It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Poles?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I am currently working on getting my BOB together. My destination when TSHTF is far back in the woods, away from the roads (it'll require hiking), but there are streams, and one of the things I've been wondering about is fishing gear. Specifically, if I should invest in one of those collapsible fishing poles that would fit easily into my bag. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they worth it? And my main concern, are they sturdy enough to even bother with? Any help would be much appreciated!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I carry 10 LB leader and #8-12 assorted hooks/sinkers in the handle of one of my skinnin' knives.
a spool in storage.

You can use wild berries/worms for bait, and use the eggs out of one when caught.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I will be honest with you, I've had a horrible experience with the one collapsible fishing pole I purchased. I'm by far no expert in fishing, but I do know enough to go out and bring home the state limit for crappies and shell crackers when I go out. The manufacturer of the pole I purchased slips my mind, but it was the one you would always see on the late night infomercials.

I ordered 3 (1 for myself, my father, and my oldest son). Within a month, my son's pole was broke. Wasn't too worried about that b/c at his age it's expected. But 2 weeks later, both mine and my fathers pole were in the garbage also. The spooling becomes easily entangled and the plastic is easily snapped if you happen to hook one of the larger game fish.

I was out last summer and something hit my line pretty hard. I'm guessing it was either a catfish or a largemouth. I struggled for about 5 minutes. Right when I get whatever was on the hook less than 5 yards from the dock, the pole snaps.

I think you'd be better off with a 5' ugly stick. I've seen poles smaller than that. Try Cabelas.com. Then you have Wal-Mart. They always have deals on rod n reel combos. I bought a 5' ugly stick combo for less than $20. I hope this helped a bit.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I've been a fly fisherman for many years. And I'm a pretty good fly tyer as well. With some feather and thread and fur I can whip up just about anything that can catch fish. I have a number of 6 and 7 piece flyrods that I keep with mine because I know I can catch fish....any kind of fish with 'em.

Just a thought in case conventional tackle is hard to find when the shtf.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
As far as fishing goes, I'm taking some heavy duty line (80lb) to help make sure I land what I catch and help try to pull from snags. As for a pole to stream fish, a sapling with a notch cut in the end so the line doesn't slip off will do. Various drop lines with bells or bobbers here and there will help also. Buy a good spear head you can attach to the end of a stick. Maybe some kind of gill net you can come back and check on. If your in a spot with no current, hang something dead over the water, when the maggots fall off the fish will hang around for easy food and you can catch something quicker.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I purchased a sectional backpacking rod from Cabelas for this very purpose. I also bought a Shimano Symetre 1500 as my reel. I have the rod set in a Cabelas backpacking tube along with a spare spool, which attaches to the side of my Camelback pack.

The fishing items (split shot, hooks, minimal lures) are easily stored in old medicine bottles.

Baits will be from the area...bugs, worms crawdads etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I found a little kit about 6 months ago at Best Buy of all places. It was on clearance for $5. It extends out to 5' and has a full reel with it. It wieghs about a lb. and came with a little bag. I replaced the cheap line with some 10lb sipderwire mono.

I played around with it in the backyard for a while and had some issues extending and collapsing fully. I ended up loosening a guide, but some thread and nail polish fixed that right up. One thing with collapsable rods is NEVER whip it open, always extend it by hand. If you whip it, good luck ever getting it to collapse again.

I used to tie flies when I was younger, great idea of having some of the kit to make your own flies. Thanks for the idea!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
i'd have to go with a ugly stick, durable and portable.
Get you some PVC tube to put it in, and easy carry.

But if you want to be sure to catch the fish, do some reading in your area on the fish hatcheries, see what they feed the fish when they are raising them. A lot of the lakes , streams are stocked, so you give them food they are use to, you stand a good chance of getting dinner.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You don't have to worry to much about fishing equipment, if you are going to actually be living in the area you are fishing.
People spend lots of money on fishing equipment, so they can go there for the day and guarantee to catch a fish.
You will be there all the time.
You can set lines all over the place.Leave them for ages go back and check them.
A net would be of good use.
Some kind of small packagable drift net that you can repair.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Rather than add yet more gear to the collection, why not adapt the gear you already have or can find around the homestead?

My fishing rod is made from gaffa-taped fibreglass dome-tent poles (which also doubles as a bow-linb in an emergency) and have a pair of my g/f's fishnet stockings to use as a gill net for stream funnel-traps...although a mosquito net would work even better to cover a larger area

It's going to be interesting to see what I can catch with that...not to mention the looks/comments from the 'spend-a-fortune-on-gadget-bling' crowd on the bank

[edit on 6-3-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I was recently at one of those gigantic Bass Pro Shops in Tennessee and I came across something you might want to check out. They had these fishing poles called "creek rods" that were about 16" long, including the handle. It was nice and light, seemed relatively sturdy, and was only like $15! With that and a set of hooks/sinkers, you should be good to go for catching small fish! Fly fishing is a great idea too, but it takes practice.

Another idea, which is always best for survival situations, is to be able to make your own fishing pole and line from the natural resources available where you are retreating to. You may end up losing/breaking your pole, and it would be a huge help if you could just make another one!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Off topic a bit, but when I was a boy ( a long time ago ) we used to fish with a small wooden board that was known as an Otter. Briefly, it consisted of a long thin board with a fixed angled rudder attached underneath and with a line of baited hooks tied to the rear. A fishing line was fitted to the front and the Otter was towed along the side of a lake by hand. Anyway, the rudder caused the board to head well out into the lake and always seemed to get a good result. This link might explain what I am getting at, although it describes something slightly different. Might come in handy in the future. Cheers

www.fishandfly.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
When I was a kid we made our poles out of a willow branch... for a hook we heated then bent a sewing needle... bait was whatever we caught in the bushes around the river, flies, worms, beetles... Oh yes we caught fish lots of them...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We used a lot of cane poles growing up, but any sturdy stick would work.

I remember heating up the needles to make hooks, only draw back is you had to keep constant pressure on the line, or they would slip right out of the hook, no barb.

Trot lines or Limb lines would be ideal, set them up, check 2 times a day and have food. Dad and i did that for years growing up. Got a lot of fish that way.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If you already know the streams you will be fishing in, go down there and find out what works best for you.

You might need to net fish instead of using a rod.
You might need live bait or a lure.

Learn what you'll need and how to do it the most efficient way now, this way you won't get stuck out there with no idea as to how to catch these fish.

Also, talk to the locals, they'll have some good tips for you too.

Here's a great example of local knowledge, a fool proof way of catching fish:

Les Hiddens - Bush Tucker Man

Skip to the 8 minute mark to see the bit I'm talking about.

If you have the time watch the full episode though, this guy is an idol to me and I've picked up so many bush survival tips just from watching his shows, I would love to spend a month in the outback with him, would learn so much!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by big gee

That 'otter board' is one smart idea

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks, everyone. Some great info here!

Originally posted by Gigliorononomicon
I was recently at one of those gigantic Bass Pro Shops in Tennessee and I came across something you might want to check out. They had these fishing poles called "creek rods" that were about 16" long, including the handle. It was nice and light, seemed relatively sturdy, and was only like $15! With that and a set of hooks/sinkers, you should be good to go for catching small fish!

Are you sure? I just checked the BPS website and the only "creek rod" they have listed is $85.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrinningMan

Are you sure? I just checked the BPS website and the only "creek rod" they have listed is $85.

Yeah, I'm positive. Here is a link for one they have there, this isn't as small as the ones that I'm referring too, but still only 3' long.

Daiwa Shorty Rod

p.s. I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to shopping sites, if not please let me know and I'll take it down!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrinningMan
Thanks, everyone. Some great info here!

I guess I should splane a bit better for info sake..

Why we used a sewing needle is they have an eye and in a pinch you can use heavy sewing thread rather then fishing line (Just don't let your mom catch you) If you don't heat the needle it will snap rather then bend my brother and I used to do that on the gas stove just wait until it glows and apply pressure. Again don't let your mom catch you doing this with her best sewing stuff I think I still have a few faded scars to show how well that worked out for me.

Why Willow wood, well any green would will work, green so it will bend if you get a big one. old dry wood likes to snap... better to save those branches for cooking fires...

As severdsoul pointed out the advantage to make em your self is with little effort you can set out a a lot of lines with what you have right there in front of you. Of course we are assuming a SHTF and no cares about limits anymore.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Maybe you could try trot lines or limb lines. Instead of spending 2 hrs. after 1 fish you could get more in the same amount of time

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join