It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Won't Let the Kids Pray! Bummer :(

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here they go again!
Why can't the Athesists just let the folks pray if they want?

Peice of Article, Source and Questions below...

National Day of Prayer under Attack from Atheists

by Jennifer Mesko, editor

‘We pray without fear of retribution.’

More than 50 years after it was made official by a joint resolution of Congress, the National Day of Prayer is being threatened by a group of atheists.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit, saying the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional and creates a “hostile environment for nonbelievers.”

The Alliance Defense Fund will defend the National Day of Prayer Task Force.

“The lawsuit will not keep us from responding to our call to ask Americans to intercede in prayer for our nation’s leaders and their families,” said Brian Toon, vice chairman of the NDP Task Force. “We pray without fear of retribution.”

The National Day of Prayer falls on the first Thursday of May — May 7 this year. Millions gather across the nation in stadiums, schools, town halls, state capitols, nursing homes and prisons.

“The National Day of Prayer is one more reminder to the enemy that we are not willing to give up our nation,” Toon said.

Kevin Theriot, senior counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, said the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) faces an uphill battle. He said the case may not even reach the courtroom.

“The National Day of Prayer is something that has been done for years,” he told CitizenLink. “The Supreme Court has said that prayers don’t violate the Constitution.

“They (FFRF) have to realize that their chances of succeeding are slim, very slim.”

Source: www.citizenlink.org...

For more information on the Day of Prayer see here: www.savethendop.org...

1) Should this be a day continue to endorsed by the Government?
2) Why would an atheist protest this?
3) Are you ok with the day of prayer? Why?
4) Are you against the Day of Prayer? Why?

Appreciate your thoughts ATS-ers!!!!

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So kids with religious parents are forced to pray.....whats the difference?

No, but it should be allowed due to freedom of speech, but then again (like anything), people should also have the right to disagree with it

Like some religious atheist haters, there are atheists that hate religion (fundamentalists on both sides)

As long as it not force fed or broadcast to those who arent involved/ interested in it, then yes I have no problem with it. Freedom again

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Appreciate the message/response from down under...very balanced!!!

OT thanks you for joining...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I don't practice prayer day, does that makes me evil? while I see the point on the article is not surprise that people can never get alone with each other.

Religion like politics is nothing but a tog a war of wills.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I don't practice prayer day, does that makes me evil? while I see the point on the article is not surprise that people can never get alone with each other.

Religion like politics is nothing but a tog a war of wills.

Thanks for the response...

And to answer your question...you are no more evil than me

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

As long as it not force fed or broadcast to those who arent involved/ interested in it, then yes I have no problem with it. Freedom again

Yeah, this seems reasonable to me too..

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Well it is fair I think

Im atheist and not interested in it, and many people are like me, so its not important news for us. However I do recognise that some people will be interested in it and thats fine by me.

Each to his own

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Edit for double post

[edit on 5/3/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
1) Religion should not be endorsed in any way by the government.

2) Only if they are put in a situation where they are forced to partipate or made to feel like an outsider if they don't. Example: the boss at work wants everyone to get together and pray. Or if their children are exposed to anothers religous beliefs and are made to think that it is the "right" thing to do. Example: Their teacher wants the class to pray together and teaches that prayer to a particular god is the only way to be a good person or saved from eternal damnation. I don't want someone preaching their religion to my childen while they are young enough to be brainwashed. Let them make up their own mind about God when they are adults.

3) What people want to do on their own time is none of my business. People can have their own day of prayer as long as it does not become an official holiday. If people want to get together outside of work, school, etc... and pray, I say let them do it. Just don't infringe on my right not to be exposed to it.

4) See number 3.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Guys, I'm really interested in your answers...but American Idols on and the daughters are yelling dad to get off the computer! I'll check in later

Thanks so much!

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hey, OT! How are you doing?

Originally posted by OldThinker
Here they go again!
Why can't the Athesists just let the folks pray if they want?

4) Are you against the Day of Prayer? Why?

Appreciate your thoughts ATS-ers!!!!

OT

(before main questions) No one is stopping people from praying, they are trying to stop a day set aside for prayer from happening (or being forced on). Stopping people from praying is technically a thought crime, which is wrong.

1) No, because it is unnecessary, like Valentine's Day: why not show the most love you can to [insert loved one here] every day? Why does there have to be a set date?

2) Because atheists can't pray, considering they don't believe in a god.

3) Am I ok with people praying for their country? Not at all. It doesn't really harm anyone. It also doesn't say how you "have" to pray.

4) Considering atheists have no dogma (as their "definition" is that of a person who has a disbelief in god), they are technically singled out.
Even IF I wasn't an atheist, I would still find this day to be discriminatory in some way.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I have no problem with a national day of prayer, but it is something that should be organized by churches across the nation for their members, not endorsed by the federal government.

If the government endorses Prayer Day, shouldn't every group be entitled to a National Day in recognition of its beliefs and not just the largest group?

Anyway, last time I checked, anybody with a desire to do so can pray twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, anywhere in the country that they wish.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by quango

I think its open to anyone that wants to pray

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyindevil
... No one is stopping people from praying, they are trying to stop a day set aside for prayer from happening (or being forced on). Stopping people from praying is technically a thought crime, which is wrong.

fly, I'm great! Thank you for asking...

A "thought crime" ? What an interesting term you use...

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Until this post I had never heard of the National Day of Prayer. I really don't need the government to remind me to pray. I can manage that on my own, do it more than once a day and can tie my shoes too!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
Until this post I had never heard of the National Day of Prayer. I really don't need the government to remind me to pray. I can manage that on my own, do it more than once a day and can tie my shoes too!

??? Actually....

Our government has been doing for over 200 years...where you been

See... www.earlyamerica.com...

This historic proclamation was issued by George Washington during his first year as President. It sets aside Thursday, November 26 as "A Day of Publick Thanksgiving and Prayer."

Signed by Washington on October 3, 1789 and entitled "General Thanksgiving," the decree appointed the day "to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God."

While there were Thanksgiving observances in America both before and after Washington's proclamation, this represents the first to be so designated by the new national government.

After their first harvest, the colonists of the Plymouth Plantation held a celebration of food and feasting in the fall of 1621. Indian chiefs Massassoit, Squanto and Samoset joined in the celebration with ninety of their men in the three-day event.

The first recorded Thanksgiving observance was held on June 29, 1671 at Charlestown, Massachusetts by proclamation of the town's governing council.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

The person stopping the person from praying is a "thought police officer", while the person praying is perpetrating a "thought crime" in the eyes of the "thought police officer".
Or, if you wish, a thought crime could be the act of trying to stop a person from thinking a certain way

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

fly, that's some great stuff...you should write a book

OT

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

2) Because atheists can't pray, considering they don't believe in a god.

I have to disagree with that assertion since I have known a number of atheists who do pray for and to humanity and the goodness in people. Didn't there used to be secular humanists in the USA?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

You got me there! I didn't think of that one, so why do we need yet another?

<<   2  3 >>

join