It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filmmaker plans "Eyeborg" eye-socket camera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Filmmaker plans "Eyeborg" eye-socket camera

www.reuters.com

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Canadian filmmaker plans to have a mini camera installed in his prosthetic eye to make documentaries and raise awareness about surveillance in society.

Rob Spence, 36, who lost an eye in an accident as a teen-ager, said his so-called Project Eyeborg is to have the camera, a battery and a wireless transmitter mounted on a tiny circuit board. www.eyeborgblog.com/
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok, this is getting scary.
I want the voices to stop. Am I living in the future.
I mean, it wasn't that long ago that Pong was released and it was the coolest thing ever. We all thought " Wow this is crazy, I can't believe it's possible to controll something on a screen.

Camcorders came out and we were blown away that we could personally own our own recording studio.

I just posted a thread about a new virtual reality headset that mimics all five senses and now..........

.....People are implanting G damn cameras in their eyesockets!!!!!!!

I want off this ride. I mean come on. Is it going to be that long before we all have to have one of these??

It will be like the next craze. A tiny camera implanted in your eyeball that sends a WiFi signal to a larghe database which is constantly monitored by Government agents.......
Aghhhhhh, I want off this ride!!!!!

www.reuters.com

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Creepy for sure, but the idea could pave the way for bionic vision if the camera's CCD chip signals can be sent down the optic nerve

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Cool, Zeiss Ikon eyes, right out of William Gibson.

Now where is Tally Isham when you need her?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Yes but the higher technology would bypass "bionic vision" and we would be able to just grow a new eyeball in your head.
I can see alot of negative uses for this but, like anything, there are always negative uses.

T.V.
Internet
Radio
Telephones
Hammer
Guns
Knives

On and on and on.
What are more positive ways to use this technology?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
AWESOME!!

I want 2 mounted to the back of my head!!!

so i can see when someone is sneaking up on me. i can be like... YO!! I SEE YOU FOOL!!!

busted...

i would mount them in teddy bears and give them to hot chicks to keep in their bathrooms muahahahahahahaha

(not really thats creepy and they would probably find it and sue me pretty bad) HAHA

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

LMFAO!
That was great. Thanks for the laugh.

People would be like - "man, it's like he has eyes in the back of his head".
Forget about playing hide and seek.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirkDiggler

Ok, this is getting scary.
I want the voices to stop. Am I living in the future.
I mean, it wasn't that long ago that Pong was released and it was the coolest thing ever. We all thought " Wow this is crazy, I can't believe it's possible to controll something on a screen.

Camcorders came out and we were blown away that we could personally own our own recording studio.

I just posted a thread about a new virtual reality headset that mimics all five senses and now..........

.....People are implanting G damn cameras in their eyesockets!!!!!!!

I want off this ride. I mean come on. Is it going to be that long before we all have to have one of these??

It will be like the next craze. A tiny camera implanted in your eyeball that sends a WiFi signal to a larghe database which is constantly monitored by Government agents.......
Aghhhhhh, I want off this ride!!!!!

www.reuters.com

It's only scary in the eyes of a conspiracy theorist. If your a visionary, the prospects become much more cool.

This paves the way for having implants in living eyes that can see what you're looking at or who you are looking at, access a database remotely and show you a readout of data inside your eye about the person you are looking at or talking with.

What does that mean? Imagine these possibilities when you encounter some hot chick at a club. Your "bionic" eye has sent an image of this chick to a wireless server with a database set to receive data that your eye sends. Facial recognition software scans and recognizes the hot chick, identifies her and a database search pulls up all sorts of public information, then sends that back to you - and the following data comes up inside your eye as a readout:

* She's 24 years old, not married, never been married, currently lives in your city and county
* She's currently late on her electric bill
* She got a speeding ticket last month - hey, there's a great way to break the ice, go up to her and start talking about how much you hate it when you get a ticket.

Or can you imagine impressing that new hot chick at the Museum of Modern Art - you know nothing about art but that bionic eye is giving you all the info you need about those paintings and sculptures to royally impress her.

It can be a good thing. All depends on how you look at it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Just wait till people starting electronically hacking into them, causing false imagery and recording everything that a person sees.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Why is this surprising?

Do we not put camera's in eyeglasses, hair, clothes, pens, tangibles?

To have an eye camera strikes me as ridiculous but not surprising...Camera's are so tiny now I wouldn't be surprised to see them in skin in a few years (nano-machine-like?).

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Yeah but there would be that one psycho stalker dude (there's one in every bunch) who says
"hey, how's your new house on 1234 Main St."?
"I used to live in that neighborhood"
"Don't you hate when Bank Of America gives you overdraft fees? I am so ready to swith banks"
She's going to be all like "uhhhh, who are you and why do you know so much about me"?
"Ohh, I was just trying to make conversation. I thought you could use a friend to talk to. I know things are tough in your life right now. I know you are two monthsbehind on your rent soooo.....If you ever need a couch to crash on...........

LOL.
Yes it could get pretty crazy in a cool way.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Damn primitive hardware really.

Its just a dinky camera.

Don't you think there already exists hardware that 'you can put in teddy bears' and give to girls?

Course there is...
You can buy that kind of stuff on the high street.
Just google it.

Problem is that they're rubbish... at least from the blind guys point of view.
A camera in a mans eye doesn't let him see.

It just sees instead and he's still blind..

Eyeball cameras....
Next we can all complain about people seeing us.
Visual testimony so to speak.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Creepy for sure, but the idea could pave the way for bionic vision if the camera's CCD chip signals can be sent down the optic nerve

Well on its' way if not already here. Jerry was implanted in 1978!!!

Jerry, who was one of the first two subjects to receive the brain implants in 1978, successfully demonstrated that this limited artificial vision could serve as an aid to the blind. Never before had such a feat been accomplished.

Artificial Vision: Can Brain Implants Make the Blind See?
Video Link

Makes you wonder what else they have been dealing with, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirkDiggler
reply to post by sos37

Yeah but there would be that one psycho stalker dude (there's one in every bunch) who says
"hey, how's your new house on 1234 Main St."?
"I used to live in that neighborhood"
"Don't you hate when Bank Of America gives you overdraft fees? I am so ready to swith banks"
She's going to be all like "uhhhh, who are you and why do you know so much about me"?
"Ohh, I was just trying to make conversation. I thought you could use a friend to talk to. I know things are tough in your life right now. I know you are two monthsbehind on your rent soooo.....If you ever need a couch to crash on...........

LOL.
Yes it could get pretty crazy in a cool way.

That's when the calls for public data privacy rights will REALLY pick up steam. Not a one liner.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Cool...

This will be fun,

Lets explore that one further.

Since the item in question simply records an individuals point of view, In effect its a visual recording of his memory.

How exactly does this infarct the privacy of another individual and how can that be a bad thing?

There are a good few occasions where I cannot remember what I seen, a few occasions where I would like to forget what I have done and a couple of occasions where I would love to have had better recall of the situation.

Why is even the possibility of resolving this a bad thing?
After all.... Its my experience is it not?

Cheers.
Absence.

new topics

top topics

join