It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greyhound bus killer found not criminally responsible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Greyhound bus killer found not criminally responsible

www.cbc.ca

Vince Li has been found not criminally responsible in the unprovoked killing and beheading of fellow passenger Timothy McLean on a Greyhound bus last summer.

Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench Judge John Scurfield said Thursday that Li, 40, could not be found guilty of murder and is not criminally responsible for the crime because he was mentally ill at the time of the killing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Speechless, thats all I can say. Would an episode really lead you to doing something like this? it seems pretty out there??

I understand that mental illness can lead you to do some pretty wacky stuff, but this just seems beyond brutal to me. The crazy thing is that they would have to discuss whether he’s a threat to society! he killed someone for goodness sake!

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The justice system up here makes me sick. Let's look at the facts. He sawed a guy's head off for no reason, he ate some of it. Yeah the guy might be mental, but that is a VERY good reason to lock him up and throw away the key. Do we really need someone like that in society? No, we need him someplace that he will never have human contact again.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I am too confused at the ineptness of the court to feel much at this moment in time. There are too many inconsistencies for me to feel that there was no reason behind the killing. Let's take this example. If Li was coherent enough to lie for self-preservation, then he was coherent enough to be locked up and forgotten.

Li heard voices from God telling him that McLean was an evil threat that needed to be eliminated, the psychiatrists said

A classic, however eliminating someone is very different from:

Li had pleaded not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder. Psychiatric evidence at his trial suggested he is a schizophrenic who suffered a major psychotic episode last July 30 when he stabbed McLean, 22, to death, ate some of the young victim's body parts and cut off McLean's head

Secondly: After the killing, Li was quoted as having apologized, another indicator of the man's intent.

He comes under the jurisdiction of Manitoba's provincial review board, which will decide whether he poses a risk to the public

What is there to decide? Has he not proven enough already?

Maddening-

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Call me simple, or just plain old ignorant, but I think the system could have saved itself a whack of dough by simply noting the obvious when this incident occurred . . .

Then again, I guess a guy sitting on a greyhound bus doing his lumberjack impression on a neckstump of some unsuspecting victim all while singing the theme to Oklahoma! just might be sane.

Good thing we've got all those psychoanalysts around . . . maybe they can ply their craft with the 'economists' now and figure out that we may/maynot/are/might be soon in a recession/depression/economic slump.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm from Winnipeg. I didn't know Tim but some of my friends did. I went to his funeral to help stop those Westboro Baptist loonies from protesting outside his funeral. They never showed because they feared for their safety. Anyways Tims family and friends came out in a line and thanked the hundreds of people that came out in support. I'll never forget the look on Tim's moms face, she made eye contact and thanked every person individually. I can't even imagine what they've gone through this past year. Now the guy that murdered their family and friend is found NOT criminally responsible. Wow!

Whether Vince Li was mentally ill at the time or not he still committed the crime and should be found criminally responsible. Obviously the guy is nuts and should receive medical help but that doesn't change the fact that HE committed the crime. He cut off Tim McLean's head and mutilated his body. Does it really matter why? The crime was committed no matter the reason. The legal system here in Canada is a joke! That's just my opinion though.

How many people on that bus are traumatized for life by what they saw? What about Tim's family and friends? Justice? Apparently not in Winnipeg.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
We'll shoot a horse for breaking it's leg, then make an excuse for this tumor on society?

Rather than asking whether he was sane or not, the court should have asked themselves if sanity is even relevant here.

If a bear comes into town looking for some grub, and ends up mauling a citizen, they shoot him dead. Did the bear know that it was committing "murder"? No, he acted on instinct, and we'd shoot him for hit.

This guy should be drown in a shallow tub of water. but instead he'll be institutionalized and tax dollars will provide him better room, board, and medical care than many law abiding citizens have access to. And for what? Is there some return on investment we're not aware of?

Do the human race a favor, put this guy in the ground, and donate the $150k + a year that would be spent on him to a local homeless shelter.

To be entitled to human rights, you must first act like a human. Not knowing what you're doing is no excuse. Behave like an animal, with intent or not, and you should be treated like one.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Another fine specimen for the psych-acredited to salivate over in the coming years...
Or, maybe they'll "cure" him and he can go into politics...

Justice they determined, at any rate

I feel for the family and friends of his victim.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Can we agree that mental illness exists? Can you also agree that mental illness isn't confined to talking to yourself or taking a range of medications to make you docile while playing parcheesi? Unfortunatley there ARE people that are mentally ill that can and do SNAP and create this kind of havok. Alot of these people go undiagnosed and treated until the unthinkable happens. Granted there are a large amount of people who try to abuse the system by claiming insanity for truly heinous actions. But there are REAL cases where people like this do finally break ALL THE WAY. While I am a firm death penalty proponent, no where in this article or even in common sense says that this guy will be "rehabbed" and released in 10 years. Let this guy go to the mental ward and at least have a chance. Because until you have or live with someone with a true mental illness you will not understand. People that suffer from this level of mental illness generally can't control it nor want it. They don't use it to shroud thier actions. It just happens. I am not saying this guy is TRULY mentally disturbed, but I am saying that dismissing the possibility because of the agregiousness of the crime is just not right.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Of course mental illness exists. Is this guy mentally ill? My position is that it's irrelevant. He's a danger to society, so he cannot be allowed to exist within society. To keep him clothed, sheltered, fed and healthy costs money. Not his money, your money, my money. He's essentially a ridiculously expensive pet. A pet that poses an extreme danger to society if he ever digs under the fence (so to speak).

So, either he's crazy, and too dangerous to ever integrate into society, or he's sane, knew exactly what he was doing, and is too dangerous to ever integrate into society. Either way, it's irresponsible to allow him to continue to live. Human beings have instincts too, and it would be better to let our defensive instincts handle situations like this, and simply remove the danger, just as a bear will kill a coyote that poses a danger to her cubs. Compassion has absolutely no place in cases like this. To argue that point is akin to arguing against defusing a bomb because it doesn't know it's dangerous.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I've run into these opinions many, many more times in my life than any bleeding-heart stance, so I wonder why things don't change. Are the bleeding-hearts really the majority everywhere, or are they just more likely to take action?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus_Unknown

It always gets me mad when criminals get away with murder (literally in this case) because they sought mental illness in court. Claiming mental illness should be banned from courts.

Maybe we should do what they did in Back to the Future 2 -- abolish all lawyers.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Abolish all lawyers, and crime drops by 45%.

Abolish all politicians, and it drops another 45%.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I agree with absolutely everything you said but I'm against completely against the death penalty. I don't believe he will ever be let out of the psych/prison ward. Most mentally ill people are not violent but many violent people are mentally ill and they may be cured of some illness or chemical imbalance or tumor or seizure but the capacity for that kind of violence and that kind of savagery is not something that can be cured, IMHO. A person either has that capacity in them or they don't.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
He isn't going to be released into society. He's going to be put into treatment for his obviously very dangerous form of schizophrenia.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't think that there should be any type of plea like "not guilty by reason of insanity".

Instead the plea should be like "guilty but insane".

Should there ever come a time where the person is judged sane, then they can server their time in a jail. Until they are judged sane, they can be housed with the criminally insane.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I KNEW IT! I called it when it happened. He was given PCP so yes he was mentally ill at the time it happened. Don't do PCP kids!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Canada outlawed capital punishment, and a life sentence in Canada is only 25 years. So either he is found guilty and goes to jail for the max 25 years. Or they lock him up in a mental facility for the rest of his life. He actually has a better chance of being kept from society as long a his doctors ALWAYS say he posses too great a risk to society to be released.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

There in lies the ASSUMPTION...did he KNOW what he was doing? Yes you can argue that for someone to put that level of thought into dissecting someone indicates knowledge, I argue and can point to MANY psychological and psychiatric journals that refute your view. IF he was "faking" it to say, then by all means he needs to feel the full extent of the law. But this has every marker of someon truly ill. The last group of people to summarily execute metally ill people are....you know who I am gonna say so I won't because I respect your view and don't want to lump you into that group. You assume you KNOW what was in this guys head....you don't ...just as I can't say what is floating through your head. You can guess or even hypothesize but with mental illness you would be wrong more often than not.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So, I'd like to see some spending statistics. I wonder how much money is spent keeping people who will never be released fed, sheltered, clothed, medicated, etc...

Then I'd like to compare that to what countries like Canada and the US spend on feeding, clothing, sheltering and caring for the health of their respective homeless populations.

I'd wager that if the numbers were even close, there wouldn't be a homeless population.

A couple of weeks ago, I read an account of a homeless man found dead of starvation. On the same day, I read about a Georgia inmate that was flown to Florida on a Leer Jet for treatment of a pulmonary problem, at a cost to the tax-payers of $75,000.00.

A quick google netted that national studies have concluded that the average cost of institutional care for the criminally insane is roughly $130,000.00 per inmate, per year in the US. If we assume he's only got 40 years left in him, the court just put the taxpayer on the hook for over 5 million dollars, to care for a man who would just as soon cut your head off as smile at you.

There are cases of mentally ill people who need, and deserve all the help we can give them. This guy is not one of them. The arresting officers should have put a 15 cent bullet between his eyes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join