I get your point...

OT

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just jumping in here, though it's quite likely I'll be flamed... lions den and all.

I'm an Atheist.
No, I'm not against your day of prayer, quite frankly, I don't care if you have it or not.

However, I can explain a few things in regards to the few Atheists out there who are opposed to this.

These Atheists (the aggressive ones) are typically those who have had the unfortunate luck of having to constantly deal with what we commonly refer to as "bible thumpers". For the moderate religious, you probably get ticked off by the bible thumpers yourself, you may have alternate names for them.

You know, these are the kind of guys who started the crusades, believing everyone else is a lower life form... and basically making a point of getting into your life and trying to command you on every aspect of it.
They simply don't hear "No" or "Get lost".

These are the guys that consider everything outside their religion to be the "enemy" (that's evident in this article, "enemy" is even quoted), and often cannot accept the fact that others don't subscribe to their religion.

Luckily for most Atheists, these guys are too busy fighting with each other to notice us... but I say most for a reason... some end up getting caught up in this pointless back and forth display of "holier than thou" aggression, and it usually starts with a moderate Atheist asking them to shut up.

I've run into them myself, but I have an uncanny ability to turn things around on people... one way or another, they leave me alone in the end.

However, not everyone can be so lucky.

As I've heard some of them say "I am only your enemy because you declare me to be one, Leave me alone and I'll do the same for you."

It's not a personal attack on you, these Atheists have simply been pushed into an general aggressive stance against religion by bible thumpers.

Either way, me personally, I don't care if you have your prayer day or not. But these guys also view it as an attempt to further destroy separation of church and state. I can see their side, but I don't think it's a battle worth fighting.

Personally, I don't want the religious to go away... debates would become pretty cut and dry... and that to me would be unbearably boring.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join