It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be your Ideal UFO/Alien Movie/Book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Howdy everyone...

I am interested in getting a general feel of what people's general ideal UFO/Alien Movie/Book would be?

I'm an amatuer writer and I am writing a sci fi trilogy that is set in the present day. Yes it's a UFO/Alien story and I have already got the plot line and story set out for each book so I'm not looking at stealing people's ideas, but I thought it would be great to get a general consensus of what people would like in my book without revealing my plot/story line. I have already started writing book one.

I know that sounds kinda lame but here are my thoughts on what I would like to see and not to see:

1) I am sick of stories where ALL the aliens are baddies. Where are the good ones?
2) Why do they always have to stay on earth? I want to go off world too.
3) I like to add a little conspiracy to my stories, mix fiction with some facts/possible truth.
4) I like a little romance, but not that it takes over the story and gets too sappy.
5) I'd like my ideal story to be as close to some truth as possible to make people think "could this really happen/could this have any truth to it"?
6) Give me big and bad lazer shooting hi-tec Alien space craft.
7) The right balance of action, adventure, romance and drama, and good thought provoking storyline wins me over.
8) A mixture of bad and good aliens is what I like to see, as well as good and bad humans.
9) I like a little comedy to lighten up the story as well.
10) Good character development is important.

I can't think of anything else that comes to mind without giving too much away.

So fire away...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hi Misswanderer. I've watched this site for years and your post finally made me join. I have very similar feelings to yours about the ideal scifi book or movie. I have read so many scifi books that it has become hard for me to find a good new one. I finally figured if no one else would write the book I would most like to read then I would. I discovered two things.
#1 I have a truly awesome idea! (no one that I know of has done this yet)#2 I'm not very good at writing. Is there any way we could communicate? I would be willing to send you what I've written so far.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by misswanderer31

This is interesting because I just watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" uncut and in letterbox on TCM. That movie was and still is a masterpiece. It is highly emotional, especially the first contact scenes with the aliens. Mr Spielberg treats the subject with intelligence and does not make fun of it. The characters are ordinary people who have extraordinary experiences, and he brings it to the screen masterfully. The effects are still top notch, and the score by John Williams brings in the emotion.

CE3K is by far the best film about aliens and UFOs ever to come out of Hollywood.

The best TV movie is "The UFO Incident" about the Betty and Barney Hill case. I would love to watch that one again, as it has been a long time since I saw that one. It is considered widely to be the best TV movie of all time. I think the raw performances by Estelle Parsons and James Earl Jones is what makes the movie. Any other actors would have ruined it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by miketwosix
Hi Misswanderer. I've watched this site for years and your post finally made me join. I have very similar feelings to yours about the ideal scifi book or movie. I have read so many scifi books that it has become hard for me to find a good new one. I finally figured if no one else would write the book I would most like to read then I would. I discovered two things.
#1 I have a truly awesome idea! (no one that I know of has done this yet)#2 I'm not very good at writing. Is there any way we could communicate? I would be willing to send you what I've written so far.

Hi miketwosix and welcome to ATS/BTS

If you are serious about writing your book I wouldn't be so fast to share your ideas with any old joe bloggs just yet. Though if you feel you can absolutely trust the person you want to read and bounce ideas off then go for it. You don't want someone to rip your idea off if you are serious about writing it.

I improved my writing by attending a creative writing night course at uni. Which helped alot.

I just posted this as I wanted a general consensus about what people would like and if my story would appeal to the broader audience.

My sister and a very close friend of mine who is american are my critics and help edit my story for me. My american friend helps immensely since the story is set in the USA.

However if you trust me enough that is fine. I love my story that I have created and won't change it. You can always p2p me/send me an email on here.

Good luck

MW31

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

This is interesting because I just watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" uncut and in letterbox on TCM. That movie was and still is a masterpiece. It is highly emotional, especially the first contact scenes with the aliens. Mr Spielberg treats the subject with intelligence and does not make fun of it. The characters are ordinary people who have extraordinary experiences, and he brings it to the screen masterfully. The effects are still top notch, and the score by John Williams brings in the emotion.

CE3K is by far the best film about aliens and UFOs ever to come out of Hollywood.

The best TV movie is "The UFO Incident" about the Betty and Barney Hill case. I would love to watch that one again, as it has been a long time since I saw that one. It is considered widely to be the best TV movie of all time. I think the raw performances by Estelle Parsons and James Earl Jones is what makes the movie. Any other actors would have ruined it.

Hi kidflash2008

CE3K is one of my all time favourites, as well as Contact and the TV mini series V.

I have watched probably most/a lot of the sci fi/alien movies out there but I haven't watched "The UFO Incident". I will have to try and find a copy of that one.

My story isn't a non-fiction documentary about true life experiences, it is a fictional story, but the underlining themes carry some conspiracy and true life theories or experiences.

My question to you is... would you prefer all aliens as the baddies? or good and bad?

MW31

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

As you can see from my choice, it is mainly about character and the human condition. We don't know much about the aliens, and it seems we are losing touch with who we are. The humanity is what the story should really be about. The aliens and ships are the plot, but it is how we react that makes the story compelling.

The scene in CE3K where Jillian loses Barry to the Mother Ship is a very powerful scene emotionally. The aliens may not realize the great pain they are causing Jillian by taking her child.

The other main scenes deal with Roy Neary and his emotional breakdown as he tries to figure out what is going on in his head (the psychic message to meet at Devil's Tower).

That is what will sell your book/screenplay. The human condition set against a fantastic setting.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Thank you kidflash2008 for your insight and points of view... I really appreciate your thoughts.

My story, the core basic storyline is about the human condition. Relationships between parent and child, and how human's, good and bad react to those who are different from us.

thanks again...

MW31

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You're welcome, and I do look forward to your completed work.

[edit on 3/8/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
1) I am sick of stories where ALL the aliens are baddies. Where are the good ones?

Me too. Im also sick of aliens always being more ugly (in our eyes) and inferior to humans. Its not a realistic scenario and yet we have to see it again and again in sci-fi.

More off-world and even off-dimension plots would be good.

3) I like to add a little conspiracy to my stories, mix fiction with some facts/possible truth.

Relating to reality makes for good science-fiction because it can only be appreciated in contrast to reality.

4) I like a little romance, but not that it takes over the story and gets too sappy.

Sure. How about a bit of soul-mate-like romance between two characters who hardly ever interact within the whole thing.

5) I'd like my ideal story to be as close to some truth as possible to make people think "could this really happen/could this have any truth to it"?

Again, thats what makes for good science-fiction. Going completely fantasy without anything anyone can relate to makes for really trashy sci-fi. So yeah. Make it real.

Cliche. Maybe something else. Maybe an invisible laser that turns that which it hits into dust (just an example).

7) The right balance of action, adventure, romance and drama, and good thought provoking storyline wins me over.

Fair enough. But going too broad un-focusses your story and it looses its unique touch. Dont try to be everything for everyone imo.

8) A mixture of bad and good aliens is what I like to see, as well as good and bad humans.

Which is natural.

See 7)

Yes. What turns me off is when characters are described to such detail that nothing is left to imagination and when dialogues are unnatural/unlikely or too stale.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Me too. Im also sick of aliens always being more ugly (in our eyes) and inferior to humans. Its not a realistic scenario and yet we have to see it again and again in sci-fi.

"My point exactly!!! Great minds think alike!"

More off-world and even off-dimension plots would be good.

"Yeah, mix it up alittle. I hate staying on earth all the time. Where's the fun in that?"

Relating to reality makes for good science-fiction because it can only be appreciated in contrast to reality.

"Yeah... so people can relate to it.. absolutely."

Sure. How about a bit of soul-mate-like romance between two characters who hardly ever interact within the whole thing.

"LOL have you been reading my writing? shhhh you are going to give too much of my storyline away......"

Again, thats what makes for good science-fiction. Going completely fantasy without anything anyone can relate to makes for really trashy sci-fi. So yeah. Make it real.

"See 3)"

Cliche. Maybe something else. Maybe an invisible laser that turns that which it hits into dust (just an example).

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Not too cliche but I would like to see more ship action... If you know what I mean. But not too "red lazer" blowing things up so it looks really corny."

Fair enough. But going too broad un-focusses your story and it looses its unique touch. Dont try to be everything for everyone imo.

"I know what you mean here. The Heart or Core of my story is the human/alien emotional ties which a heck of a lot of people will deffinately relate to. The Aliens, Spaceships and worlds are the pretty plots and scenes that make it look good."

Which is natural.

"Agreed!"

See 7)

"Yup!"

Yes. What turns me off is when characters are described to such detail that nothing is left to imagination and when dialogues are unnatural/unlikely or too stale.

"Yeah, I think the trick here is trying to get the balance just right. So I hope I will have."

Thanks for your feedback... It really helps to know I've got most things right.

MW31

P.S. with all these smiley faces and clowns, where are the alien ones?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
---You need a conflict of some kind, so if they are good, will still need some kind of conflict...

---Yep, lets see an alien world/society...

---See V the Miniseries...

---Then keep it limited to just two main characters...

---Stick with the Grays then....

---Heck yeah, but doesn't fit too well with goody aliens...

---Again, see the V Miniseries...

---See above....

---Probably best provided by a single character (like Randy Quaid's in ID4, or Will Smith's one-liners)

---Yep, so don't throw too many characters in, and make them distinctive with identifying traits....

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Better late than never but thank you Gazrok for your input... and everyone else that has commented on this post... I am working on my book at the moment and its coming along great! Hopefully the UFO/Alien buffs won't rip me to shreads once its completed and published... people just need to keep in mind its fiction

[edit on 1-12-2009 by misswanderer31]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Return to witch mountain ,the one with "The Rock" in it was a good alien movie.

It had most of what you wanted and was entertaining.

I prefer the friendly aliens and not the ones that zap us with death rays.

I don't think you would find a report of evil aliens even though abductee's say they are not always treated nice.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If it's fiction, and doesn't claim to be more than that...no way buffs could "rip you apart"...artistic license and all that.

Personally, I'd love to see a fictional account based on the alleged founding of Majestic, etc. I know "Dark Skies" somewhat did this, but I mean taken to a more "out there" way, but commenting on the people who allegedly were involved.

I know the docs are HIGHLY questionable, but the timeline created is truly fascinating (and very applaudable, if it really is fiction)....

top topics

join